Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner Heli?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Heli?

Hi All,
I have no idea what I should be looking for in a beginner R/C Helicopter. I'm looking to get one for my dad for Christmas this year, but don't know what I should be looking for.
I don't want anything too big or complicated as this would be his first model.
What are some good brands/specs I should be looking for? Any recommendations? Any help would definitely be appreciated!

-Sam
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Default RE: Beginner Heli?

I'm still really new to Helicopters, so you don't have to take my post with face value. Although, from what I've read, seen, and from my own experiences. I would say each beginner may need a different helicopter. If your dad is just looking for some instant fun and reward. Go with a Blade MCX RTF, or any other reputable brand name coaxial helicopter.

But when it comes to people like myself. My first Heli is a Blade MSR which is one step above coaxial's. It's a fixed pitch single rotor heli. I made the leap to something like that, because I've already been in surface based RC for 6 years, and I've tried to fly a couples friend's heli's before. So I knew I would outgrow a coaxial heli pretty quick.

So I think you should base it on your dad's personality style. If you think he's going to only fly it once in a while, get a simple coaxial. Although, if he is already interested in rc heli's, and this isn't a surprise for him; along with him being the "dedicated" type, then go with a nice fixed pitch for him to grow with.

But... I'm still new. I don't know a whole lot in the helicopter world, just my 2 cents.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM

What is the difference between coaxial and a fixed pitch single rotor heli? Sorry, like I said, totally new to this area of expertise.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that would probably help you more than my explanation, but I'll give it  shot.

Coaxial helicopters have 2 main rotors over the body/fuselage of the helicopter. One traveling counter-clockwise, and the other traveling clockwise. I'm not sure what it two rotors offer aerodynamically, but it provides very stable operation, the helicopter will also have minimal pitch and roll.

Fixed pitch helicopter's offer 1 single rotor, normally with a flybar. These model's will have a vertical tail rotor on the end of the tail to keep the helicopter from spinning under the single main rotors torque. The reason some people call them anti-torque helicopters. These operate very similar to the coaxial helicopters, but they require a lot more precise control, they are very touchy and responsive. They offer a higher level of difficulty to people that are more dedicated/experienced to the hobby.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Cojac92

I'm still really new to Helicopters, so you don't have to take my post with face value. Although, from what I've read, seen, and from my own experiences. I would say each beginner may need a different helicopter. If your dad is just looking for some instant fun and reward. Go with a Blade MCX RTF, or any other reputable brand name coaxial helicopter.

But when it comes to people like myself. My first Heli is a Blade MSR which is one step above coaxial's. It's a fixed pitch single rotor heli. I made the leap to something like that, because I've already been in surface based RC for 6 years, and I've tried to fly a couples friend's heli's before. So I knew I would outgrow a coaxial heli pretty quick.

So I think you should base it on your dad's personality style. If you think he's going to only fly it once in a while, get a simple coaxial. Although, if he is already interested in rc heli's, and this isn't a surprise for him; along with him being the ''dedicated'' type, then go with a nice fixed pitch for him to grow with.

But... I'm still new. I don't know a whole lot in the helicopter world, just my 2 cents.
++1 great post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 AM

well good question.....

i guess before seeing what your flying he has to fly first...

stuff like the double horse 3 channel are very stable for the most part and can handle a small amount of weight

t rex makes a real good 250 to 700 size heli's but as they get bigger the get more costly to maintain and repair as well as going from 3 channel to 6 channel is a big step

4 channel helis come in two sets of rotors stacked or one set in a fixed angle pitch these heli's, the 4 ch ones are inbetween in ability level so he can get better and advance

going for the big 600 to 700 heli's will run you $700 - $1800 to start then there is a lot of putting together

i sould sat start him off small and see how he handles it

here are a few pictures of different size helis and a project with what it takes to put it together<br type="_moz" />

<fieldset><legend accesskey="I">Attachments</legend><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width="10"> <tbody> <tr> <td><a class="highslide" onclick="return hs.expand(this, { slideshowGroup: '10768902', align: 'center' })" href="http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/560749/Ge94541.jpg"><font color="#00265e">
<font size="1">Click for fullsize</font></font></a></td> <td><a class="highslide" onclick="return hs.expand(this, { slideshowGroup: '10768902', align: 'center' })" href="http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/560749/Mh21313.jpg"><font color="#00265e">
<font size="1">Click for fullsize</font></font></a></td> <td><a class="highslide" onclick="return hs.expand(this, { slideshowGroup: '10768902', align: 'center' })" href="http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/560749/Kp34915.jpg"><font color="#00265e">
<font size="1">Click for fullsize</font></font></a></td> <td></td> </tr> </tbody></table></fieldset>
Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the help, guys.<div>
</div><div>What would be a good size heli for a beginner? Any specific models you would recommend? I'm looking to spend somewhere around 300-400. Does that sound like a reasonable price range for a good basic helicopter?</div>
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 AM

In my opinion that's a lot for a beginner helicopter... What if he doesn't like it? I would say spend $150-250 for a beginner helicopter. Do you know if he is already interested in helicopter's? Also, do you think the majority of his flying will be inside or outside?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM

a 4 channel fixed blade or coaxial rtf would be right there imo. if you wanted to spend a little more than the 150 -200 you could add in a flight sim ttrainer kit and extra batteries and a decent charger, as none of the chargers work very fast and one battery is never enough for any type of rc, buy all that and you can easily get into that 300 plus range. i wouldnt get the cp heli unless hes already flying one. i dont have a specific model i can reccomend so ill leave that to others.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM

@Cojac92 He would be flying oustside. He's been interested in helicopters for years, but me having just graduated from college, I can finally get him one to have fun with. The price range was just a figure I had in mind, not anything firm, because I know absolutely nothing about these helicopters! HAHA<div>
</div>
Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM

To keep maintenance cost down, and complexity you could go with a Blade 120 SR bind and fly (doesn't come with a transmitter), but he couldn't fly outside on days with winds over 5 mph. On the plus side he could still use it indoors with a large area if he wanted.

