Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Can you identify this glider?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Can you identify this glider?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Can you identify this glider?

I believe it was plans built..but it may have been a kit. The guy I got it from called it the U2. I have no idea of the name. It has wingtiplets, a removeable deck lid over the wing. It also has steel wing spar glued into the fuselage ,there are tubes in the wings that slip onto the spar.

I am pretty sure it is a slope glider although I have installed an electric motor. Oh yeah the wingspan is about 74.5 inchs.

I know the cg is probably at about 1/4 of the chord back..plus a little. But it would be nice to know for sure..and have any info that might amount to flight characteristics.

I appreciate any help, I know you guys have helped me get the BOT up there..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68431.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1287169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62532.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1287170  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can you identify this glider?

Don't know what it is but its a beaut!!! Let us know how it flies, with photos if possible.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:08 AM
foodstick

Its been framed up for around 10-12 years I suppose? I am the third owner and decided to cover it the last few days..

i figured it had sit long enough !
Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
foodstick

well we had a club auction today, and i was able to trace down the plans and found all the information myself..here it is...

its a LOCKHEED U2 designed by Gus Morfis ....cg was on the spar which seemed a little to far back to me, but I am no expert on glider airfoils ...so I am close on the balance .....
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
foodstick

just an update, I did the first test flight..not exactly a glorious one either !

there was a bit more wind than I would have preferred and it was across the field. I got a good hand launch and climbed out with some bumpy wind gusts..It wanted more down trim under power than glide so I will increase the down thrust. It just flew a little flaky !! I am adding a tiny bit of nose weight for the next try. The plane was unstable..and even with all the dihedral it snapped out of slow corner way to easy a couple times. I thought it would fly more like my ninja..but I was wrong. If I had been lower it woulda been game over on one snap.. It was very slow to recover. I hope with a couple changes it will be a more relaxing plane to fly...It sure wasn't today ! hahaha, I wonder why I haven't heard of alot of people flying this design?

Finally I brought it around to land over some tall dry corn..it just was unpredictable..my buddy said throttle up a couple times and I did, the last time I was slow to use power and it tip stalled on the edge of the corn and dropped on the nose. It cracked the fuselage in a few areas... , Usually I have a decent feel for the plane..almost like your hand is on the stick onboard.. But this one had me scratching my head..not fun !
It seemed to penetrate the wind ok, but I wouldn't rate the glide ratio very highly.. it is a slope design and never mean't to be a duration machine though.

We will try some changes, and give it another go !

Anyhow it needed to be flown,sold, or crashed eventually.

The pioneers do take the arrows !
Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
snuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear how these projects develop, and progress. It is a smart looking design. The nice thing is you do have the plans! You will get it worked out I'm sure.
-Snuts-
Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
foodstick

Took the glider out after making some changes.. But it was windy/nasty.

My friend tested a few changes on a 100 inch sig riser, and it was HAIRY ! We decided to give the U2 a pass and try it later. I sure hope it will be better..there was a lot of room for improvement !