Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Recommend my first DLG

Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend my first DLG

Great forum! New member, first post. I'm looking for recommendations on a DLG. I've been flying for around 25 years, a little bit of everything from 1/2 A to twin .60 warbirds, a few electric gliders and a short run at a helicopter- all sport flying, never any competition. Now I'd like to slide over into DLG's for a new experience. My budget is around $250 - $300. I'm not looking for a competition ship or a heavy trainer- something in the middle that will have good performance without sacrificing strength. I don't want to get a plane that I will outgrow in the near future, but am not looking to sacrifice durability for the last ounce of performance. With all the choices out there, and the subtle differences in performance, I am looking to you guys- the experts- for help. I know that there are always personal preferences that factor in, and there is no "right" ship for me, but I have no experience whatsoever, so any advice you can give will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM
TIA

Default RE: Recommend my first DLG

I'm in the same boat as you but you've put the question much more clearly than I ever could have done. Nice job!

From my experience in looking it seems like a used ship will be in order.

I have found that Kennedy Composites makes nice planes as well as Polecat, but Polecat is currently taking a break from the hobby.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I hope AEAJR chimes in here soon as he will prolly have the best advice.

http://www.kennedycomposites.com/blaster2.htm

http://www.polecataero.com/products/sidewinder2

Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO you build? If so there's several good kits out there to be had in the $70-$80 range. That would allow you to outfit it and still come in under budget.

Gambler is a good little DLG A friend built one as his first build and it came out great
http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/products/gambler.htm

Mountain Models has a wing and two woody DLGs
http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25_28

There are more kits available but I'm just waking up here and am a bit fuzzy still.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
TIA

Ugh! How could I forget my friend Bob??? Sorry about that Bro-Meister!!!

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=294

Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about the Fling DLG from Tower?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM

I shy away from used ships- never know what has happened to it throughout its life. Even if its well maintained, it could be tired.

I do build, though with two little kids, my building time is limited. Can't wait to be retired! Also I'm looking for something more along the lines of a composite wing, (though built up is fine also), with a fiberglass or carbon / kevlar type fuse. I've got the time to assemble a kit, but not build up from pieces. Planes along the lines of the HYPER 2 from NE Sailplanes, or the SOLO, X-RAY or PEARL from Soaring USA. My $250 - $300 budget doesn't include radio gear, just the airframe.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:13 AM

Alot of the hollow wing DLG's can be fragile according to some owners - have you looked at the bagged foam models?
Easier to repair and less fragile in general.

Cam
Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 PM

By bagged foam you mean a foam core covered in veneer and then bagged? I imagine they are heavier than composite, but stronger? By hollow wing are you meaning traditional built up with ribs, or another method? What is the consensus on the different types of wing and their tradeoffs? I imagine the tradeoffs are along he lines of strength vs weight along with maintinaing an airfoil. Again I am looking for a robust performance plane- beyond a trainer, but not a full out competition ship.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:49 PM
TIA

FYI

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728220]DLG[/link]

Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Yeah, it's all there.

Basically, by "bagged" I mean foam cores with composite (fibreglass/carbon/kevlar or combos) skins applied with resin under vacuum in a vac bag. This produces very light strong wings. Hollow refers to wings made in a mould - top and bottom skins usually a sandwich of glass/foam or glass/balsa etc, which have spars instaled before joining. These are VERY strong/light and accurate, but more delicate to dings and tricky to repair. Most seious comp gliders are made this way.

Built-up traditional wings are possible, but tend to be at the lower end of the performance spectrum as a rule.

The DL50 is an easy build glassed foam model with balsa pod/carbon boom, cheap, easy to install gear, and flies well. It's a good taster befoe going "all-out" with a bagged/hollow 4-6 chanel glider.

Cam
Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob McSmith

Great forum! New member, first post. I'm looking for recommendations on a DLG. I've been flying for around 25 years, a little bit of everything from 1/2 A to twin .60 warbirds, a few electric gliders and a short run at a helicopter- all sport flying, never any competition. Now I'd like to slide over into DLG's for a new experience. My budget is around $250 - $300. I'm not looking for a competition ship or a heavy trainer- something in the middle that will have good performance without sacrificing strength. I don't want to get a plane that I will outgrow in the near future, but am not looking to sacrifice durability for the last ounce of performance. With all the choices out there, and the subtle differences in performance, I am looking to you guys- the experts- for help. I know that there are always personal preferences that factor in, and there is no "right" ship for me, but I have no experience whatsoever, so any advice you can give will be appreciated. Thanks
These sites have DLGs in your price range. Take a look.

I have a Polecat XP-5 and love it but I don't think they are being made at this time.

Hobby Club has several
http://www.hobbyclub.com/index.php?cPath=21_33

NE Sailplanes DLGs
http://www.nesail.com/categories.php?subcatID=32

Soaring USA
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=294

Polecat Sidewinder II - $300 - Not sure if these are being produced at this time, but a great plane for the money.
http://www.polecataero.com/products/sidewinder2/

Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM

No one recommends the reasonably priced Fling DLG?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
TIA

ORIGINAL: Bob McSmith

I'm looking for recommendations on a DLG. I've been flying for around 25 years, I don't want to get a plane that I will outgrow in the near future, but am not looking to sacrifice durability for the last ounce of performance. Thanks
Can you clarify this a little more?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

No one recommends the reasonably priced Fling DLG?
As a first try budget DLG, it is OK. Specs are 12-14 ounces. The few I have seen have been around 13 and have had problems with boom breakage. A pull pull elevator and rudder linkage should work well but people seem to have a problem getting it set up correctly. The fling is in the 5.5 to 6 ounce wing loading range. That is high.

Doesn't mean it won't fly or thermal but if you have the budget, there are better choices.

Midrange DLGs ($250 to $300), like the Sidewinder or the Hyper are in the 9.5-10.5 range with wing loadings in the 4.5-5 ounce range.

Competition models, ( typically over $400) like the XP-5, are frequently under 9 ounce with wing loadings around 4 ounces.

13 ounces compared to 10 ounces is HUGE, and compared to 8.5 is monsterous.

There are strenght and airfoil differences too, but these are just a few easy comparisons.

If you have a budget of $100 for a DLG and it has to be an ARF, then it has to be the Fling. If you can build, then your first DLG should be the Gambler.

If you have a budget of $300, then bypass the Fling quickly and go to one of the midrange birds. Some are quite good and do well in competition.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:14 PM

Have you ever flown the original Fling? The small two channel polyhedral one?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:24 PM

I have. Fun little plane when launched off the included hi-start.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM

polecat sidwinder 2 1 dlg 1 yr old at 10.2 oz
4 mager crashes
Old 04-19-2009, 05:24 AM

Bob,

Did you get a DLG? What did you do?