Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Skills?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skills?

So I picked up a Blade Scout CX (3- channel) to get an intro to flying rc helicopter, about 3 weeks ago. I love it and I'm hooked! I've had a blast learning and flying it in the house. I've been trying to refine my skills by try to hover and land on "targets". I've been intintionally stalling it so that I can hear and see how it reacts and teach my self how to recover (btw this little heli stalls easily in sharp reverse turns). I know I have a lot of learning to refine my skills but I was curious what else I should focus on before I go to a 4-channel heli? Or should I bite the bullet and go ahead and move on up? After doing some reading and talking to a guy at the local shop my next purchase will be the Blade 120 SR RTF ( I'm open to other models if anyone has any other suggestions).

I really want more manuverability and know that will come from the Blade 120. It was suggested to be to skip the Blade MCx. This was after the guy at the shop saw me fly mine around a bit. I'd really like to go in and pick up the 120 tomorrow but I'm wondering if I should hold off and improve my flying ability or am I being over cautious? Also as I mentioned what are some good techniques to practice? I realize I've only been "flying" a couple of weeks but I'm really enjoying this and while I'm excited about learning more want to make sure I don't skip any of the basics.<br type="_moz" />
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Skills?

If you are eventually wanting to move up to bigger heli's, then I would probably by a sim, get some time on it, then get a Blade 400 or something similar. If you are going to stick with indoor flying, then the 120 is a good choice.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Default RE: Skills?

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jsnelson

So I picked up a Blade Scout CX (3- channel) to get an intro to flying rc helicopter, about 3 weeks ago. I love it and I'm hooked! I've had a blast learning and flying it in the house. I've been trying to refine my skills by try to hover and land on "targets". I've been intintionally stalling it so that I can hear and see how it reacts and teach my self how to recover (btw this little heli stalls easily in sharp reverse turns). I know I have a lot of learning to refine my skills but I was curious what else I should focus on before I go to a 4-channel heli? Or should I bite the bullet and go ahead and move on up? After doing some reading and talking to a guy at the local shop my next purchase will be the Blade 120 SR RTF ( I'm open to other models if anyone has any other suggestions).

I really want more manuverability and know that will come from the Blade 120. It was suggested to be to skip the Blade MCx. This was after the guy at the shop saw me fly mine around a bit. I'd really like to go in and pick up the 120 tomorrow but I'm wondering if I should hold off and improve my flying ability or am I being over cautious? Also as I mentioned what are some good techniques to practice? I realize I've only been "flying" a couple of weeks but I'm really enjoying this and while I'm excited about learning more want to make sure I don't skip any of the basics.<br type="_moz" />
Given that you will be moving from a coax to fixed pitch, the 120 will help yourindoor flight and control. You may ask why am I pointing outthe difference, with coax helis you don't have to work the cyclic as you would on a regular. They do not bank (crabbing), they turn on a flat axis while four channels +do. Thus you combine your ailerons, rudder and nose pitch . It sounds complicated but you will get to love it. (specially the setups). IMO this hobby is 70% setting up and 30% flying, inmy case that 30 goes into (15 fly/15crash) The hardest for me was to lift off without a worry on the coax's, not so with the regulars as you will notice.