RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/)
-   -   DynaFlite Kit: Bird of Time (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/8155869-dynaflite-kit-bird-time.html)

squeakalong 11-17-2008 12:23 PM

DynaFlite Kit: Bird of Time

Thinking of building my DynaFlite Bird of Time glider for next Spring's flying season. Any suggestions, thoughts, or "should do's" for this kit? How about your flying experience's with this neat 'ole glider? Anyone have pics they want to share? Thanks!!

Soft landings.

foodstick 11-17-2008 12:51 PM

RE: DynaFlite Kit: Bird of Time

I have a 20 year old one that a friend built years ago. Its not a windy day flier, but I still love flying it. I would consider adding spoilers, I will probably do that to mine some time as it needs a recover job..and that would be the time to do it. Also I don't have room for a highstart or winch where I fly. I converted mine to electric with a folding prop.. 45 minute flights are easy with very little to no lift..

Somewhere on the glider thread I posted my setup for electronis, it was all ordered from hobbycity, at a reasonable price...

squeakalong 11-17-2008 01:09 PM

Hi, foodstick! I had not considered an electric conversion but that does sound interesting. We have a R/C glider flying club in our area and they have a nice open field from which we can use a High Start. They don't allow any engine powered models but I have approached them about electric conversions on a couple of Old Timer FF models that I will fly via R/C assist: The Brooklyn Dodger and others of that type.

I've always liked the Bird of Time design and just never got around to building one. Of course....right after I finally ordered the kit I came across the plans for this model in the RCM plan listing....:eek:.

Soft landings.

foodstick 11-17-2008 03:03 PM

personally I would want the kit I think, there are some SUPER fine wing ribs in this design, I don't know if the kit is lazer cut.. But I think it would be worth the money on those outboard wing panels.

papermache 11-18-2008 06:34 AM

squeak,

I built mine stock from the kit. It's a great flyer and one of my favorites. If I were to do it over, though, I'd put spoilers in it.

The kit is not difficult to build, but you should take care to understand exactly what you are doing before you add glue to the mix. I remember doing a lot of dry-fitting and head scratching around the wing joiner box. Just follow the instructions and you'll be all right. A lot of people have complained about the wood quality and parts fit of the kit in these forums, but mine was pretty good all around with the die-cutting being better than average. Hope yours is the same.

Drop me a PM if you have a problem during the build. Maybe I can help. Just have fun doing it. That's the most important part. Good luck.

papermache

squeakalong 11-18-2008 09:29 AM

Hi, guys! I think the use of spoilers will be on the "To Do" list as I have heard this mentioned a number of times. As a long time model builder (50 years) and a former draftsman/mech. designer I don't anticipate any real problems reading the plans and such. Patience, patience and a whole lot more of that thing called patience is really the key. I like the looks of the Bird of Time and look forward to seeing the model in the "Up North" blue sky!

Thanks for the ideas and offers of assistance. I'll certainly ask for help if I encounter any little "buggers" in the build :D!

Soft landings.

camdyson 11-20-2008 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built one (another, 1st one 25 years ago!) some time back but only recently began flying it. Wood (die crushed, not laser) was pretty cheesy in my kit, but you may get lucky! I added spoilers, otherwise pretty stock build, with fuz as thin as servos allowed.

Apart from the wood quality, only real issue is some tailplane rocking. I'd add pc board reinforcement plates either side of the fin where the belcrank bearing is supported, if doing it over.

Wings are fine for bungee launches, but I'd add carbon spar caps if using a winch.

Have fun,

Cam

Oh, it flies and looks just as good as the first one - fin sweep causes some rudder-induced up evevator, but that's fine by me.

squeakalong 11-20-2008 10:24 AM

Hi, Cam. That's a real pretty Bird you have there! Aren't the old designs neat? I agree the tail/fin area needs a bit of "look see" and reinforcement. Wondered about that when looking at the design. Most likely will use a bungee launch as it would keep my Bird from returning to Earth looking like a Sabre :D.

Soft landings.

Joe

victorzamora 03-13-2009 12:25 AM

Hey guys, I've decided to build an EP Bird of time. It'll be my first glider/sailplane. My field isn't really a great candidate for a high-start (plus I want longer flight times), so I'm going to try to keep my e-setup light. There are three mods I'm planning. One is the EP deal, another is I want to add 2" to the inboard section of the wings (so that it has a 10' wingspan). The last is that I've decided to add spoilers because it seems like EVERYONE recommends doing it. I just don't really know how to add spoilers. I don't know whether to add two spoilers so that I can use them as flaps as well, or use a single spoiler centered on the fuselage. If the latter, I don't know whether to make it a single long spoiler or a short spoiler similar to that of a jet. Besides that decision, I also really want to know HOW to add spoilers.

