Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

looking for a beginners heli.

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

looking for a beginners heli.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a beginners heli.

Hello everyone. I've been flying planes for a while now and have been playing with some heli's on a sim.. I think I want to try my luck with one now I just dont know wherer to start.. Is there trainers out there like planes? And it so witch ones are better? I was thinking about electric but it really dont matter. most of my planes now are gas.. I dont want some cheap toy from wal-mart but dont want to destroy a $500 heli either.. Whats the best opions out there?
Thanks James
Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM
olefart

Default RE: looking for a beginners heli.

I would recommend a Nine Eagles Solo Pro (4 channel, fixed pitch). It is fairly easy to fly compared to most, and not that expensive. If you are familar with RC planes, you should be able to learn helicopters. You maywant to get a sim package to help you practice. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 AM
LouDog

From everything I have read and searched, it seems to point at an E-Flite Blade CX2 or CX3. You can pick them up used for about $50-75 RTF
Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
smooreace

I too started with planes.. all gas. The PTS Mustang... larger mustang, and then broke into 80" to 100" stuff. I screwed up and jumped into helicopters by buying a RTF Blade 400 without the transmitter.. Basically a BNF model, but I dont know if they ever sold it that way. Anyway... after close to $200 in repairs I decided to rethink things a bit. With my inflated ego, RC airplane experience, and being that I am a Blackhawk crewchief, there was NO WAY I was going to go back to the basics so far as to buy a coaxial bird. They were just too basic for me to except. I ended up buying a Blade 120SR. Its extremely simple, both in design and in flight. Fairly inexpensive as a BNF model, and is almost unbreakable! It can be flown calmly with no trouble, but will open up and be pretty fast if you push it. I also LOVE Horizons whole BNF (Bind 'en Fly) sales model, allowing me to buy every aircraft they sell almost, and simply bind them to my DX7. The 120SR takes NOTING to set up in the radio, except creating a new profile and setting it to be a heli model.

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 PM
millertym2000

I'm playing with a FSM simulator. I'm getting pretty good at flying the two heli's that come with it. I know I'm no where close to ready for one that advanced but I dont know if I want a mini either.. maybe its ego but I want something I can take outside and fly around and still see it if it gets very far away from me..
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

i started on a b400 i figured why waste  a few hundred here and there on "beginner birds" i wrecked plenty and you should plan on doing it as well i would recommend learning how to  build and setup and having a expierienced person around helps alot i was not fortunate enough to have a second so im learning on my own. u may also want to upgrade to a nicer flight sim fs2 is ok but not to realistic i tried it but didnt find it effective .  these are only opinions
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM
KG4EHL
My Feedback: (3)

From my experience so far, I would suggest an E-Flight Blade MSR. It is a tiny heli, However it performs very well. I flew planes Years ago and just recently grab a Blade MSR.... 5 days ago, and I am already flying everywhere around the house. I have run into walls bannisters etc. and have had no equipment or parts break. It is a 4 Channel Fixed pitch Heli. and in my opinion, more bang for your buck than a co-axial heli which is much more toy like. In fact I had a solid hover down the first day...

Great little copter. Ready to fly for $129 And there are TONS of hop up parts. carbon fiber etc.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH3000

Rob

Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 AM
phillipmorris

I agree with all info given its perhaps what heli you want for your particular needs, are very nice ones out there with low investment. I have the blade 400, still abit much for my current skill but like it tho mostly scale and hover. These min micros are something else and recenlty caught up with them. Ran into this 120 SR as already mentioned and can fly this FP one fantastic as holds its position enough to fly well for me. It will take low breezes outside as well and just above the smaller mico's as 12 inch blades, no not huge but its a winner for inside and out and again handling is I find very exceptional.

For pure amusement here's the 400 far too big for me for inside flight, just kidding but here's a bunnie hop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAm1UWuwVCA

More practible for both worlds here's now my favored 120 SR, I love this puppie

No Joke opened it up right out of the receiving box to a hover, all factory preset, wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n36DpJgE7Jc

Here is the 120 SR outside fun, it won't get away from you at all, its a blast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnAiI...eature=related

Note thats the RTF version, its solid there as well, computer setup transmitter for improvements great, but not required at all, its again that solid, what a ship.

If your still following this here's a hint of what to expect on the maiden, not unusual infact normal to require stick for lift off, important thing is to have it trimmed inflight, not the lift off as always will need some attention. This puppie will handle inside flights amazingly well but give it room at the start then up to your skill level, its a treat to fly, I'm not kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGcfA3cq_g

I've flown many of the eflite products, most are great, and fun with the novus series Nanos but 125 series far better, looking at the new Blade 450, strong candidate as my skill level improves, if ever, hah...Good Luck
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

lol phillip no disrespect intended here but u looked like a kid at xmas i wish my father would get a interest as u have. i have been trying but he likes boats. seriously the b400 is not a inside bird ive broken many a woody inside and bent feather / main shafts other than the b400 wanting to lift off and travel left which is normal for the style i bet if u took it outside gave a touch of right cyclic and incresed the collective a bit faster on take off  you would be putting the 120 up on the mantle or using it to learn fwd circuits. i myself have been learning on the mcpx doing the fwd etc and i have even had the little guy inverted a few times pulled out of inverted successfully once. its a pure adrenalin rush
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: millertym2000
...but dont want to destroy a $500 heli either.. ....
Typical airplane flyer mentality. Helicopters are so different to airplanes that they also crash differently. Contrary to an airplane crash, I have not seen a crash where the helicopter was not repairable. I've seen airplane crashes where there was nothing left. It might not be economical to repair the helciopter, but it still repairable. I have crashed a 90 sized helicopter from about 50ft inverted straight into the main rotor, and had it repaired in about two weeks after unbolting the broken and bent stuff and replacing it with new parts.

Having said that, what is your actual budget? As you already know, there are options from Department Store grade, all the way to fire breathing, lighting fast helicopters. As many options as you have, there are also options to approaching the "learning curve".

If you start with a coaxial, in your living room, that's it. You are alone in your living room yankin' the sticks and maybe learning something. If you start with a more capable helicopter, you have to take certain precautions and I STRONGLY suggest support from your local flying cub. Learning by yourself can be done, but by experience, learning with a flying buddy is twice as easy and many times faster than doing it alone.

As far as suggesting a specific model, I won't. I've seen too many "cheerleaders" for different models that make you think if these people are getting paid to "advertise" a product. I dimply suggest that you talk to your local experienced pilot and ask what he flies and why. There might be reasons why he selected that helicopter. Although there are a handful of helicopters that are more popular across the Nation, there might be a specific model that is more popular in your neck of the woods for a specific reason.

Rafael
Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 PM
d12bn

For a beginner to intermediate pilot wanting to improve their flying I would recommend the first real life simulator the Mcpx. I've crashed my so many times I've lost count and have not broken anything.

Here's my Mcpx with a crash at the end and still no broken parts. Its a game changer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK8hh9Ow7ZU