Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 newbie crashing non stop! >

newbie crashing non stop!

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

newbie crashing non stop!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie crashing non stop!

Well, I decided I wanted to fly a helicopter around the house. After a lot of research I decided to go for a Blade msr. Maybe my hand eye coordination/reflex isn't what I thought it was. I'm crashing this thing continuously. I was in high-rate mode for the first 2 packs and that didn't go to well, lol! Low-rate was much better but I think I'll spend another $80 and get the mcx to learn some skills.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Default RE: newbie crashing non stop!

Numero UNO
Install training gear.

Second;
If you have dual rate curves on the control make'em into an S pattern as opposed the the diagonal ( / ) pattern.

Third
Tame the pitch and throttle curves

Fourth
Tail in, tail in, tail in.

Fifth
Hover until you spend one whole battery (without landing) inside a two meter diameter circle, one meter will be ideal.

Hope this helps
</p>
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks Felix, I just ran a couple more packs and can hover pretty well. My problem is with the rudder and throttle on the same stick. Anytime I try to turn, things go bad, so I just go forward and backward, side to side... It's really annoying.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Hi alexhunter, I agree with Felix.  When your turning you should have a timing don't do it quickly. Watch videos from youtube to learn more things and skill. Hope you can fly better!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:10 AM

Indeed, turning is a subtle movement. If you have 3D or CF blades (the really light ones) try FG or plastic. A heavier blade provides for a much controlable flight.

Unless you are trying aflat 360 spin, your turn should start with aileron (banking) first, followed by very slight rudder and more aggressive noseup.
In that sequence your craft will behave like the big ones. On these turns the rudder is a morepassive command only correcting VERYLITTLE of the
maneuver. I've seen people flight and turn using a styrofoam plate for rudder without any spinning propeller on it.

If it is a 360, then place on your throttle curve a small flat line sectionAFTER the hover mid-stick point, this will prevent the all too familiar up or down
on the spin.

If you start your flight heading left hand side, your turn should ALWAYS be to the right and vice versa, in essence always have the nose turn AWAY
from you. Otherwise you will run into a nose-in postion, it gets kind of weird then

Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 AM

hey felix, the MSR is a 4 channel heli (in case you did not know). Much of the info you offered (#s 2 and 3) are not possible with this bird.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 AM

Oooops !  Thanks Olefart, Alex if this is the case; guess focus on my other post, forget the curves for now and try the bank, slight rudder and nose up sequence.  
Old 12-15-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Give it a little extra throttle when turning or the mSR will start to drop. If you are hovering and moving forward and backwards....I doubt getting a coaxial will help you much. Just be patient....before long you'll be zipping that heli around the house. Nice thing is...all those crashes and the heli keeps flying.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM

I agree with Real2you, if you are already hovering a single rotor bird, do not go back to coax, it will only slow your process. In my case it was coax first, then fixed-pitch (four channel flybarless-Walkera 4F180) and only then CCPM (both FB and FBL).

Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks guys, I'll keep at it with the msr. I think there may be some type of damage from all the crashes though. I'm constantly trimming and when hovering it rocks forward and backward a fair bit. Or is that normal. How stable should the hover be? Just to clarify, when I'm hovering I can keep it in one spot but it rocks back and forth without me touching the elevator stick.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Is it rocking or nosebobing ?

If Rocking back and forth, that could be several things:

Un-leveled swash plate, look at it from the side and it should be flat
if not,adjust the ball linkage on the pitch servo.

A glitchy pitch servo

Loose ball link - Messed up blades, warped flybar, loose/unbalanced head.... and the list goes on.

Perhaps other members have more on this, but these would be my areas of
concern.

Ifnose bobing, it could be worn orunlubedhead damperson the feathering shaft
(ifsoequiped) which I doubt cause this is usually on CCPM (6channels)

Nohover is 100% steady unles you use aKDS Flymentor or other computerizedstabilization
system.For obvious reasons, we humans can't correct coursein tenths or thousandths of a second.
Try to keep in within the narrowest margin of a two feet or one foot diameter circle that's pretty good (imho)
Oddly enough FBL's hovering is easier given the three axis stabilizatilon.

Hope thishelps

ORIGINAL: alexhunter

Thanks guys, I'll keep at it with the msr. I think there may be some type of damage from all the crashes though. I'm constantly trimming and when hovering it rocks forward and backward a fair bit. Or is that normal. How stable should the hover be? Just to clarify, when I'm hovering I can keep it in one spot but it rocks back and forth without me touching the elevator stick.
</p>
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My mSR does some weird stuff also....but I just thought it was because it's so small..... you have to use small inputs at all times to fly smooth. I can hover my mSR hands free for like 8-10 seconds...it's that stable. I basically use mine to practice all the different orientations of hovering and It helps with the muscle memory for when I practice on my Raptor 50. To answer your question...mine doesn't rock back and forth at all. It's crashed a million times and I have never replaced anything on it....now I have had to adjust things....rearrange the canopy....move parts here and there that have shifted, etc.....just look it over very closely to find things you might have missed that may not be working properly.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Great! Thanks for the help. I'll look things over and try again tonight when the kiddies go to bed.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Dang. I can't see any damage but I have to max out two of my trims, the Aileron (all the way right) and the elevator (all the way down). And I still have to compensate in flight to keep it from banking left and moving forward.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Seems to be a setting problem. Have you checked for a leveled swashplate ?

Do you have any other settings (sub trims) or pots (potentiometers) ?

Remove the head assembly leaving only the swasplate hooked to
the heli via the links, see if you can fit a small enough buble lever
to check forward tilt and side tilt on the swash. If not, try to eyeball
it to your best ability.

Hope this helps
Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 AM

It came with a little tool to calibrate the swash plate and I've done that. There's no other settings on the Tx that I know of. I guess I'll take some things apart and hopefully figure something out, or else I'll be shelling out another $100 for a BNF.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Check to see if the fly-bar is bent, or uneven (side to side from the head). Use a ruler, calipers, or a piece of paper and pen to check this. Check the position of the flybar paddles. they should be parallel to the swashplate.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
My Feedback: (2)

lol i would put a p in that mcx why waste your dough? the mcpx is a tough lil guy except the tail but theres tons of upgrades and fixes for that ! but it is probly a bit more squirrely than your use to .