Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

FluidX..96" Wingeron

Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FluidX..96" Wingeron

Here is one of my babie I'm working on.
96" WS
23 to 1 AR (Thats asking for terminal headaches!!!)
Wingeron with a full flying stab, hence the X
Pitcheron will follow shortly, FluidV
All carbon fuse and fin
Carbon/spyderfoam wings
Carbon hollow molded stab

All other info will be supplied as people ask for them (Forum..get it?) or as they are ironed out.
ANY and ALL questions, suggestions, rants, raves or help will be greatly appreciated, even if you feel that I'm an idiot for trying this and you need to voice your concerns, this too will be appreciated.

Thanks. Dave. Who knows just enough to get into trouble but not enough to know the difference!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34523.gif
Views:	33
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1189268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26981.gif
Views:	39
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1189269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72766.gif
Views:	28
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1189270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18108.gif
Views:	32
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1189271   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10011.gif
Views:	35
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1189272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60892.gif
Views:	37
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1189273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr26712.gif
Views:	27
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1189274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk34130.gif
Views:	46
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1189275  

Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FluidX..96" Wingeron

Now that's an interesting looking design Mtntop. Looks like it's doing Mach 3 and it's not moving. The only thing I see that bothers me is that lowered nose. I would think that it would increase drag and if you come in even a little nose down on a landing you may be flipping it end over end if it catches in the grass at higher speeds.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 AM

Thanks for the comments scaflock and for being the first to do such!

Yep the swooped nose will definitely hinder it's top speed but my intention wasn't to build the fastest but rather something that will stand apart from everything else out there for the most part. I'm pretty sure that once you see one you won't mistaken it for something else.
Wingerons are fast and slippery slope ships and need to be flown with a firm hand right down to the ground. I usually flair up at the last second for catches about 50% of the time but it does take practice.

This ship is slightly biased to aesthetics over function, though thats not to say she'll be a nag in the air. I'm using all the available tools out there to get the performance as high as possible with out drastically changing the shape and proportions. Right now my main goal is to get a decent combination of foils for the wing to tone down the bad tipstall habits that she'll have with such a high AR. This is one area I am definitely lacking in and any who could help me along this part of the design would be most enthusiastically haled for their help.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 AM
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mtntop,

Beautiful design! My only concern would be for the very thin fuselage section just forward of the fin. Wingerons create some extreme torsional forces, and I'd be worried about snapping off the tail. Of course, a lot of that would depend on what the fuse is made of.

papermache
Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 AM

Papermache. My company has a yard in Gary and I've spent alot of time out at MT Baldy out by Michigan city flying, love that dune!
Anyways yes you are right and that is definitely a concert. The fuse will be a combination of harness weave carbon on bias and unicarbon. The tail section goes from an ovoid cross section to a kind of T section which I'm hoping will keep it stiff laterally and vertically. Inside the tail section I'm going to try something I saw someonelse do but for a different purpose. I'll take a luffa sponge and slice it to the aproximate size and length then wet it out with epoxy and just before I join the mold halves I'll sqeeze out the exess epoxy and place it inside the tailboom. I'm hoping that this won't pick up too much weight and give a nice cross matrix to the boom. It wont be perfect cause the sponge cavities are random but I think it'll do the trick.

Oh Yeah! I forgot... The fuse has been designed around the Vmax/Xica/Xingu Blingeron block. So if you had an extra set or any of the smaller blocks it would fit for a bullet proof, no slop wing twisting fun machine.
Thanks for showing up and putting your two cents in, every little bit helps!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 PM

No advice or questions here, just wanted to say awesome design. Hope it pans out as planned for ya. Oh, guess I lied there, have one question, whats your target weight? Again, nice design, I like it very much.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Target weight is 45 to 95 oz all up weight, the upper being ballasted. This gives me a wingloading of 16 to 34 oz per square foot. Theres still alot that needs to be figured out with the wing construction and airfoils.