Oh, a minor mod. I've heard that I should beef up the area that the bellcrank rests on.

camdyson 03-15-2009 02:41 AM

2 spoilers is safer - a central one runs the risk of blanking the tailplane and rudder on landing, affecting control responsiveness.

You'll see the size/position of mine in my earlier post - these are VERY effective, could possibly be a bay smaller.

Cam

victorzamora 03-15-2009 01:12 PM

Oooh, I thought that they were on the back where ailerons would be. Haha, shows how little I know about gliders/sailplanes. I guess it makes more sense for them to be where you have them. Can you take a picture (or draw or just explain) how to install those spoilers? I mean like, design and setup. It'd be a lot of help! Thanks.

Bax 03-17-2009 02:45 PM

The BOT is almost an all-weather glider. It's not just for light winds. When properly-ballasted, it can fly on days that are quite windy. In fact, the model almost seems to have a "step" where the glide dramatically flattens-out when its airspeed is up. The one I had in the 70's looked like there was a point where the glide would dramatically flatten when I added some "down" trim. The model would speed around the sky and take "forever" to come down.

Keep it light for the "drifty" weather, and make sure you can add weight for the windy days. It's an oldie but a goody.

Samson4721 03-18-2009 09:48 PM

I think I am going to buy the kit off of tower and build it. I want a cool build, giant glider, not expensive, and something maybe just a baby step from the gentle lady in complexity. I think this glider really fits the bill. Definately want to put the spoilers on to get used to something different. Could anyone do a good write up of their spoiler set up maybe with some pics or drawing?

Thanks
Zach

squeakalong 03-19-2009 08:41 AM

I'd like to see the information for adding the spoilers, too!

Soft landings.

victorzamora 03-19-2009 09:17 PM

Anyone?

avsorhead 03-23-2009 01:55 PM

I am scratch building a BOT now and have the fuse and tail feathers built and am working on the wing and will Increase the dihedral to 2.25 for better rudder response (Per Thony) and will also go with a one piece center section w/ plug in tips and no spoilers.
Thony says that a good BOT should come out at 41 to 39 ounces but the first one that I scratch built came out at 62 oz (couldn't aford the best wood at the time) and it flew just fine but I am shooting for 40oz for this one.

Tha's all I have to say about that,
AV Soarhead.

foodstick 03-23-2009 03:37 PM

I haven't built spoilers into mine yet, but the way some do it is to make a long thin spoiler that is held closed with tiny magnets, underneath to keep it clean ,and the spoiler down secure. I have seen very easy mounting of the servos by just using a tiny cheap servo on their sides. so that when they are activated the servo arm itself comes up and lifts the spoiler ! no linkage needed !

victorzamora 04-05-2009 12:09 AM

Quick question, how are the wings set-up once they're assembled? I mean, are they 2-, 3-, or 4-piece wings? I can't really understand the darn manual. It's only my second kit, and the first kit was a Sig Wonder...and was an INCREDIBLY easy build. Anywho, help is appreciated!

foodstick 04-05-2009 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My wings are a two piece setup with aluminum tubes in the wing, and a metal rod for the joiner piece.. it also has a alignment pin on the trailing edge of the wing. Mine has a small screw coming out of the bottom of each wing surface a half inch back from the mating roots of the wing. You slip a o-ring over them to hold the wings together flush.

hera are some pics of the electrical end of things.

Mtntop 04-05-2009 04:20 PM

One suggestion that I have heard of is to make the hingeline of the rudder more vertical to lessen the positive pitch in turns. Have not done this myself.

Foodstick, how do you attatch pics in a post on here? Thanks in advance.

foodstick 04-05-2009 05:45 PM

You need to use the post a reply button just below and left of the last post. If you try to use the fast reply box at the bottom of the page there is no option for a pic.
Then the area to (click to uploadimages or files)is on the bottom left of your reply box.

Mtntop 04-05-2009 06:14 PM

I thank you kind sir... Now what was it I was trying to do?.....

victorzamora 04-06-2009 12:49 PM

What size motor is that? I'm looking into a KD A22-20L from HobbyCity. It's 1000kv, and it's 28x39mm, recommended an 11x5 on 3s lipo at up to 21A (25A peak). I'm trying to figure out if that's good enough.

Quigleywins 04-22-2009 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: foodstick

I like it I intend doing the same,but I will build one as per the plan an one the same as yours. Can you please give me the distance from the leading edge. and the thrust angle.
Yours Paul T Mine is a marks model kit

Quigleywins 04-22-2009 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: foodstick

I like it I intend doing the sam. e,but I will build one as per the plan an one the same as yours. Can you please give me the distance from the leading edge to the motor and the thrust angle.
Yours Paul T Mine is a marks model kit