RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   Need Receiver Suggestions for JR XF421EX Radio (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/7763966-need-receiver-suggestions-jr-xf421ex-radio.html)

Dr.Oates 07-23-2008 03:21 PM

Need Receiver Suggestions for JR XF421EX Radio

I am really getting into Gliders, I built a QFII DLG and am having a lot of fun. I am using a JR XF421EX radio...and I want to find another receiver. I am into Gliders and I could use some advice on what receiver will work with this radio....the lighter the better.

I am also interested in a new radio, I eventually full house ship, so I would also be open to radio advice for gliders. So many choices... im looking in the 300-500 range or less.

SoarLA45 07-23-2008 05:17 PM

RE: Need Receiver Suggestions for JR XF421EX Radio

Try the Futaba 9C, great sailplane programming and functions. The Robbe-Futaba FX18 is also a great radio.

Dr.Oates 07-27-2008 01:07 AM

Thanks for the radio thoughts. Does anyone have a suggestion on an FM receiver compatible with the JR XF421EF Transmitter?

aeajr 08-01-2008 03:08 AM

I fly sailplanes most of the time, both sport and competition

I have 3 futaba 9Cs and am very happy with them. In fact I am selling one as I don't need three of them. I hightly recommend this radio for full house sailplanes.

I use mostly Hitec receivers. Many of these are compatible with Jr too.

for somehing like the QFII I would use the Hitec Micro 05S. .3 oz, auto shift and 1 mile range. About $25. I have two of them. The Berg Micstamp 4 channel would also be goo. BTW, I have a QFII in build process. I currently fly a Polecat XP5 DLG for contests and sport. That has a Berg 7 channel in it.

If you need more channels, I have used the Hitec Electron 6 , .6 oz, or the Supreme 8, 1.4 oz, with great success. Both are no longer made. Today you sould buy the Hitec Neutron 6 or teh Supreme II. I believe bot are autoshift so they wil work with your JR radio.

da Rock 08-01-2008 07:43 AM

The lighter the better?

You came to the right place..... Uhhhh, you went to the right place........ hhmmmmmmmmmm, you got the right radio equipment for a light RX.

My LHS has one of those little kiosks back in their radio area that sits on one of the display cases. It's JR's display, and has some of their most popular servos and such. It's got the R610UL receiver on it. The sucker is their best 6 channel made to be ultra light weight. It doesn't even have a case. It's just the circuit board in clear heat shrink.

I've used the R610UL in every glider and park flyer I've done so far and it's excellent. Back when I crunched my Siren on a slope, I had that R610UL spare and stuck it into a Tiger60 I'd just gotten. Turns out I fly that Tiger60 3-4 outings a week. So that little ultra lite RX has been working for a living, for sure.

I usually pick up the Hitec Mini 6S or the Electron 6-C for my power planes. They're economically priced RXs but work great. Since getting back into the hobby 3-4 years ago, I've either gotten a JR 610UL or a Hitec for every model I've built.

The Hitec's save me a few bucks, but near as I can tell, lose nothing compared to any other brand. Since coming back into the hobby, I've not had any radio problem at all.

The Hitecs have cost me about $40 and the R610ULs are around $50.

The Hitecs they're selling nowadays include a couple of 5 channels that're economically priced. Think they're about $25. A good friend uses them for all his models. He builds from scratch and has a new one every couple of weeks. They're all gliders. All have been 2m or smaller, so he wants light weight. He uses those $25 Hitecs and they work great for him. He also uses a JR.

roboto65 08-01-2008 07:13 PM

I second and third the 9C Will do just about anything you need full house and all !!!

Dr.Oates 08-03-2008 10:00 PM

Hi Guys...funny you should mention the Futaba 9C. Are you refering to the 9C or the 9C Super?? The reason I ask is that one of my local club members upgraded to the 10C and offered me his 9C for $100. I don't believe it is the SUPER... but correct me if I am wrong... this is still a very good idea? I kinda like the idea of having Thermal and Launch settings, but will I really be all the limited with this radio??

shane.barton 08-03-2008 11:22 PM

My 9C Super says "9C Super" just above the screen. Correct me if i'm wrong (which I probably am), but the only REAL difference between the 9C and the 9C super is the CAMPac module and a few programming upgrades?? For $100 i'd jump on that either way. But that's just me.

