Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

flight sim realism...

Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flight sim realism...

i have tried the fms that came with my honeybee, and it simply has too many rendering problems to make it of any value or worth trying to correct. i see different people talking about commercial flight sims. how realistic are they really? where i am going to have initial problems is liftoff and the fact that heli's by nature drift left at take off. do these sims offer the same realism that you will experience when transitioning to the real thing? i would appreciate any input... thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Default RE: flight sim realism...

In my opinion a Sim will only help you familiarize yourself with the "sticks". They are a lot different than flying a heli in real life. Just don't think if you can master your bird on a Sim that you will be a master in the real life.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A Flight Simulator is great for learning and practicing different orientations, hovering, forward flight, 3D...everything.....getting muscle memory. But to me...when I first learned to hover...it was ALOT easier to hover my real life Raptor 50 in a 5 foot diameter circle than it was to hover any heli on the SIM in the same size area. I have realflight 4.5 and its been very helpful.....but I put training gear on the Raptor and was hovering in a day. A good set up has a lot to do with learning ...flying a big heli helps a lot too....and the biggest thing of all was not being intimidated. Once Igot through all the nervousness and smell of nitro.....the loud engine....52" rotor diameter(can be scary) and just relaxed....it wasn't to bad at all. Believe me it's an adrenaline rush when you first learn to hover and actually have "control"....A lot of fun!!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 PM

the intimidating part for me is the fact that it slides left when it gets light on its gear, which i know is normal. trying to stay focused on the nose rather then the tail has been a challenge as well, but not so bad that i cant correct my train of thought over. you both make excellent points regarding sims and i appreciate both views. i probably will hold off on an expensive sim for now. having flown nitro planes for years, i already have a good feel for the controller and the sticks, but have to get more accustomed to their sensitivity with what they affect. with planes...they only move in one direction at a time and only in forward movement. heli's can go multple directions in a split second! i have the training gear, which greatly helps and i have been just keeping it lite to learn sensitivity and direction. i had hoped that a sim could benefit this, but i do agree that mastering a sim doesnt mean you have mastered the heli itself.
thanks fella's... much appreciated!