Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

new to helis

Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
mike07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to helis

i am steeping off into helis i have been flying airplanes for 4 yrs 30% sizes plane but i have gotten interested in helis i would like to get in the nitro helis can anyone tell me what size and the stuff i will need to get started thanks for any help
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
dooleyje

Default RE: new to helis

For nitro helis I would start with the 600 size or .50 size. A Trex600, Hirobo SDX, TT Titans are several choices. Outrage has some good-uns, also Compass brands. The point is to get at least A .50 size and by pass the .30 sizes.and one you can get parts for. A better choice is to see what the folks are flying in your area and get what they have and what your local hobby center sells... That way you have expert help right at your home field

Jim

HobbyTown USA
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Mack66

Jim has said it all. In my case we have an Hirobo dealer who is also a master pilot at our club. So there are LOTS of Hirobo SDX's and old Sceadu's at our club (I have a Sceadu 50 EVO SWM. Why? Because we can get replacement parts fast. There are a number of T-Rex 600's as well, since all the local hobby shops carry parts for the 600's. We have one T-Rex 500 owner at our field, but he has to mail order all his parts because (for who knows why) relatively few people own 500's in Houston. If you go to Charlotte, where Jim lives, you will find all kinds of parts available for 500's because there are a number of pilots flying those.

So carefully check out your local clubs and see what everyone is flying and why and stick to the mainstream. Parts availability is very important if you want to stay in the air.

Also ditto on the size. Try to stay 50 nitro if you can. You won't regret it.

Mack
Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM
mike07

i really dont have a local shop that handle alot of heli parts around here i will have to order heli and any needed parts have one guy at our club he flys the t-rexs 600 and 700 he was telling me to get the raptor 30
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 PM
flyinbr

I agree with Jim, I had two Raptor 30s and they are very nice then I bought a Titan SE with an OS50. I like the 50 so much better should have done that in the first place.

Just sold one of the 30s last week
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Make sure to pull the plugs and put some oil in your airplane engines, it might be a while before you dust one off once you get hooked