Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gentle Lady Blues

Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gentle Lady Blues

The trouble with the GL has been partially due to its success. From its inception (1979-80?) it's been a great flier, but not really a great kit. I'm not sure about the laser-cut kits, but the die-cut ones were always an adventure in parts fitting. I think there may be some fear of doing something to alter the flying qualities if you re-engineered the kit, so you just leave it as is. I'm pretty sure, though, that the real reason nobody has re-engineered the kit is that Great Planes/Hobbico (who now own Goldberg) wants to get out of the kit business and sell nothing but ARFS. Sad, but true.

papermache
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, I understand that. What are you going to sell? A $50 kit that might sell or an ARF that costs $50 that has most of the work done for the modeler? Although a good modeler who builds a kit can end with a better model. But the Tower Vista at 50 bucks looks hard to beat.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM

I've yet to buy an ARF. If I don't build it... I don't fly it! There are still some of us die hard old school modelers out there and I see more and more ARF guys switching over to building every day. Cutting and sanding balsa is not a dying art. It's just been taking a long nap is all.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I use to be that way, maybe even worse. But I've learned having an open mind when it comes to models, procedures, and products increases the learning curve.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mostly build my own planes as well. But one of my favorite planes is an arf. I agree most builders end up with superior planes. The GL is an ok build and I have done the old and new ones. Worth building either IMHO.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought a Lady already built from a swap meet and recovered it. A wonderful calm air day model to fly. A few years later I bought an Electra as a way to get into electric at the time. I started to set up for the build, found all the fitting horrors previously mentioned and reboxed it to sell at yet another swap meet.

To say I was dissapointed in CG would be an understatement. My previous CG models had been a Stuntman 23, a Lil' Satan and a Jr Falcon. All of those were die cut to the standards you'd expect from the finest of laser cut kits. But the Electra made me groan in dispair anew with ever part I inspected. Complete trash as far as a kit goes.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

My main concern is the aft fuselage, it looks pretty weak. I am powering this plane with a .061 mounted on the nose, I glued a piece of real aircraft plywood [5/32"] to screw the mount to. I built the wing as 1 piece unit and glassed the center 4 inches with 2 oz cloth and Zpoxy thinned. I plan on covering it with transparent Monokote. This plane will be kept around to use as a trainer.
I would definitly add a 1/32 ply doubler to the wing saddle area at least 3 or four inches behind the back wing mount as I had a similar glider snap in two an inch back behind the wing. It was my fault, bad landing, but that area seemed awfully week to me.

I was going to suggest some thin ply on the wing where the rubber bands go across but your glassing the center section should take of that.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

tkilwein, nice looking GL. Is that the battery on top of the wing? If so my guess is you mounted it there because inside the fuselage thats where the servos are. Is this a common practice? I have a similar problem with a Spectra.
The inside has the servos, RX, BEC and CCHV85 speed controller, no room for batteries inside.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 AM

It seems to me that the die cut kits today are nowhere near as well done as they used to be. Kind of like houses. They slap them together and think that they're doing quality work. It seems that the lack of pride in ones work has infected many different fields. It all boils down to how can we get the highest profit margin.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: soarrich

ORIGINAL: OzMo

Hey CP,
I just built one too. I found the laser stuff to off in some cases but easier to remedy than crunch cut parts. I would do a full D tube to the tips as a minimum beef up for power. I did this on the one I just built and I also did AG series foils (not necasary for power flying). Also I sanded the LE down a 1/16 on top and bottom and glued the sheeting to the top and bottom then reshaped the LE with a razor plane and sand paper. The laminated LE is a common strengthening technique. I never had a tail strength issue with my old one. Good Luck.

Gees...a Bubble Dancer Gentle Lady, talk about lipstick on a pig...

My GL is built stock, but with a speed 400 cobalt motor, it flies fine for what it is, a slow floater. These older sailplanes, IMHO, don't have to be built light, they have lift to burn and the weight helps them move around.
I feel the same way about S PalinLOL
Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 AM

I finished the build, ready to cover now. pics and build info in the "witched woman" post.
heres the last pic just for grins.

CP, should I cover it in pink with a red nose?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31595.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1196796