Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Bungee/Hi-start rubber

Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 AM
gosk8ing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bungee/Hi-start rubber

Hi,

Does anyone know where to buy bungee/hi-start rubber in Australia? I've seen rc-sailplane.com.au, but at over $100, seems expensive. Anyway of getting it cheaper? eg. hardware store/manufacturer. I'm looking at using 2-3m gliders.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Bungee/Hi-start rubber

Being stuck here in the middle of USA, I might suggest as I did, was to search for a medical/surgical supply company and get their 5/16" or 3/8" surgical tubing. You'll have to do the metteric conversion yourself.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Lockley

Try here http://www.isokineticsinc.com/category/latextubing
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

try ebay as well, they sell the tubing in various colors, its listed often as resistance bands etc, a bit better pricing as well
Old 10-10-2009, 04:49 AM
gosk8ing

I was thinking of getting it from this site.

http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/...m#Latex_Tubing

I've been told that it is cheaper to buy one made than to make one yourself. Is this true?

Also, this might be a dumb question, but what's the main difference between hi-start and bungee.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gosk8ing
I've been told that it is cheaper to buy one made than to make one yourself. Is this true?
It has been the times I've found tubing available. Medical tubing has always been about what I've found and been pricy. However, nowadays with the internet it is very much easier to find specialty sellers. They weren't easy to find in the old days.

Also, this might be a dumb question, but what's the main difference between hi-start and bungee.
A bungee has a shorter, stronger rubber. They're most often used for restricted field flying. They take a more advanced skill set to use effectively and can cost you more poor launches. They usually have a relatively short cord, partly because they're most often at smaller sites, and partly because that thumper bungee cord can be a witch to control.

Hi-starts are what evolved to match up with thermal soaring. You gotta admit that thermaling usually isn't what you'd call a frantic activity. Matter of fact, the best days have been downright calm. And hi-starts, even when pulled to the max, usually don't cause you much drama. Keep the model moderately tight with the elevator and the sucker is hard to mess up. They evolved to give about the highest, doable launches that a relatively cheap, very simple to use system could give. So you got a fairly long, not overly strong rubber and a decent length of cord. Usually with a chute to bring it all back to you while you're sitting in your lawn chair, sipping a lemonaide, watching your OlyII speck itself out.............
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 AM
gosk8ing

I have found out that it is cheaper to buy from the states.

I'm looking at buying 2 dynaflite hi-starts; a short and a long one.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE636&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE638&P=ML

Has anyone had any experience with this brand? Good/bad?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 AM
shootnstarz

I've got the Dynaflight heavy duty hi-start. I'm sure it has at least 200 launches on it. It works very well, really sends the birds up there but it's just about on it's last leg. The tubing has broken and been spliced 4 times, the parachute string broke not long ago so it needs repair and the main twine has lots of frays in it so it will need splices soon. Of course it doesn't help that it gets stretched out over tall grass mostly.

Like I said, it works great but it does have a life span. Replacement tubing from Tower is $50, a new hi-start is $65. Not much sense in just buying the tubing. I also suggest, if you can find one there, an extension cord reel, so much easier than their Mickey Mouse reel.

Rick
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You won't believe this but for some reason I have seen the tubing at Menards home improvement stores before. It was right with the other tubings near the plumbing items, I have no idea why they carry it, but it was the right stuff.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
gosk8ing

How many launches do you normally get out of a hi-start?

I found out that the website (fitchrubber) was expensive.

(ID x WT)
1/8" x 1/16" Out of stock
3/16" x 1/16" In Stock...$5.40 per M plus GST. So $182AUD for 100ft/30m[X(]
1/4" x 1/16" In Stock....$6.55 per M. plus GST. So $216AUD for 100ft/30m[X(]

Some hobby shops here do sell it, but just the tubing.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/sailpl...ccessories.htm
http://www.rc-sailplane.com.au/subac...hing%20systems

Would the quality of the tubing change much?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:39 AM
likeswindinhair

http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html heres one you should look at.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
shootnstarz

The first link you put up has 5/16 x 100 ft for $70 AU. That may be the best deal for you. The Dynaflight uses 3/16 tubing and would cost a lot more to have it shipped to Australia. The larger tubing may also have a longer life. Just get it, 350 ft of lite, strong twine, a small parachute and a spike and then you're in business.

