Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Brand New to the AIR !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Brand New to the AIR !

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 AM
i sniff nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New to the AIR !

So I started my jobat Hobby Town USA, working on the land R/C's. But now my interest has grown in the air world. So now I am looking at getting my first helicopter. I know what we have to offer at hobby town and what they have recommended me at the store…… but I am wondering what else is out there for me…. I know dual rotors are the way to go, from what I have learned. Or heard. So I am looking at the E Flite Blade MCX2… any recommendations?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 AM
macscac

Default RE: Brand New to the AIR !

that is what i have!
i bought it 3 nights ago. very nice to use in the living room and what i love is that if you lose control, just pull the throttle down and it will crash safely.
i have crashed it pretty hard and no issues..
its great for me because i need to get used to the controls before i move to something larger and more expensive.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 AM
i sniff nitro

awesome ! i will most likely be grabing one of thouse. we have one in the store as demo, so i been flying it.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 PM
nothinbetr2do

if you can demo or try out a msr, do it. they are much better. once you get to flying it, you won't get bored as quick.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

+1 on the Blade Sr family, either the msr or the SR - it will grow with your skills. You'll soon grow tired of the mcx.

Mark
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
RickVS

I have the MCX2 and it has been very helpful in my understanding the controls, and like the previous poster said, if you get in trouble, just pull down on the throttle and let it crash (you can't do that with the MSR or SR). I've only had one issue with it after a hard crash onto concrete: the motors moved and Ihad to epoxy them in place. Otherwise, no issues, and Ihave yet to use any of the replacement parts I bought. Another plus, when your inexperienced friends come over and see you flying your SR, they'll ask if they can try, and you can give them the MCX2 to play with. I've had mine about a week and am happy with it.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 AM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: RickVS

if you get in trouble, just pull down on the throttle and let it crash (you can't do that with the MSR or SR).

no you can't to that with the sr, but yes you can do that with the msr. i have done this many times with my msr(when i was learning) and all i ever broke was the landing gear.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
RickVS

Okay, stand corrected. I was going to buy an MSR but my LHS told me that a lot of them have been returned dueto electronic issues, so he steered me away. Have you heard of any of these issues?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 AM
nothinbetr2do

none what so ever, i got mine when they first came out. and it's still flies just as good today as when i got it. other than replacing the landing gear a few times, it's good to go. i don't fly it much anymore, i've moved on to bigger and better heli's. but i keep it so my kids and friends can fly it and not my good heli's.

the only thing i suggest you do to it is put a small piece of heat shrink over the end of the tail motor. it will keep the tail motor from falling apart in a crash. i can post a pic if you want
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
nothinbetr2do

here's a couple of pics of what i was talking about with the heat shrink and the tail motor. in some crashes the end cap on the motor will come off and will make the motor useless and make you buy another one. if you do this, it will never happen. don't cover the whole motor, just the end and alittle more to keep the heat shrink on there. and also, wait a few minutes between battery packs to let the motor cool down
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84271.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1503434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84661.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1503435  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
i sniff nitro

awesome ! Thanks a Bunch guys, I believe thats what i am going to go with.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
trickle007

I have had several different begginer heli's and from a Walkers Lama 400 Blade CX2 and also an Msr and the msr is by far the funnest and best learning tool i have purchased. TBH i think the CX2 is not worth the money due to the fact it is a little big for indoor home flying and pretty much useless for outdoor flying. If you have the room to fly the CX2, itis ok but the CX2 breaks real easy where as the msr can take a serious beating and keeps on flying just upgrade the landing gear and you are set.

So i guess is what I am trying to say Get an Msr over a CX2 you will thank yourself later
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
trickle007

Also you might want to consider a Blade 120SR, It is just a bigger version of the Msr and flies lil better outdoors then the msr.