Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Something to consider in the UK

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Something to consider in the UK

Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
14MZ flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something to consider in the UK

Hello to all.

I have been flying R/C for many years and recently returned to slope soaring. I purchase my gliders from all over europe and the US. I recently purchased a glider called a Whisper from a well known stockist in the UK called South Coast Sailplanes. In all I have purchased six models from him.

I was flying the Whisper at a local slope a couple of days ago, it was in a 25mph wind and the model was flying with ballast. After about 15 minutes flying the model started flying eratically after some trim adjustment to the elevator the model was again under control. I landed the model shortly after, the landing was uneventful with the model settling down back into wind, and landing level on the grass slope, some yards in front of me. It was a good level landing, not hard and without the crow brakes being used.

Upon reaching the model I was astonished at the condition the model was in as there was a large break in the fuselage, along the join then down around the fuselage to the join at the bottom. The Left wing seat had broken and had moved inside the fuselage.

I contacted the seller to see what could be done about this incident, the reply from him was less than encouraging. His email consisted of these statements.

Thank you for your email and photos, unfortunately I am unable to help with this matter, as I was not at the scene. I am sorry for your misfortune but am unable to offer any other explanation or help in this situation.

So it appears unless you live in Dorset or the Dorset area and you can personally fly your glider with him every single time you go out your model will not be covered by any gaurantee against defects. This is worth bearing in mind when you want to spend your hard earned money on a glider.

Has anybody else had any problems dealing with South Coast Sailplanes, it would be good to know I am not the only one!!!!
I have attached two photos of the broken fuselage, If anybody can explain why this should happen to a new model please post your views in reply to this post.

regards
14MZ Flyer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88292.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1414854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73823.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1414855  
Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM
sir crashallot

Default RE: Something to consider in the UK

I suspect it was a fault when they layed it up in the molds. if i was you contact the suppllier of the model and not who you purchased it from. inform them of the problem and send them photos and also i theres a batch number on the kit box give them that also. they can then check see if there where any recalls and also they may just send you out a new fus. hope this helps. iv also just returned to the glider scene makes a change from noisey 2 strokes screeming all the time haha

Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 PM
kris1

Sounds about write with the attitude of some UK suppliers.

I sold an electric motor to a buddy, he used it and the wires shorted inside. He called the supplier of the motor and was told that he should not buy motors from me as I am well know for burning out electrics. Not that the supplier knew me....

I had a bought a simprop turn left from Germany. It needed large amounts of aileron trim, I took some pictures sent them to the german supplier and they replaced the wing free of charge, the wing being sent from germany. I cannot see a UK supplier doing this.

Cheers

Kris
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: kris1

Sounds about write with the attitude of some UK suppliers.

I sold an electric motor to a buddy, he used it and the wires shorted inside. He called the supplier of the motor and was told that he should not buy motors from me as I am well know for burning out electrics. Not that the supplier knew me....

I had a bought a simprop turn left from Germany. It needed large amounts of aileron trim, I took some pictures sent them to the german supplier and they replaced the wing free of charge, the wing being sent from germany. I cannot see a UK supplier doing this.

Cheers

Kris

yes i agree with you, i really do wish we could get some good suppliers that are willing to help rather then just fob us off with excuse after excsuse. a friend of mine bought an extreme 3d kit some time back aswell as all new radio and engine. he went and built the kit and i was present when he maidened the plane. He required no trim at all apart from the throttle for tick over. 10 minutes into the maiden he lost all radio contact with the model and it came in from around 200ft. there was nothing left of the plane or engine. after examining the radio gear it turned out to be the switch that was faulty with really bad soldering. so off we went to the model shop and argued our case that the soldering had failed on the switch he then whent on to say well it needs to be argued with futaba. so he emailed futaba and they said take it up with the model shop that sold the items to you. in the end he sent all the radio equipment off to futaba and heard nothing else for about 1 month. he gotan email sayig the switch was bought pre built and they where not liable for the malfunction of the switch. bare in mind my friend wasnt too worried about the cost of plane and engine it was the fact it could have come down and seriousley hurt or even killed someone. in the end he got his equipment back after paying £12 postage there and then £12 postage back. i find it hard to belive that he was pushed from pillar to post when all he wanted to do was point out that there may be a problem with the switches being supplied, he wasnt out to get a refund for the equipment he had lost. From my point of view there where too many people wanting to point fingers and blame anyone rather then accept it. by the way the garuntee was invalid due to the crash so if we buy new radio and our model crashes due to faulty equipment they will just say well it could have been damaged in the crash....