All the other links as well as anything I've googled is way more $$ than the Dynaflight, just for the tubing. Most is $.75 to $1.00US a foot. If you can get the aforementioned 100' of 5/16 for $70AU that's what I'd do.

Rick
Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 PM
glidagida

I was thinking of getting it from this site.

http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/...m#Latex_Tubing

Hello gosk8ing

COMMERCIAL POST

There is no difference between a bungee and a hi-start its just a different name in different countries, in Oz we call it a bungee in USA a hi-start.

There is a huge difference in the rubber you buy however.

a. Shock cord, the stuff with the woven plastic cover and the type used in 'Occi straps'. Some guys who see the good stuff and turn pale green when they see the price sometimes buy this as it is much cheaper, and they think its a great idea; until they launch with it. Trouble is it releases all its power quickly and there is no looong pull to keep you going and then it stops suddenly when the woven jacket is normailised. Depending on the size of rubber you choose you either get a fast launch to 100 feet - 30m metres and then nothing........, or you rip your wings off in the first 3 metres of launch.

b. There is the plain-jane surgical rubber which can be either natural or synthetic latex. It will give you a moderate power from start but it will begin to break down from the harsh Australian UV within 2 years, it is also soft and quite easy to nick on a dry Aussie field. This is the sort that rubber stores sell and the 'pull' drops off noticeably as the rubber ages and our harsh UV takes its toll, in less than 12 months you will notice a difference in strength. I would not use it.

c. There is the more 'engineered' latex rubber from places like Kent Rubber in the USA which has UV inhibitors works far better in our climate. It is good in terms of strength retention with age and the UV inhibitors help, but its abrasion resistance is better but it is still relatively easy to nick and cut on our hard Australian fields. It gives a far more solid pull over more of the launch than the cheaper rubber and this is what we used to sell as our 'Bungee' rubber.

Good stuff that's why we used to sell it. The problem in Australia is that the supplier can't guarantee long lengths, some of our 100 foot rolls came in 4-5 sections.

Physical Properties
Hardness, Shore A ±5 35
Tensile Strength, psi 3500
Elongation at Break, % 750
Brittle Temperature -60°F
Max. Operating Temp. 180°F

d. There is another more 'engineered' tubing which has even higher strength and abrasion resistance, but the main bonus is that it has a 2 walled construction with a harder/stronger outer shell over normal strength rubber and they are fused together. This is what we now sell.

As you might expect it is also slightly more expensive, about 10%, more than the 'cheap' stuff.

Typically a good heavy duty rubber will give about 24lbs pull at 300% elongation, the stuff we sell will give about 25lb at 250%.

What is most noticeable is this rubber gives you the 'Oomph' you need to get the plane going at the beginning of the launch when you need it most. This is the strong outer rubber is doing its work, which settles into a looong steady pull to get you over the top. Everyone we sell this rubber to comments that it is the best bungee they have used.

I have been using my 2m strength bungee now for 2 years and it has not lost any power in the launch.

GG
Sailplane.AUS
www.rc-sailplane.com.au

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM
skybill
My Feedback: (6)

Hi go,
Hi start rubber, surgi supply probably best bet for bulk. For line I got some 3-cord and FF Thread (Kevlar) from a Parachute shop and it's great for Hi Starts!! It's thin and does not stretch so you get max energy transition to the model from the rubber!!

Blue Skyz!!
skybill AMA-87838
Old 10-30-2009, 04:01 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hosemonster I like my hose monster set up very well.