Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Best Kv Choice for Easy Glider E with stock Gearbox?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Best Kv Choice for Easy Glider E with stock Gearbox?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 PM
cobrajocky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Kv Choice for Easy Glider E with stock Gearbox?

Just getting into powered (E) gliders after some years with unpowered Slope Gliders and a couple years of E powered planes. I know my way around brushless motors and gearboxes, but not that combination in "E" gliders.

I picked the MPX Easy Glider E as my first foray into a medium sized 4ch plane. I bought the Kit version and I'm one to immediately do lots of mods and of course toss the anemic Brushed motor in favor of a much more efficient Brushless power train. I have an EZ* which I did the same and tossed the same Permax 400 and put in a Turnigy C2835-2700 (Kv) Inrunner mounted right into the stock motor pod, wires thru the fuse and the ESC inside the cockpit (air ducting cooling added).

I want to reuse the stock EzG E Gearbox, which I'v calculated is 3.5:1 ratio (35T main gear and 10T pinion). A Turnigy C2835 type Inrunner Brushless will bolt right up to it and I've already found a 3.2mm 10T Pinion of the right pitch for the Turnigy's.

My question is: What "effective" Kv (after Gearbox output) is best suited for a EzG E running the stock prop?

Also, in general for powered gliders (not "hotliners") of any type including balsa/plywood buildup, what is the consensus for preferred motor Kv to use? Lower Kv (under 1000) or higher Kv (1200 and above)?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
alitalia1

Default RE: Best Kv Choice for Easy Glider E with stock Gearbox?

Hi
can you please advise where you sourced your 10t pinion..having trouble getting one in the U.K
Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
cobrajocky

I got mine, a press fit and glue (Locktite gear glue - "Green") at a LHS, and it was a close out from a EF Helicopter line, $1.85USD. The last one.

You should probably Google "10T pinion 3.17 shaft" and you'll get a good hundred returns, perhaps even some in Euro.

Here are some US deadlers
http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=321 Nice because it has a set screw, not glue needed

http://www.readyheli.com/RevCo_Hard_...p/ho-0500h.htm set screw and best looking, price is higher

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Toys-Gam...g,Model-pinion (UK)

http://store.rcsupersales.net/servle...d-Steel/Detail

Let us know how your's works out.

Good luck

Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 AM
alitalia1

willdo Thanks and best regards
Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: websterphreaky

Just getting into powered (E) gliders after some years with unpowered Slope Gliders and a couple years of E powered planes. I know my way around brushless motors and gearboxes, but not that combination in ''E'' gliders.

I picked the MPX Easy Glider E as my first foray into a medium sized 4ch plane. I bought the Kit version and I'm one to immediately do lots of mods and of course toss the anemic Brushed motor in favor of a much more efficient Brushless power train. I have an EZ* which I did the same and tossed the same Permax 400 and put in a Turnigy C2835-2700 (Kv) Inrunner mounted right into the stock motor pod, wires thru the fuse and the ESC inside the cockpit (air ducting cooling added).

I want to reuse the stock EzG E Gearbox, which I'v calculated is 3.5:1 ratio (35T main gear and 10T pinion). A Turnigy C2835 type Inrunner Brushless will bolt right up to it and I've already found a 3.2mm 10T Pinion of the right pitch for the Turnigy's.

My question is: What ''effective'' Kv (after Gearbox output) is best suited for a EzG E running the stock prop?

Also, in general for powered gliders (not ''hotliners'') of any type including balsa/plywood buildup, what is the consensus for preferred motor Kv to use? Lower Kv (under 1000) or higher Kv (1200 and above)?

I typically use outrunners in my gliders. I think I am using 1200 to 1400 kV outrunners in my 1.5 to 2M glidres spinning 8-12" props.

I will be putting up a 3M next season and will probably use something in the 600-800 kV range to run a bigger prop. It is the prop size and amp draw that drives my selection of the kV range of the motor. I target between 70 and 100 W/pound for my power to weight ratio. I am looking for climb, not speed. I don't need a rocket. I look to get to about 500-700 feet in about 20-40 seconds.

On a typical 2M glider I want about a 9-12" prop, roughly. On the 3M glider I will probably target an 12-16" prop. Not sure exactly yet.

Webocalc is a great tool to do some "what iffs" with or without a gearbox. Put in the numbers and play with the combinations till you get the combo you want in terms of prop size, amps, watts, thrust, etc. You can look at trade-offs between voltage and amps. Between kV and prop size.
http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw..._imperial.html

A very useful tool.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: aeajr

I typically use outrunners in my gliders. I think I am using 1200 to 1400 kV outrunners in my 1.5 to 2M glidres spinning 8-12'' props.

I will be putting up a 3M next season and will probably use something in the 600-800 kV range to run a bigger prop. It is the prop size and amp draw that drives my selection of the kV range of the motor. I target between 70 and 100 W/pound for my power to weight ratio. I am looking for climb, not speed. I don't need a rocket. I look to get to about 500-700 feet in about 20-40 seconds.

On a typical 2M glider I want about a 9-12'' prop, roughly. On the 3M glider I will probably target an 12-16'' prop. Not sure exactly yet.

Webocalc is a great tool to do some ''what iffs'' with or without a gearbox. Put in the numbers and play with the combinations till you get the combo you want in terms of prop size, amps, watts, thrust, etc. You can look at trade-offs between voltage and amps. Between kV and prop size.
http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw..._imperial.html

A very useful tool.
Thanks for the very useful info and web tools for calculating the power plant. I use Drive Calculator for my non glider work-ups, but always open to new tools.

I like the idea of your "70 and 100 (Kv) W/pound for my power to weight ratio" formula; just some rough paper calc scribblings of my heavier planes seems to bear this out. I found out thanks to a reply email (finally) from Multiplex DE that the Easy Glider E's gearbox is a 3:1 (30T main and 10T pinion), so I've revised my Brushless Inrunner choice to the Turnigy 2835 - 2700Kv (same as I used in my EZ* w/o gearbox and 5x5 prop) which, through the stock gearbox delivers as reduced output of 900Kv and about 225 - 250watts depending on prop. I'll use the calc tools to choose the appropriate prop with the 2850 mAh 2S LiPO I will use.

I hope to make the EZ G E a great Soarer, but also a nice "warm+ liner" that will do some Glider style Acro.

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hey aeajr,
"Watt" 3 meter bird are you planning on?
I hope to build an electric fuse for the Supra I want to build this winter. Bagging stuff arived, just have to finish building the wife's new front porch then I can get going on it!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 3M Mantis that is set up for electric. The wing needs some fixing but other than that, it should be fine. Picked it up for a song. Definately not new.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:37 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

aeajr,
Let us know what you end up with in the Mantis please. Several guys at our field have been using hobbyking.com motors with very good results.