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EFLH3180

And then also purchase a transmitter... It's more than he needs for a 120 SR, but he will be able to keep that same transmitter for any future helicopters he may purchase. It's also a six channel transmitter so it will allow him to step up to a collective pitch bird in the future.

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SPMR6610

I'm still fairly new to helicopters so if some of you other guys could help out with some other models that would possibly fit the bill, I didn't know of much else someone could start out on fairly cheap and have plenty of replacement parts. Unless you do what some people say to do... Start out on a collective pitch bird to begin with, but I'm not sure that would work out for everyone.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

In my opinion , for a beginner rc,I would say spend less than $150 here. i have my own 8501 in that shop! I hope it can help you,my friend!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM

So I'm guessing that Blade is one of those reputable brands that you mentioned in a previous post. How big is sub-micro? I know I'm being really annoying with all these questions, but what makes a better model - gas or electric?

Again, apologies for all the stupid questions. I just wanna know a bit more before I make a purchase...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Yes, Blade is one of the reputable brands I mentioned before. I don't personally own a 120 SR, I have the model that is a little bit smaller (mSR) Although, for an idea of the size of it here's a link to a YouTube video. (It's not my video) The best size comparison comes around 1:50 in the video while it is in the pilot's hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm5QAJzunPw

Your questions aren't annoying. You won't learn near as fast without asking questions!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 PM

On the heliproz website that you linked, there are a couple different types of helis - namely gas/nitro and electric? Is electric better? Someone above mentioned TRex, is that another one of the reputable brands?

Any time I ask a buttload of questions, I feel like I'm a bit annoying haha. All this research is making me kinda want one of these helis, too!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't say any of the different types are better than the other. I'd just recommend an electric helicopter for someone new to the hobby. Although, anyone could start out on a nitro powered helicopter. It's just a steeper learning curve. I started out in surface based RC with a nitro powered stadium truck.

With your dad not already being in the hobby. I'd recommend an electric. T-Rex is a model name. The brand is Align... someone correct me if I'm wrong. Align is a reputable brand as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM

The counter rotating rotors are meant to cancel-out the torque effect of one main rotor. And provide yaw by slowing oneset of blades and letting the torque of theother provide the flat spin. They are good to learn the basics, ie throttle conrol and orientation.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:27 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Cojac92

I wouldn't say any of the different types are better than the other. I'd just recommend an electric helicopter for someone new to the hobby. Although, anyone could start out on a nitro powered helicopter. It's just a steeper learning curve. I started out in surface based RC with a nitro powered stadium truck.

With your dad not already being in the hobby. I'd recommend an electric. T-Rex is a model name. The brand is Align... someone correct me if I'm wrong. Align is a reputable brand as well.

[/quote

Yes indeed T-rex is the "flagship" of the Align brand. Align gained fame with the T-rex 450. Since, other manufacturers have followed and now we have the T -rex clones all over. Think of it as the IBM pc and the PCclones by HP, Compaq, Gateway,ect ect.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM

Hey guys,
So I decided to take your advice @Cojac and get him a Blade 120SR. Actually, I got him a Blade MCX to practice on for now and will be giving him the 120SR on Christmas morning.

Thanks for all your help guys! =] Couldn't have done this without all your help!<br type="_moz" />
Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Cojac92

In my opinion that's a lot for a beginner helicopter... What if he doesn't like it? I would say spend $150-250 for a beginner helicopter. Do you know if he is already interested in helicopter's? Also, do you think the majority of his flying will be inside or outside?
I am by you side on your standpoint. except for what you like to fly. you also need to see the pilot around you. so that you are not alone when you operated your flight and then exchange different flight experience.

Helicopter for the Begainners. I think Coaxial helis will suitable for you which can guide you into the helis field gradually . after Coaxial helis, you can leap to fixed-pitch or CCPM helis.
well. Please bear in mind that simulator is quite good choice for begainners. and you can get free crash....

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion....crashes are free on an mSR also. That is one durable little sucker.....great indoor heli to learn on.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM

I to am farly new to helis but I have used a Falcon 40 to learn on It is farly easy to fly and not very expensive and parts to repar are cheep to. It durbill and can take a fair amout of beating with out breaking. http://www.xheli.com/exceedheli-falc...FUHsKgod1X5ZrA There about 100 buck all you do is charge the battery and fly. It has every thing you need and If you do a google search for promo codes you can usualy find free shiping or 10 - 20 % off. I would reconmend the tranning gear you can find it on the same sight its about 10 extra. This is a good one to learn and it is about as stable as they come. It is a good size and if you have a big room you could hover it in side and it will fly put side up to about 5 mph wind.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM

I totally agree with Karenheli, a coax would be the proper way to start in the hobby and then move up to fixed and finally CCPM. Most coax helis do not have a swashplate thus you can concentrate in lift, (up down), pitch or nick (nose forward of backwards)and yaw (flat rotation lef or right).Although I don't know your abilities; for the mostpart,starting on a ccpm or fixed pitch standard heli woulbbelike learningto ride bicyclesusing a unicycle. IMHO