Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

3.5ch IR control-board problem

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

3.5ch IR control-board problem

Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Meecro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5ch IR control-board problem

OK - new to RC, but have been messing about with electronics for decades.

Bought a very low-end 3.5ch IRFalconXX-gyro(generic from china) and have managed to keep it alive for over a year - replacing pretty much everything in it except the PCB, which now seems to be failing.
Posting here just in case someone else has seen the same symptoms and thus save me a bunch of diagnostic pain. Yes Iknow Ishould get a new one but I've become quite attached to this little beastie, and I'm a bit of an activist against planned obsolescence.

Each component works to spec out-of-circuit- motors, lights, charger. The tail rotor works in-circuit via IRcontroller.
However, trying to engage the main rotors via IR controller results in the following symptoms:
    [*]The power indicator LED blinks briefly.[*]The rotors 'twitch' and a distinct clicking sound is emitted.[/list]The clicking sound is generated even while the motors are disconnected. [Edit] oops- 1 main rotor motor was still connected.
    If Ididn't know better I'd think an over-current detector was triggering a relay - that's what it sounds like, but there is no relay on the board.
    I've tried getting a circuit schematic from the manufacturer along with specs of the ASIC but no dice.

Has anyone seen this pathology before, and if so - what was the issue?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Meecro

Default RE: 3.5ch IR control-board problem

Ha - turns out one of the motors was on it's way out and failing under load.
The clicking sound was actually coming from one motor(but only under load), an internal arc shorting the circuit and blinking the power indicator.
On to motor #5 I guess. At least they're cheap....
Old 10-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Meecro

Default RE: 3.5ch IR control-board problem

Nope - new motor didn't fix it. Turns out to be a dead driver FET

Anyone got a shrink-ray so Ican replace it (gotta love surface-mount)?