Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

servos for a Nitro Hobbies Super glider

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

servos for a Nitro Hobbies Super glider

Old 10-31-2009, 10:50 PM
amtpdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos for a Nitro Hobbies Super glider

I just bought a Nitro Hobbies Super Glider. I have flown several powered planes, but in the past had no luck with gliders. There are no plans in the box, and no suggestions for servos. Can anyone suggest servos and any other things I should know or do? I have standard airtronics servos, Hs55's and some standard unused servos from a FM Cirrus (Hobby Shack) radio set. Has anyone flown one and have any thoughts?
Thanks
Don
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM
AH1G

Default RE: servos for a Nitro Hobbies Super glider

I too bought a "Super Glider" a couple of months ago and have been pondering the same questions. Given the size of the fusalage I was going to use a std. size S3001 for the rudder and S3117's for the elevator and ailerons. However, the thin wing and stab do not have quit enough room for mounting the S3117's. My solution is to shimand fair around the servo opening with balsa and make new plates to mountthe servo's on. I'll onlyneedadd about 1/16th inch.
I quite frankly don't know yet whether I wll add a tow hook or load it up and fling it off a cliff.
I did receive a "set of plans" with the glider, 1 sheet in mostly chinese labeled pictures & no written instructions. I'd be happy to copy them and send them to you.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:56 PM
AH1G

One thing you might look at on the 1 page of "instructions" is, in the upper right showing the equal distance of the tailplane to wing.
Note that the tips are set at a high angle in relation to the wing surface that has no dihedral. When I match up my tips to the wing they do not have that angle. I do not know if the tips should be flat or should be set at an angle. MY best guess is that angle should be there for stability.
The second item I am contemplating is the addition of flaps. I think they can be cut from the wing adding a leading edgespar to the flap and a secondary spar or just a filler to the trailing edge of the wing. The problem will be locating the wing ribs to cut an access hole for the servos.
Then again, I might be just blowing in the wind because this such a poorly thoughout design...

Brian
Old 11-01-2009, 07:03 PM
amtpdb

AH1G

Thanks for the information. I would be curious as to what it would take to make a set of foam wings. I wonder if they would have to have balsa sheeting or maybe fiberglass applied, would they need spars, and how to attach them! I say this as to my past experience with gliders, I don't know how long these will last !!

Thanks

Don
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
AH1G

IMHO the construction looks sound and foam wings, sheeted, would weigh more. I cut wings back in the 70's for a Bob Dodson design sloaper. (back in the day when foam was a novelty.
You needed two coordinated people; a tip and root jig graduated so each person would be at "X" point at the same time. Heat will also warp the foam.