Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Good sim....good flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Good sim....good flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 04:54 AM
bman1128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good sim....good flyer?

Hi....

Quick question: If one is fairly good at a heli sim (FMS SIM)... does that mean one would do well with a R?C heli?

How many have benefited by going with and mastering the sim first... or is good ol' buddy box/studnet & instructor make the most since... p.s. i am a competent fixed wing flyer.

thanks, Bman
Old 08-07-2003, 10:37 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

the sim is your ticket to getting the feel of how a heli will fly,its well worth it to use the sim..
Old 08-07-2003, 01:18 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default I'm a G2 Baby!

I've pretty much learned to fly helis using RealFlight G2. I have had some guidance from my friends but never used a buddy box (for helis). I did have an instructor for planes and I think that was beneficial but when I wanted to learn helis the only instructor around charges $75/hr and that was hard to justify.

I've been flying for almost 4 months and I can hover, FFF, stall turns, piros, FF piros, figure 8's,fly nose in, and a little nose in hovering.

I'm just about ready to try some flips, rolls & loops.

Every new maneuver I do I've practiced hundreds of times on the sim until I'm very comfortable with it.

BTW, I have crashed twice. Once on my 1st day. I got my heli a little tilted and panic'd; I shut down the throttle and the heli dropped a couple of feet - BOOM Strike!

The 2nd time was because of mechanical failure and not pilot error.

With that in mind, I think I faired pretty well with the sim.

HTH,
C.P.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Barbary

it's about mind over matter. some people get very comfortable with maneuvers on the sim but freeze up when there's a price tag on crashing. i think the most important piloting skill is the ability to control the heli in all orientations. Once you've mastered that, it becomes easier to recover from botched maneuvers, especially if you practice 3 mistakes high.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Everyone should have one. i use mine everyday, but like Barbary said, the fear factor is missing, and the fear factor is a big deal. i could fly upside down and tear it up pretty good on the sim, but the first day on thereal thing after months of practice on the sim, my thumbs were shaking so bad i couldn't even hover. i just bounced the training gear allong the ground till it wandered off into the desert.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:27 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The sim is a huge bonus, plus your fixed wing time will help. You won't be able to fly the heli perfect right away, but at least you are way ahead of the curve. You will like the real heli.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:23 PM
randy41

Originally posted by Barbary
it's about mind over matter. some people get very comfortable with maneuvers on the sim but freeze up when there's a price tag on crashing. i think the most important piloting skill is the ability to control the heli in all orientations. Once you've mastered that, it becomes easier to recover from botched maneuvers, especially if you practice 3 mistakes high.
well said. LOL