Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Aggressive Flying

Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Cojac92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aggressive Flying

So, I've got about 30 batteries of flight time in on myBlade mSR. I had a 4 day weekend and that is absolutly all I've been doing. By lunch time today I had pretty much killed my mSR. As I speak, I'm in the middle of replacing my main frame, flybar, landing skid, and main rotor blades. (The canopy will be soon, it's already all busted up.) After about 20 batteries of flight time I had got to where I could take off from an extremely small spot, do spot landings, and I had my circles and figure 8's down pat. So for the last 10 batteries I've been do my figure 8's again, but with fast and aggressive banking. I do alright 40% of the time, but the rest of the time the helicopter get's a little too much energy built up and ends up in a violent crash.

So, my question is am I headed in the right direction? I don't feel like I know what to work on next in my flight abilities. I understand I can't do much with a fixed pitch ultra micro helicopter, but I'm sure there are some different patterns I can fly that I will learn more control from.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Cojac92

Default RE: Aggressive Flying

While finishing putting it back together I set the swashplate on advanced, and I'm using the high rate setting on my transmitter, and I started flying my straight lines with alternating turns at the ends, and figure 8s again.

I see this thread has a good bit of views, but no posts. I suppose this will serve as a "bump" as well.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Precision hovering is boring to watch but great practice. Something that has helped me is to focus on hovering and moving in varied (but chosen) patterns in all orientations. Decide where you want the heli and put it there. Then try it nose-in. Then try it from both sides. Then try it while doing a slow pirouette....! Seriously, maneuvering the heli and hovering in a spot occasionally while doing a constant-rate pirouette is very demanding, but also very beautiful. And it's extremely satisfying! One of my favorite "zen" moments in my heli learning process was when I was still pretty rough on anything other than tail-in hovering, especially pirouettes. Then one day I just entered the prettiest little rotation and slid the heli right across the flight line where I wanted it to go....awesome!!!! I now incorporate pirouettes into my normal routine, to help sharpen my skills. Great skill-builder, and something a little different from (and far more graceful than) the usual 3D craziness.

Matt
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Cojac92

Thanks for the input "dabigboy." I haven't thought of precision placement while keeping it nose-in, and haven't tried moving pirouettes yet either. Both of those will help a lot!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Cojac92

After I got it back together last night, I flew 2 full battery flights and then I killed a main rotor blade. Got that replaced today, and then I had really bad TBE. Because of the TBE I had a moderate crash and broke the link collars/guides on the main rotor hub. The tab on the back of the swashplate doesn't want to stay in it's collar either. The closest local hobby shop is 100+ miles round trip and the soonest I could have anything shipped to me from online would be Monday.

I'm getting really frustrated with this mSR. I feel like going out and putting a $500 flybarless CP heli on credit tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Cojac92

I replaced the main rotor blade grip today and got rid of my TBE.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Mack66

Have you seen the IRCHA Progressive Pilot Program? I've attached the documentation for all levels. I've found it very helpful in setting goals for my training progress.

Good luck and don't give up.

Mack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hf98290.pdf (29.6 KB, 10 views)
Hc92629.pdf (35.0 KB, 10 views)
Rw56958.pdf (33.4 KB, 11 views)
Zt52777.pdf (35.9 KB, 12 views)
Yj64705.pdf (33.2 KB, 9 views)
Iz36803.pdf (32.7 KB, 7 views)
Mo16513.pdf (19.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Cojac92

Thanks for the PDF files. I haven't heard of the Progressive Pilot Program. I have heard about the more recent "Mild to Wild" program they had/have with the Gaui X5.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Mack66

What I like about the PPP program is that nowhere do they say you HAVE to complete one level before trying something in the next. It just says you can't be certified on one level until you've been certified on all previous levels plus the requirements in the present level.

It kinda gives you a punch list of what to work on in progressively sensible levels of difficulty. Note that nose-in shows up later.

Hope this helps. It sure helped me focus.

Mack
Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Cojac92

Yeah it sure does help. It will give me some more goals. I appeciate it Mack!