Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Great Planes suggested Electronic Speed Control Spectra ARF/Select

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Great Planes suggested Electronic Speed Control Spectra ARF/Select

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Great Planes suggested Electronic Speed Control Spectra ARF/Select

Does anybody know if instructions or a manual is available for this ESC? Anyway to test it? I bought it for the GP Spectra ARF, but it doesn't seem to work. Tell me the truth, is it just a piece of junk? When I first wired it up, I had a red led and the motor worked briefly, servos are working. Now I can't get the motor to spin. Even tried servo reversing on that chanel. Is there someway to test it?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBNC5&P=V
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes suggested Electronic Speed Control Spectra ARF/Select

Are you using the stock Goldfire can motor? I'd suggest replacing it with a small outrunner with ESC and a LiPo battery. Much lighter and MUCH better power.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Tom Nied

Yes, I'm using the stock motor for starters. I'll be adding the Great Planes gear reduction and a larger prop. But so far, I can't even get this to run. I'm guessing this ESC is shot. Does that ever happen?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Tom Nied

Would this be a better replacement? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKBF5&P=ML
Great Planes ElectriFly C-35 Mini Brushed ESC w/BEC
Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest I'm not sure. You might be better off posting your question in the electric planes section. I've never used any of the Great Planes power systems so I'm not sure what works with what.

On my spectra (kit built) I started off with the stock motor w/o a speed controller and found it to be greatly lacking in power. I will be changing it out to an E-flite 10 with a 3c LiPo. The system will weigh a lot less and have more power to it.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah thanks scaflock. That's what the guy at my LHS told me as well. But he agreed it would take considerable money to do it right (brushless motor, ESC, lipo batteries, charger) I'm going to try the Great Planes gear reduction, larger folding prop and a better ESC. If it flies at all, at this point I'll be somewhat happy. If performance is so bad that its almost unflyable, I'll either sell it or maybe upgrade to the better components. My initial mistake was thinking I would try a simple electric glider. Maybe I'll just strap on nice honking .40 glow engine (something I'm familiar with).
Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Tom Nied

scaflock, do you mean the Eflite Power 10 BL Outrunner Motor, 1100 Kv?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

Does anybody know if instructions or a manual is available for this ESC? Anyway to test it? I bought it for the GP Spectra ARF, but it doesn't seem to work. Tell me the truth, is it just a piece of junk? When I first wired it up, I had a red led and the motor worked briefly, servos are working. Now I can't get the motor to spin. Even tried servo reversing on that chanel. Is there someway to test it?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBNC5&P=V

Tom,

If you bought an ESC from tower and it doesn't work, send it back. What's the big mystery? Sometimes parts are defective.

I am sure you know there is a switch on the ESC that turns off power to the motor. The servos may work but the motor will not. Flip the switch. This is an safety feature.

What battery are you using? The instructions at the Tower page say to use it ONLY with a 7 cell pack. What are you using?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Tom Nied

aeajr, Yes I think I will send it back to Tower even though I bought it a year ago, I'm pretty sure its fried. This is my first speed control install and with no instructions its a little frustrating. My LHS salesperson tells me that it is possible they can be bad from the start. So I'll probably send it back. I eventually did figure out the built in safety features these ESC have, still doesn't work for me. Even tried servo reversing on that channel. They really should include some kind of instruction sheet.

The battery I'm using is the recommended 7 cell, Great Planes 7-Cell 2100mAh Flat NiCd Battery Pack.

Although I will be sending the original GP ESC back, I've ordered a Great Planes ElectriFly C-35 Mini Brushed ESC w/BEC. This project has turned into a nightmare. I thought it was going to be simple, now I'll be surprised if it flies at all.

Thank you for your help.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That ESC is the replacement part for the RTF plane, so no instructions should be needed. The only person who would buy that ESC is someone who is replacing the one that came with their RTF. The instructions for it are in the RTF manual I presume. There are no adjustments or settings to work so there really is no need for instrucitons. It works or it doesn't.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Tom Nied

Well at least they have a manual available online. That's more than what I got with the first one. I've never installed an ESC, I think at least the basics should be provided. I'm completely familiar with glow engines and their needs, but I still go through the manual that comes with them. I guess people don't read manuals these days. I must be old.

Looking forward to taking some time and going through those links you gave me. I'm happier with knowledge. Thanks