Dr.Oates 08-03-2008 11:33 PM

Ya, thats what I though as well... for a $100 you can go wrong. Out of curiosity... whats the dif on the CAMPac modules?
OK... if I roll with the 9C ...someone give me a run down on the receiver requirments..and options. This is a Neg shift receiver? Not compatible with JR receivers? Compatible with Dual Shift receiver I assume? Will the Synth Module transmit a signal that my Channel 36 R610M receiver will hear? I am guessing NOT...but figured I would ask you all what I am getting into to switch over to this radio.

SoarLA45 08-04-2008 05:16 PM

GET THE 9C BEFORE THAT GUY SELLS IT! HERE A FRIEND OF MIEN WANTS TO SELL IT TO ME FOR 350! YOU ARE LUCKY YOU GOT AN OFFER FOR 100!!!!!!

Dr.Oates 08-04-2008 05:23 PM

WoW!! I think you may have to rough your friend up a little :) What does shipping cost to Peru? Is it hard to get gear there? As for the 9C...I figured this was a good deal, plus he threw in a memory module, and a case for $20... so I figured I would give it a try. His only request was that I not fly on the channel the radio comes with....38... as this would mean he would have to be switching card with me at the airfield. As he is THE go to guy at the club if you need help ...I figure it is the least I can do. I still need a module to change the channel on this beast, so I am looking around for one of those... not cheap... but ill keep looking.
By the by... do you happen to know the part number for these modules... i seem to be finding mixed info.

SoarLA45 08-04-2008 08:17 PM

Isnt it a synthesized module by the way? Yes, shipping to Peru is expensive. The LHS charges 40% and wehn you want to get equipment from europe it is even worse. I just bought a Robbe-Futaba FX-18 from a friend of mine, with 2 FM single conversion receivers and a PCM dual conversion receiver on 35 Mhz for 300 dollars.

Dr.Oates 08-04-2008 08:45 PM

Hey Alex, man i dont know if i would be able to afford this hobby at those prices... good grief. As for the module... they may a synth module that lets you change channels, they also have individual modules for the different frequencies. Unlike other radios you cant just buy a crytal andplug it in. I am debating if its really worth buying the synth module...they aint cheap either. Funny things...once you get a receive set up...even a $100 receiver is quickly +200...though I should not complain.

SoarLA45 08-04-2008 08:57 PM

Get the synth module, it is totally worth it. As for the radio I bought, it costs 450 euros NEW so 300 bucks is a good price. BTW, the PCM receiver alone is worth 200 dollars and the single receivers are worth 120 dollars for both, so I am paying 300 dollars for something that would be worth about 800 new with the three RXs! As for the synth module you'll need it. Trust me, it is totally horrible to be stuck at a slope all day long watching the 34 mph wind while someone flies on your frequency. Just makes you want to shove that person's raio up their *&(**&@#$$!% (Moderators please do not kill me)

Dr.Oates 08-04-2008 09:02 PM

OK...as much as I hate to do it.... synth it is. One question though...does using a synth module effect what type of receivers you can use... or will any receiver with the right shift work?

shane.barton 08-04-2008 10:59 PM

The only/good thing the synth module does for the radio is the ability to change channels. Futaba radios (Negative Shift) do not change shift like some of the Hitecs and other brands (Multiplex??). Heck, if I could find me a good cheaply priced synth module i'd jump on it like it was going out of style. Well, it kinda is going out of style since 2.4Ghz has come around, that just makes the 72mhz receivers that much more cheaper. And if I had a synth module I could buy a receiver on whatever channel they had and not worry about matching my Tx channel.

Dr.Oates 08-05-2008 12:08 AM

This is exactly what I was thinking. Never have to pay extra for the right crystal in the receiver, and you can pick up deals online for used receivers with the crystal included. Yet, as you have said, if we could only find one for a good price. The futaba is still +$80 or so...not cheap in my book. Especially for somthing that wont get used a lot in my situation. I just cant justify buying crystals for receivers everytime you buy one on ebay or something.

SoarLA45 08-05-2008 05:05 PM

Synth receivers are expensive. But if you dont buy a synth receiver, why buy the entire module? Synth is supposed to be a way to skip over interference and shoot-downs. If you cant change the frequency on your receiver along with you radio, I wouldnt buy synth.

