Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 HELP!! Complete R/C beginner and son need advice. >

HELP!! Complete R/C beginner and son need advice.

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

HELP!! Complete R/C beginner and son need advice.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Complete R/C beginner and son need advice.

My step-son and Iare interested in getting into the R/C helicopter hobby. But trying to read online about different helicopters have done nothing except confuse me even more.

What is a good quality, easy to fly (but not a "cheap toy"), <u>READYTOFLYout of the box </u>helicopter for us to learn with and hopefully progress on to bigger and better models? We have a ball park budget of $300 or less to start with so that we can see if we want to go deeper into it without dropping a month's salary into it as beginners.

Any and all help, advice, direction will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Default RE: HELP!! Complete R/C beginner and son need advice.

You could start out with a 4 channel co-axial, but I would go with a Nine Eagles Solo Pro. It is a Micro size 4 channel heli with a 45 degree fly bar. This flybar makes the heli quit stable for it's size. It is a little harder to learn, but you will be challanged a lot longer than if you go co-axial. It can be flown out doors in a slight breeze, but anything more than a few MPH will spell trouble for you.This bird sells for less around $110 ready too fly (well, you have to charge the battery first). Here is a very good place to get one....
http://www.clubheli.com/Nine-Eagles-...W-_p_3255.html. Just my opinion, I'm sure you will get more. Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM

hello,
i am new to this as well. have one under the tree for christmas, sorta, lol. have been flying r/c nitro planes for years but decided to give helicopters a try. well, when i made the decision i looked at three things mainly. what i wanted it to do, how much it cost, and availability of parts and their cost. since i am a beginner i really do not need one that does 3D or stunts, not yet anyway. i basically need one that i can hover and do basic flight manuevers with until i get the hang of it. everyone will be different in what their goals are, so give some thought to what yours are. i looked at different types, read reviews, looked at postings in this forum and a few others before i decided on which way to go. the electric ESKY honeybee FP 2 seems to be a topic of many discussions, so i looked at and ultimately decided on it for my first.it was bought online and was on sale, for just under $100 complete with a 4 channel 2.4Ghz radio. parts are very available and inexpensive. for my needs, it was the perfect choice to get my feet wet with. the fact that it is 22" long with the same main rotor blade length, makes it a very nice size for a beginner. not so small that you need a pair of binnoculars to see it across the room, and not so big that it is intimidating.
asfar as the "fly right out of the box" goes. they mainly are but not totally, so dont be discouraged if you get one and have to make adjustments. mine did actually need some minor tweaking to the tail rotor and main blades but it was easy enough to do. my instruction manual coversmuch of this, but did not mention that making adjustments to the gyro or proportioner required unplugging the receiver battery, then back in for the adjustment to take effect. good thing for this forum, because i learned that here reading posts. since i am not allowed to "touch" it anymore until after christmas, i will not be able to make a final judgement on my choice until after then. her adding chains around the wrapping paper has put a serious dent in my "fly beforehand" plans, lol.
hope this helps, or atleast gives you a direction of things to think about and good luck with your choice.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Hi jandrews99, Coaxials are your best bet for entering this kind of hobby!  Coaxial helicopter's are for beginners because it is easy to operate.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Another vote for coaxials. There are a lot of good helis out there, and a lot of not so good ones. If you read theseforums enough, you will see several that are mentioned repeatedly. My vote goes for the Blade CX2. It flies great inside, and will handle a very minor breeze outside. It's not the cheapest, but the quality, customer support, and availability of replacement parts makes it the best value in my book. You can buy cheaper birds from Hong Kong, but thecost of shippingeverytime you order replacement blades or other parts will soon eat up any money you save up front. Just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Coaxials are a good place to start and are nice to have around to let others " try " heli's...but...and this is just my opinion because I have one...I would get a Blade mSR. They are for indoor flight....they are EXTREMELY durable....and are quick enough to not get bored after a few weeks. If your step son is older than lets say 10 he'll be wanting more of a challenge after learning how to hover(which takes 2 minutes on a coaxial). Again...just my opinion...you will learn faster I think on a mSR. 300.00 budget can get you both!! Have fun and good luck!!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like we have alot of choices to pick from.