Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

helicopter with only one main blade?

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

helicopter with only one main blade?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
mrfourtysevenman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helicopter with only one main blade?

so a few months ago my friend told me about how they use to have single bladed props for control line. then Nightflyyer on youtube came out with videos on a single bladed prop then a single bladed heli. he says not to try it but more and more people are. even single bladed flybarless helis! my 17th birthday is coming up and i am expecting an esky honey bee king v4 and i want to install a single bladed system on mine. im a kid who believes short flights are for 3D and if you dont do 3D, you should be able to enjoy flying longer.
this will be my first 3D helicopter and was wondering if anybody knows how to make a single rotor blade. i want to fly the heli longer.
i made a single bladed prop for my 3d hawk foamieand it worked until the thing exploded on me.

i try googling single bladed helicopters but all i get are ads foreflite helis.

how would i do this? do i need a digital scale or something?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Real2You

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: helicopter with only one main blade?

I am pretty new to heli's myself....let me get this straight...you want to do what?? You would have one rotor blade(like an rc plane) that you would somehow attach to the head? Or are you actually talking....nahhhh...you couldn't be thinking that....
Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
mrfourtysevenman
My Feedback: (2)

no, i mean take away one of the blades and replace it with a counter balance. heres a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYmasmlz5U4
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
drobin

If it was that easy, I think a lot of people would be doing it.I think it would be dangerous.Like this video. Not everyone can do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGu45s1_QPU
Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RCUniverse is a great site, but it is not the only site. Here are some examples I found doing a simple search on one of my frequently visited site. I apologize if any of these links point to the same video, I cannot see Youtube at work.

[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t543985p1/[/link]
[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t571120p1/[/link]
[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t640964p1/[/link]
[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t499707p1/[/link]
[link]http://airwolfrc.com/[/link]

Rafael
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM
jmann71

here is a link for the BO102 helicopter

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/bo-103.php

this should give you some idea on how to design your counter balance.

Jason
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Solman

In all reality, the concept is simple. The trick is to have the right amount of counterbalance so you don't have vibration. From what I understand, it is suppose to be more effective.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
oyacteen

You know that America and Russia tried single-bladed windmills before, right? It went TERRIBLY!!! It is MUCH MUCH MUCH more effective to use two or 4 blades. Looks cool though!     

Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Solman

You know that America and Russia tried single-bladed windmills before, right? It went TERRIBLY!!! It is MUCH MUCH MUCH moreeffective to use two or 4 blades. Looks cool though!
It also depends on the application as well. Windmills is a different concept that flight. Also for full scale heli's, as you get bigger, you need more blades to distribute the load. On a helicopter, the fewer the blades, the more efficient the rotor. The implication is therefore that a single-bladed rotor will be the most efficient. Theoretically the single blade is more efficient since it doesn't pass in the flow of the other one.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: oyacteen

You know that America and Russia tried single-bladed windmills before, right? It went TERRIBLY!!! It is MUCH MUCH MUCH more effective to use two or 4 blades. Looks cool though!

There is a big, let me clarify that, A HUGE difference between trying to balance the rotor head of a model helicopter and trying to balance the real thing. Most concepts start with models, if it works on the model, then it goes full scale. This is one of those, that full scale did not pan out as good as the model. Plenty to read from on models as posted above.

Rafael
Old 05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
oyacteen

True, true. But there is still a difference in air pressure in the two different areas!!! If you look closely in the video, you can see the helicopter vibrate a bit. But it's still SUCH a cool thing to look at! I can just picture myself back at RC Madness (Yeah, the same place that Traxxas holds the yearly nationals, it's my local hobby store!) flying one of those and people staring at it saying "what the ****?". Lol. Thanks for correcting me!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
oyacteen

Lol. Got this same message from this other guy. Just trying to say that it's really, make that F***ing cool!!!! But, still not the most effective way to get energy transfered from the battery, to the rotating wings where they create a high-pressure zone. Thanks for correcting me and educaating me a bit!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 PM
drobin

I flew the "real thing" in the Army for 20 years as a maintenance officer/maintenance test pilot and would not get near one with only one blade. And I've been accused of flying anything.You also have to take into account how the blades control your direction,ect.Maybe just going up and down?