Dr.Oates 08-05-2008 07:34 PM

YOu make a good point, I guess im just coming at it a different angle due to my personal circumstance. the way I see it, if you want to change channels on your 9C TX your looking at $30-40 for the TX module....PLUS... the cost of the particular crystal for THAT particular receiver. Lets just say you can get them both for $33. 3 Models down the road you have paid for your synth module. ALSO... the prices for used receiver on ebay and such just got cheaper as many used receivers already have a crystal in it. So in my book...as much as even I dont want to acknowledge having to fork over $99 for the stupid tx synth module.... it make good sense. I am not against the synth receiver...not at all... but as we have noted...they are not cheap. At least with a Synth mofule for your TX, you have options still you can afford the nicer Synth Receivers...and yes... I want those too :) That and lest face it crystals for a receiver are much cheaper than the channel module for the 9C.

SoarLA45 08-05-2008 08:06 PM

I am currently flying on 35.850 and I hate it! One other guy at my field flies the same frequency. He is new but he brings his Zagi to the slope and flies for 6 hours straight and does not ever stop. I cant fly at all some days. Once I tricked him into believing him his radio had low battery when I programmed it to sound the timer in 45 seconds. But he didnt fall for that one again:D

The worst, there is no way I will ever be able to fit a module into the FX18 without modifying the case. With all the wiring from the switches and sliders I have added, there is zero space for anything else.

Dr.Oates 08-06-2008 10:19 AM

Ya, you definitely need a synth Brother Man. Although, have you ever heard of the 4-10 Solution. On the slopes especially...some have had great success using the 4-10 method. Basically, when a guy is tieing up a frequency, you mearly wait till his zagi or what have you comes within about 50 feet. This is when you empoly the 4-10 method....but you will have to find a tool first. There are various makers of these tools... I know Winchester makes a good one, so does browning, I believe you can find a list with the NRA :) Anyway...when he gets close enough...you just pull our your 4-10 solution and go to town. Trust me foam has NO chance :)

Oh Ya... where did you learn to mod your TX. Love to see pics if you have em.

SoarLA45 08-06-2008 02:10 PM

Actually, I learned about modding from the FX-18 itself. It is an extremely modular radio. It comes from the factory with only 4 channels and no CAMPac. If you want more channels, you just add more switches and connect them to the mainboard. You can also connect non proportional channels, switched channels, CAMPacs and sliders. You can add up to 4 sliders, 6 switches and 2 trim dials. I have added one slider, 4 switches and two trim dials. Right now I am modding the antenna mount because it is very weak. I am rebuilding it with carbon and epoxy.

Dr.Oates 08-06-2008 09:05 PM

Sweet Radio... I have seen the Robbe radio mentioned..untill now never looked at it. I have done a little searching and I am really surprised there are not more radio hacks floating around....but then again who wants to run the risk ?

SoarLA45 08-07-2008 06:24 AM

Every Robbe-Futaba radio is designed to be expandible, from the analog F-14, through the FX-18, the FX-30 and up to the 14 channel super-radio FX-40. Drawbacks are: Pricing! Also, shipping is very expensive from Europe to Peru. Good I bough the radio used! Actually, one of my friends is modifying a 6XA with an idea of his: 900 Mhz IPCM.

Dr.Oates 08-09-2008 05:56 PM

Ok... so I said I was offered a 9C (not super) for $100. Actually it was $120 with a case. One of the flight trainers at the local club upgraded and didn't need the 9C. Well, I went to pick the radio up today, figuring that it was a pretty good deal in comparison to my JR xf421ex. He opened the case, showed me the transmitter, charger, Campac and RF module then nicely put it back in the case. I handed him the cash and thanked him for the radio. Not really having a chance to hold it I walked to my car to take a closer look... and there it was.... SUPER.... T9CAP SUPER... can you believe that.

Being the guy I am, I took it home to make sure I had the details right... and then felt completely uncomfortable with the situation. So I call him up and explain that this is the "Super" and I don't feel comfortable with this deal anymore.... I really need to pay him more.... but he refuses. I know you can hardly believe it.... imagine how I feel.... I cannot believe the generosity... I am stunned.