RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   Easier build? Skybench Big Bird, Laser Arts Scepter, or MM Glidertech Marauder.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/3448369-easier-build-skybench-big-bird-laser-arts-scepter-mm-glidertech-marauder.html)

combatman 10-12-2005 12:25 PM

Easier build? Skybench Big Bird, Laser Arts Scepter, or MM Glidertech Marauder..

Hey guys,

I am new to the sailplane world as I have been flying nitro planes for 3 years. I have built kits from Sig (4*60), Great Planes (P-51), and Tower Hobbies (Uproar 60). These kits all had one thing in common: fantastic instructions with pictures that illustrate most steps in the construction process.

I am looking to purchase my first glider, and want one in the 100" range. I understand many people will recommend that I start with a 2 meter, but I want something larger. My choices for glider kits, which boilded down to what I found aesthetically pleasing and affordable, are the Sky Bench Big Bird, Laser Arts Scepter, and the MM Glidertech Marauder. I understand that some have complained that Skybench instructions are sparse, but I don't know if that has changed.

I am looking for a kit with detailed instructions, as that is the only way I know how to build.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Dan

RK-Aircraft 10-12-2005 12:59 PM

RE: Easier build? Skybench Big Bird, Laser Arts Scepter, or MM Glidertech Marauder..

I got a Dynaflite Bird of Time kit that is a pretty easy build. 50.00 delivered or trade for a 2 blade 18x10 CF prop.

combatman 10-12-2005 03:00 PM

RE: Easier build? Skybench Big Bird, Laser Arts Scepter, or MM Glidertech Marauder..

Thank you Garcay, but I am not interested in the Dynaflite Bird of Time.

RK-Aircraft 10-12-2005 07:33 PM

No problem. By the way, does anyone know when the swap meets start in Northern Illinois? My wife says its time to clean out, so I have a truck load of goodies to sell.:D

combatman 10-13-2005 12:46 PM

Garcay, I posted this topic to get opinions on the aforementioned gliders. If you want to discuss your Bird of Time, or your swap meet, just start another post.

Gentlemen,

I'd still appreciate any input on my question.

Thanks!

RK-Aircraft 10-13-2005 01:09 PM

Sorry to have intruded. Apologies to all. I seem to have upset some people.

gldrgidr 10-13-2005 03:43 PM

I don't know about the Marauder, but MM glidertech is noted for it's poor instructions. This may have changed for it's newer kits.

It's a good idea to start with a larger kit as long as you have some rc experience. Even a three meter Paragon.

hattend 10-13-2005 04:09 PM

If you know how to build (kits not ARFs) then you won't have much problem putting together either of your choices. I'm not familiar with the Marauder but if the choice was between the Scepter or the Big Bird, I would go with the Big Bird as the V tail is a little harder to set up...not much, but enough to sway me. Plus the BB wings look cool.

Heck, I would say try to find an Airtronics Sagitta...that is a GREAT RES sailplane... but failing that, the Big Bird should be a cinch for you.

Don

jmfitzgerald 10-13-2005 08:09 PM

I am just completing a skybench big bird... and i'm really excited to fly it! it has been a great build! the instructions are not that detailed or have too many photos, but they do tell you what needs to be done... (i think you can download the instructions off ray's web site now, take a look) with having some building under your belt, it should not be a problem at all... all the wood parts fit together real nice. just take your time and it will be great! so big bird gets my vote!

gldrgidr 10-14-2005 01:08 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Airtronics-Saggi...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a Saggitta 900 on ebay.

hattend 10-14-2005 01:14 PM

Hmmm...may just have to bid on that.

Don

huntermax3030 10-14-2005 10:48 PM

The direct answer to your question is the Laser Arts Scepter has the best instructions. It may or may not be the plane you perfer...

Rick K 10-19-2005 02:59 PM

A little rude perhaps? Chill it down some Ok?
Rick K

martin o 10-20-2005 11:17 AM

Dan,
You may have already made your selection, but I thought I would add another good word for the Scepter. It's a very easy, straight-forward build. The instructions are not intended for a beginner and are not very detailed, but with the experience you've had you shouldn't have any problems. The folks at Laser Arts are very good about answering questions by email if you run into trouble.
By the way, the Scepter does not have a V-tail as someone mentioned above.
But all three choices are good planes.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

hattend 10-20-2005 02:28 PM

Martin o is right, I was thinking of the Sovereign and Majestic (both of which I have), not the Scepter.

Don

zx32tt 11-08-2005 01:21 PM

The Scepter is an extremely well designed kit. It has the best laser cutting of anything I've seen. I flew mine for about 3 seasons and was very happy with it. Its a real floater, and works best in light lift conditions.
Z

hattend 11-08-2005 07:05 PM

Combatman,

It's been a month...which one did you choose?

Don

aeajr 11-09-2005 01:02 PM

If you have not chosen a plane yet, here is a build thread on the Marauder which starts at this page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&page=3&pp=15

I know the fellow who built it and have seen it fly. He seems very happy with it.

I have heard many good things about the Big Bird as a build and as an excellent flyer.

I have not personally built either of these planes.

Don't know anything about the other one.

Hope this helps.

allr 01-15-2006 08:45 PM

Hi, I am looking for a set of plans or some one who will make a copy, for the Airtronics Saggitta 900. Please respond here or via email: [email protected]

hattend 01-15-2006 08:52 PM

You can get a set of Sagitta 900 (and 600) plans from RCM magazine. The magazine went T.U. but the plans and books division are still shipping.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:PL-831

Don

allr 01-15-2006 09:58 PM

hattend ,

Thanks, Was just looking at that site. Was going thru the list.

OzMo 02-06-2008 02:23 PM

hey is anyone in here ?? I can't tell 'cause its kinda dusty:D
I was searchin' through all this old stuff and I decided on Rays Big Bird. He has plenty of build along info on his web site.[8D]

big al 02-21-2008 06:53 PM

Ozmo I too decided on the Big Bird. I went with the Xl and am just starting it . plan on electric out runner. I will try to keep you posted on progress.