Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

nitro sailplanes

Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro sailplanes

Just a curiousity I have......Has anyone put a os .15 on a 2 meter sailplane to get it up to alt. I have a GP spirit and was wondering how that might pull it and effect it's thermaling ablities.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: nitro sailplanes

A .15 might be a little too much for a spirit, try getting a ap .09 or a old cox tee dee .09, I had and still have one on a power pod, it will spec out a spirit in about 2 minutes. I mean it's a tiny dot when the engine finally quits on an 1 ounce tank, it's so small, you can't hear the 16,000 rpm motor at that height.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 AM

A .15 would be massive overkill for a 2 meter sailplane unless you want a hotliner. (something I wouldn't suggest on the stock Spirit wing) An .049 or a .09 is a better choice depending on how you want to fly it. You'll also need to add in a couple of degrees of downward thrust as well as a couple degrees of right angle. This will help on the handling while under power. Without the down thrust they will want to loop unless you hold in down elevator control on your radio. This is something that you need to do on any power system you add be it electric or nitro.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

An old Cox Black Widow or one of the more recent Sure Start options will let the model "glide uphill". Literally thousands of modellers have done this sort of combo in the past with great success. An .09 or Max .10 will provide a strong climb up with the option of a few aerobatics on the way. Watch the speed buildup though. These power options on the backside of a loop or from a short dive can easily allow the model to speed up to a damaging speed. As for the .15 I agree with the others. Total overkill. But if it's all you have and you want to go for it go ahead. Just don't use full throttle unless the nose is pointed up about 30 degrees or more. And throttle back before pushing to level flight at the top of the climb. Full throttle in level flight would likely strain the wings into flutter or just twist them until they fail.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. They are greatly appreciated! As far as downthrust is concerned, where are you assuming the engine is mounted; on the wing in a power pod or on the nose (i think you're talking about the nose, which is where I plan on mounting; unless there is a really go reason it should be mounted on a power pod)

thanks,
chris
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
My Feedback: (8)

A power pod can be removed, and fitted to other sailplanes, it was common to slap my .09 tee dee power pod on others gliders as I went to go fly a nitro plane when not using my sailplane.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
My Feedback: (3)

power pods slip under the wing rubber bands and allow easy conversio back and forth from power to stock. Cox TDs weigh the least and if you clock the prop so its verticle when off creates the least amount of drag.