Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 New Hotliner project Wing and miscellanous doubts >

New Hotliner project Wing and miscellanous doubts

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New Hotliner project Wing and miscellanous doubts

Old 05-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hotliner project Wing and miscellanous doubts

Hello.

Recently, a friend had the Hotliner Itch. All started after he mastered a "racing" 600W wing, designed by a friend, and modified and built by us (PS core, FG epoxy lamination). Video here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKyAsBH4kWk[/youtube]
...sorry the cameraman inability in seeing the wing properly...

With some research in the Net inspired over other HLs plus some consulting from me and lots of effort from him, a Hotliner came up. I Actually did the lamination and painting, he did the plug and mold jobs, wing preparation and small work inside. The target motor was a Turnigy running a 14 x 10 folding.[link]http://www.bungymania.com/imageshome/includes3/motorperf1.php?id=72[/link]

Configuration was: 1.65 meter depron core vacbagged wing, carbon spars and carbon tape, fg and cf fuse. Live kevlar hinges, T-tail using crank system via pull-pull links. Turnigy SK4250-650, Aeronaut CAM FP 14 x 10, 100A ESC, Lipo Hextronic 5S, 3300Mah 20-30C.

Ship had something around 1050-1100 watts of power, AUW around 1700g, and did a very nice maiden:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTcbNKq-fkM[/youtube]

Here's what happens next. Just before landing during the maiden, just before the camera ran out of memory, weird noises started to come from the motor. Told him to land and later we found that the Turnigy motor had two magnets completely loose inside the bell!!! Hate China sometimes!

He then ordered a very "ADULT" motor: a NEU 1509 1Y, 6.7:1. Huge and strong motor.

On to the second flight. Windy day. I mean, WINDY....on the same flat field.

He accelerated on a vertical...cut motor, rounded for a dive, wind on tail. Started the dive...then he complained that the elevator was not responding. Model could not return to level flight. Suddenly, one of the wings folds and the rest is history.

Actually he could only save the RX system and servos. Even the NEU was totaled on the ground (what a loss, trying to contact NEU guys for fixing it) by the lipo pack + esc. Plane was blown to, at least, only large pieces (kevlar hinges intact... )

That takes us to a lot of conclusions. First, I know I should've got a little more involved on the project. That proved to be bad on the end. The wing project had some issues and I kind of knew it should be stiffer that it was, but still without the whole notion of what he was trying to achive.

Thank God no one got hurt since we choose another place in the field for the tests.

Now he intends to build another copy and this time I have to get deeper on the thing. Initially I have a couple of doubts:

1 - We decided to go for a full carbon wing this time. It is a HD53-7.5% airfoil (kinda thin, derived from the Ariane V7 F5B model) and I think of using a .125" x .325" rectangular carbon rod from acp-composites as the main spar. What would be your suggestions regarding this wing? We'll use the Kevlar live hinges again. Suggestions can be anything you might find helpful for a real stiff wing for a plane that could fly in excess of 250km/h (156MPH) or possibily even more on dives. The core for this wing is also an issue. This time we will probably not use Depron, I doubt on some resin adhesion issues regarding it. Any experiences on that? THinkin of regular EPS (called P3 overhere since it it more dense).

2 - The T-tail is also a concern. Stabilizer/elevator surface will have slightly bigger dimensions following a known hotliner dimensions. I have some doubts about the linkage system. No pull-pull this time. Probably a servo on the fin to the elevator horn. Ideas for this?

Sorry to post such a long text in truncated English, but I think someone is passionate enough about the subject to actually reply..

I will also post this on another well known forum groups. Hope you understand.

Thanks a lot,
Jeffo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78319.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1193938  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Default RE: New Hotliner project Wing and miscellanous doubts

one question, what servo's were you using?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Default RE: New Hotliner project Wing and miscellanous doubts

For the elevator, Turnigy S3317M. I would go with Hitec here.

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8497&Product_Name=Turnig y_S3317M_Servo__26g_/_3.0kg_/_.14sec]Turnigy S3317M[/link]

For the wing, [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7562&Product_Name=Turnig y_Micro_Servo_16g/2.7kg/.12sec]Turnigy TR-1160A[/link]