RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   2m RES plane recomendations (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/39894-2m-res-plane-recomendations.html)

rhino 01-23-2002 03:14 AM

2m RES plane recomendations

I as looking at purchasing a 2m Spirit. I like many of the qualities it has, and I plan on just building it RES so that if the inclination ever strikes I'll try to fly it competitively.

The question is (and it is very subjective I know) What are the planes that people like in the 2m RES class. I'm not a great builder, but I do want to build it and I would like it to be under $100, so that cancels out the molded guys. Thoughts? Reasons? Pictures? :)

Brian Smith 01-23-2002 03:25 AM

2M

I would consider the Kestral 2-M from www.northeastsailplane.com

Or maybe the Crysalis from DJaerotec......Brian

greg-RCU 01-24-2002 05:41 PM

Hard to beat the Goldberg Gentle Lady. I have an Electra, the electric version, which I converted BACK to a GL. Many people will recommend this bird and I'm one of them.

A freind of mine has the Spirit 2M and loves it every bit as much as I like my Electra/GL . It will float and thermal almost as well as the GL but is faster and can fly inverted.

Neither plane has spoilers and neither plane needs 'em.

Chopper01 01-24-2002 07:14 PM

Spirit 2M

The Spirit 2M does actually have an option for spoilers if you want.

I hope this doesn't start another huge debate...

shoe-RCU 01-25-2002 10:51 PM

have to see that

Originally posted by greg
It will float and thermal almost as well as the GL but is faster and can fly inverted.
Surely you jest...perhaps you mean it will come down less quickly upside down than a GL will? :D

You're right on about the speed though. A GL becomes useless expodentially as the windspeed increases whereas the Spirit will penetrate much easier.

A Kestral will have even better penetration due to a thinner section (S3021 I believe) but for the price it's hard to beat the Spirit as a poly 2m.

hattend 01-26-2002 03:10 AM

Re: 2m RES plane recomendations

Originally posted by rhino
I as looking at purchasing a 2m Spirit. I like many of the qualities it has, and I plan on just building it RES so that if the inclination ever strikes I'll try to fly it competitively.

The question is (and it is very subjective I know) What are the planes that people like in the 2m RES class. I'm not a great builder, but I do want to build it and I would like it to be under $100, so that cancels out the molded guys. Thoughts? Reasons? Pictures? :)

Can't go wrong with a 2M Lil Bird from Skybench.
http://www.skybench.com/slbird.html

Sink rate comparable to a Gentle Lady and a better airfoil for moving out when you have to.

Also, if you can find one on ebay or RCU, try for an Airtronics Sagitta 600

R. Carver 01-26-2002 03:28 AM

Second on the Lil' Bird-Nice looking, easy build...Also check out the Sovriegn by Laser Arts, also laser cut, looks and flies great-

http://members.aol.com/laserartco/page10.html

hattend 01-26-2002 03:36 AM

And I'll second your recommendation :D

I don't have the Sovereign but I have the Majestic....great quality kits! I haven't flown it yet but the kit contents are so nice looking and clean that it should almost build itself.

greg-RCU 01-26-2002 05:34 AM

Surely you jest...perhaps you mean it will come down less quickly upside down than a GL will?
Ahh. No I've actualy seen a Spirit 2m sustain inverted flight. Sure it's sinkin fast but not as fast as a stall or spin. It sure 'jumps' right back real quick with a twitch of left or right. Here's sumthin else people don't believe until they see it. OUTSIDE LOOPS!. You should hear that wing roar when its over your head upside down and pulling negative Gee.

Sam (my friend) has made two minor in terms of building modifications. He set the incidence to 0 rather than the couple degrees of positive called for on the plan. He installed the aluminum wing joiner intended for the two piece wing but glued it solid.

shoe-RCU 01-29-2002 12:29 AM

Originally posted by greg

OUTSIDE LOOPS!. You should hear that wing roar when its over your head upside down and pulling negative Gee.

lol, too funny...

Al Stein 01-29-2002 07:28 PM

SHOE:

You're right on about the speed though. A GL becomes useless expodentially as the windspeed increases whereas the Spirit will penetrate much easier.

A Kestral will have even better penetration due to a thinner section (S3021 I believe) but for the price it's hard to beat the Spirit as a poly 2m.
I'm thinking you may want to take another look at those airfoils... at 10% thickness, the s3021 is AT LEAST as bulky as the Gentle Lady... if your GL won't go fast, it's not because of the wing. The Spirit generally penetrates better than the Gentle Lady because the Spirit's got a cleaner fuselage and it's heavier.

I do like the Spirit -- it's certainly a better quality kit and I've flown the plane and built a couple of them -- but other than in pretty heavy air (at least 15kts sustained) a Spirit is no Shoe-in over a well built GL. (Sorry 'bout the pun... couldn't help myself ;) )

shoe-RCU 01-30-2002 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Al Stein
SHOE: I'm thinking you may want to take another look at those airfoils... at 10% thickness, the s3021 is AT LEAST as bulky as the Gentle Lady... if your GL won't go fast, it's not because of the wing. The Spirit generally penetrates better than the Gentle Lady because the Spirit's got a cleaner fuselage and it's heavier.

You're probably right in your assertion that the S3021 isn't faster because of it's relative thickness to the GL airfoil. (btw the S3021 on Dr. Selig's site is listed at 9.5% thickness) But it IS a much faster airfoil than the flat bottomed section found on a GL. Of course it's kind of a moot point since the Spirit 2m has a S3010 :D

btw nice pun :p

Al Stein 01-30-2002 12:49 PM

Of course it's kind of a moot point since the Spirit 2m has a S3010
Aargh... ya got me!

Anyhow, my real point was that they're both very good planes and a cleaned-up Gentle Lady is even pretty fast -- but it'll never do an outside loop and like you indicated, the Spirit probably will get to the next thermal faster.

Boy am I ever getting anxious for Spring to come!

shoe-RCU 01-30-2002 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Al Stein

Boy am I ever getting anxious for Spring to come!

You mean you can't fly in the winter there in PA?

***rubs it in a little***
here in CA we fly year 'round :D

hattend 01-30-2002 04:48 PM

Unless the El Nino rains and valley flooding are happening or the Santa Ana are blowing 100 mph. Then you take a break, right? :p

Don
Former NorCal resident