Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 Used Blade cx2 does the shimmy >

Used Blade cx2 does the shimmy

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Used Blade cx2 does the shimmy

Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Used Blade cx2 does the shimmy

O.k short and sweet. I bought a used Blade cx2 just to see if I like it. It came with all the upgrades including motors not bad really but I need to know if it should be jumping all around on the ground like a washing machine full of rocks. All the parts appear new and the previous owner says that they were barely used but you know how that goes. I really can't ask him because I got it off ebay but I do have the instuctions. When you power up the throttle to abot 1/2 it shakes all over the floor and starts spinning in a circle. I also notice that it appears the lower blade tips are flexing down quite a bit. I just basicly need to know if this is normal to shake so much, and if not what should should I be looking at. I fly airplanes but I was a crew cheif on Huey's back in the day. Thanks to all who reply.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Used Blade cx2 does the shimmy

The set of blade you are talking about bowing down are no doubt the wrong set. Run the motors at a very low spead so you can see if the leading edge is the upper part. It'd be like if you put a pusher prop on the front of a regular airplane. it'd want to fly backawards,
this is causing the heli to want to fly down insted of up. Maybe both sets are on wrong, or you have two upper sets.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks Ace, I never thought of that. I was holding it by the tail and running it up to almost full throttle and it seemed to start to lift off some but not as much as I expected. I am also going to check the blades for balance and also see if the main shaft is bent. It really is a nice setup the guy put in all the hop ups including better motors and a metal frame and for a hundred bucks, hey what the heck.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM
My Feedback: (6)

For $100 you got a good deal, there can't be too much wrong with it. In addition to making sure the correct blades are installed and are not damaged, here's a few more things to check:
1. Check the rotation andmake sure both sets of blades are going in the correct direction. Get a magnifying glass and check the connectors on the 5 in 1 controller. The blades may be spinning, but if the motors are not plugged into the correct ports or they are plugged in with polarity reversed, theywill notwork properly.
2. Check the plane of the blades and fly bar and make sure they are true. Tape or hold the skids down to a table and get down eye level with the blades, if they are not tracking in the same plane then you have to adjust the linkage.
3. Check the swash plate, make sure it is not seperated and is adjusted properly. I have worked on two of these for friends that had the swash plate or the servo linkages incorrectly installed.
4. Check the main rotor gears for wear and check for excessive side play that may indicate a worn or missing lower bearing.

The last thing, which is harder to check, is that both motors are turning at the proper RPM. This shouldn't cause "wobbling", but it will causeit tospin erraticallylikea real bird with a tail rotor problem would do.

Let us know what you find!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Thanks again all for the help. I will give it a good going over from top to bottom, and let you know how it works out. Any thought on the training gear they offer? Should I just make my own?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 AM
My Feedback: (6)

The training gear will pay for itself by saving your blades. Banging the blades against objects or the ground is going to happen when you are firstlearning how to fly. The training gear greatly reducesstrikes to theto the blades.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 PM

If you don't have it, get the manual. You can download it from Horizon. In addition to the wrong blades, the previous owner may have plugged one or both motors in backwards, which will give you a very strangely operating helicopter.

Also wouldn't hurt to take the blades off and weigh/balance them.

Check out the flybar too and make sure its weights are equal distance from the mainshaft.

Once you get the thing to hover correctly you will want to check out tracking. You can't do much about the lower blades but you can adjust the upper blades by shortening or lengthening the link connecting the blades to the flybar.

Oh yeah, and before I forget, check the blades for warping when you have them off. If they are warped, you can straighten them out by boiling them in hot water, and then laying them on a flat surface until they cool. I am not making this up. It works.

Also, you can call tech service (their no. is in the manual). They are very good and very patient with newbies. You can even leave your number and they will call you back. Also they can order any parts you might need as a result of your discussion.

You will want to order parts typically destroyed in a crash especially blades, flybars, and shafts. Heh. Might throw a couple gears in there too. I'm talking from experience here.

CX2 is fun. You will get totally addicted. Then you will end up like me. See my profile haha.

Good luck and have fun.

Mack
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM

WOW ! you guys are the bomb ! I really appreciate all your tips and help. I will take a couple of photos later. Right now it appears that both sets of blades are right the upper turns counter clockwise and the lower turns clockwise. How do I know what is an upper from a lower blade? They all look the same. I can see that I am missing a flybar weight on one end so I will need that, News flash! removing the other weight stops the Shimmy, now she's smooth as a Latin mamba ! I will put the body back on and give it a little test run on the carpet. I printed out he parts list and manuel so I can get some parts. Guess it's time for a trip to the local hobby shop. Where's the best place to buy batteries? I got 2 chargers with this and I have a triton so lets go!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 PM

O.K THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN! I scooted along the floor and even got a little hover in Sweet !
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 PM

O.k as I mentioned before I found the problem to the vibration which was the missing flybar weight, for now I removed the other one. I'm not sure how critical it is to have them but I will get more soon. Tonight I tried to do some hovering and once it gets into the air it begins going around in an ever increasing circle. Rudder seems to have no effect except to change the nose direction, cyclic does not seem to help either. So could this be because of the missing weights or because I need to adjust the gain or proportional trim?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 PM

It's called the Toilet Bowl Effect and occurs commonly on the CX2. It has been discussed lots of places, and if you google it you'll get hours of entertainment.

Try http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66...tm.htm#6647683 first and see if the advice there helps.

And yes it is related to your flybar. Without weights, it will be quite skittish and tend to be unstable, but you can check some things while the weights are off!

Hope this helps.

Mack
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Thanks, I thought that might be it, I went to my LHS and he told me that was the issue and I picked up a new flybar and some training gear. Thank you for the link.