Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Need a Hobby in Afghanistan!!

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Need a Hobby in Afghanistan!!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Drizzle3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Hobby in Afghanistan!!

Hey everyone!!! Im sure you all are sick of this question but i need to know what to get!!

Ive flown Nitro Planes since i was about 11yrs old and have probably around 10-12 of them back home. I stopped when i joined the army cause i didnt want to tote them with me.

Fast forward to now and im deployed to Afghanistan. My MOS is 15W which is a Shadow UAV Operator for the army. Was trying to figure out something decent for my free time and was thinking back to when i flew nitro planes and how i always wanted to get into Heli's. Figure it will work perfect on our flight line when things are slow. My experience with them is only on the G2 flight simulator i had back in the day. I seemed to have picked it up fairly quick on there but like anything id have to start out slow again.

Here is my only 2 criteria. I want something decent size. Dont really wanna start out with the micro little ones. Even though most of my experience is nitro id say electric. then i dont have to worry about getting fuel shipped out here. Electric has come along way since when i was first flying planes so i think its the best choice for here. For some reason i have the numbers 400-500size motor in my head. Other criteria is i want something that is decent to fly but i also wanna have the option when i get to that point to do a little 3D with it. I dont wanna be buying multiple's while im deployed out here cause its already going to cost an arm and a leg to buy it and get it shipped here.

Back in the day the only heli's i really knew were the raptors i believe, but im sure there is tons of great ones out there now!

Cant wait to hear what yall have to say!! Thanks again!!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need a Hobby in Afghanistan!!

i seen a vid on u tube the guys made either a nitro or gas  powered heli that they mounted shotguns sk's etc on it and it would actually fire  im looking at it this way u could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and smoke terrorists and fly at the same time. i myself am a vet was in the 1st gulf war and in somolia. keep up the good work brother and god speed.  good luck on your choice but its going to be a tough 1 unless u find a hobby shop over there but i would check out a blade 450 myself i have the 400 and am leary about the 450 basically the 450 is the 400 with "better servos and gyro" havent seen to much posted on it though. maybe because every1 knws how eflight usually is. and are just stayin away from em . another decent place worth checkin out would be xheli and hobbyparts they have a tone of the rtf's
Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Mack66

You may find this recent AMA article by Andy Griffith useful: http://www.modelaviation.com/helicopterguide

I fly an Hirobo Sceadu 50 EVO SWM. It has been replaced with the SDX. But these are nitros, although they can be converted to electric. Before I decided to go big, I was almost going to get a Gaui 550 electric. You might want to look at those. Should be plenty big enough and have enough momentum to make learning a bit easier. Trying to learn on the small ones is tougher, I'm told because they get away from you really quick. The bigger ones are more forgiving in my humble opinion.

Good luck in your quest. The right heli for you will not be the right one for others. Keep reading.

And keep you head down over there. And thank you for your service.

Mack
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

At one time many years ago a sandal collection was a good out of country hobby.