RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   R2 Hobbies Bluewing 1.4m EP "V" Tail Glider (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/11566281-r2-hobbies-bluewing-1-4m-ep-%22v%22-tail-glider.html)

nauthst 07-10-2013 04:01 PM

R2 Hobbies Bluewing 1.4m EP "V" Tail Glider

I just received one of these in the mail, and found that though the components appear to be quality, it comes with no build instructions. I have never set one of these up before and need some help with the tail fletching, a "V" tail, and a blow up labeled drawing, especially since I will need to obtain replacement parts. The initial throws for that tail will be very important. Does anyone know of a build log for a similar sailplane model? I have e mailed the mfr. after checking his website, but I'd like to read other's experiences and advice.:(

TIA 07-10-2013 07:35 PM

RE: R2 Hobbies Bluewing 1.4m EP

Pics will help...

nauthst 07-12-2013 07:17 PM

I'll need to get the digital camera out tomorrow morning and take shots of the parts I received in a ziploc bag with the kit. With one of the forum member's help, I was able to download and print the instructions for the Blue Wing, though looking at the previously mentioned parts, both extensions that slide into the tail-tube, I can see that the build instructions I now have are for the Mk1 version, which is a down-rev of the version I have. The add for this kit mentions it incorporates larger tail surfaces, which I have and they would probably break off in flight if I tried to glue them to the small surfaces on the inside of the "V" slot in it. The other extension has an inverted external "V" shape with a small hole toward the tail end for an included nylon screw. There are also two sections of "V" section fiberglas, one with a grommet bonded into it the same distance from the end. I will take pics of all this tomorrow. It appears the R2 "Speedo Mklll" has a similar tail build, but I can't bring the manual for it up- for some reason I'm getting an "Access Denied" flag from the website when I insert the Speedo's rcpl number.

nauthst 07-13-2013 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first question here is whether to use the tail extension shown mounted on the sailplane, which I beieve is the Mk1 version for the smaller tail surfaces, or the configuration shown on the upper left which is heavier but will provide more support? This appears to be a common way to mount a "V" tail. Can anyone provide a link to a build log that includes a step-by-step guide to construction? The instructions I have show the control horns mounted underneath the elevators. I got a rear photo of asimular tail that shows the horns mounted on top of the elevators, which seems to be a safer place for them if practical.