Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 Desperate for some help on a 2nd heli! >

Desperate for some help on a 2nd heli!

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Desperate for some help on a 2nd heli!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate for some help on a 2nd heli!

I am new to rc heli's and have an Xieda 9958 micro FP. It jumps left on takeoff no matter how I adjust the trims, and even if the swashplate is level. I am getting better with it though, and want a larger size FP heli that will be a little more stable and able to fly outside on a calm day. Unfortunately I don't have a big budget. $150-200 for everything and want an RTF. I have seen so many in that price range, but don't know what would really be best for more of a beginner? E-sky honey bee, Walkera Uflys, Exceed Madhawk or Falcon, or Walkera Uflys? I have seen so many reviews, and videos that I just don't know what to do. Anybody with experience with any of these mentioned? Thanks for the help, and happy flying!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 PM

Default RE: Desperate for some help on a 2nd heli!

hi there! i am new to rc heli's as well. my honeybee 2 fp does the same thing but my understanding is that sliding left at liftoff is normal regardless of size. once it is in the air by a couple to a few feet, it becomes more stable and trimmable. most of the guys here are recommending for beginners to start out with a co-axial heli first, then go to a fixed pitch. while i already have my new honeybee (now under the tree for christmas), i am taking their advice and have ordered a co-axial to start first with. the dual main rotor blades are suppose tooffer very stable liftoff and landingsand give the beginner the chance to learn manuevering and to become more comfortable with the flight characteristics common to helis.most everyonehere seem to share this opinion, that co-axials are the way to go before fixed pitch for beginners.good onesare very affordable ($60-$150) and come in as small as micro size up to about 20" in length. not saying that you should rush out and buy one, just saying that it is worth considering and might help? i like my honeybee fp way too much to tear it up by moving to quickly, lol.
hope this helps, but good luck and happy flying!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the reply spoonerrw. Have you flown your Honeybee much yet? I have been flying my little fp micro quite a bit until I hurt it and am now waiting for parts. I am really starting to get the hang of the FP so I don't want to go back to a coaxial. I am really trying to decide what larger fp heli to get at this point. With the little invested in the Xieda 9958, I will just fly that and hammer the crap out of it until I am more comfortable on my larger heli once I get it. If you get any more flights with the Honeybee please let me know how it works/acts in the air or just your overall opinion of it with a little flight time. I am going bonkers trying to figure out what to get, and really want to pull the trigger! Thanks!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 PM

i considered a micro at first, but realized that i would need binnoculars to see it at any distance, lol. i have not yet flown my honeybee but i have played around with it on the ground trying to get a feel for how it is going to behave and making sure that the tail rotor is adjusted correctly. ihave flownnitro planes for years, but have quickly realized that heli's are a totally different animal. i took my honeybee outside once, spooled it up until it was lite on the skids, then ramped up the throttle a littleto get it airbourne. it was nice and calm until that point, then alitebreeze hit it and i broke the ball end off the main rotor hub. it drifts left like you describe, and that is the hardest part. i actually ordered and keep on hand quite a few replacement parts. crashes are going to happen, cant avoid them in this hobby, so i am prepared to replace things as needed. it is actually a very nice heli, and i cant wait to get it in the air. it is 22" long, so it is a very nice size. i have training gear for it, and they do help a lot.i can tell with "short hops" that the left drift lessens in theair and feel confident it will fly nicely,but have been too afraid to do much more than that after my first incident, andit would upset my girlfriend if i broke it before christmas day... so i told her to wrap it before i get itchy again, lol.
yeah, if you have already flown a co-axial, i understand your not wanting to go back. the one i ordered is almost as big as my honeybee, and for me, i mainly need to focus on direction and orientation to get use to the tail in and tail out effect in flight for now. got to be able to get it in the air to do that, so i figured the big lama was the perfect co-ax for me to do that with.
yeah there are so many to choose from and it gets overwhelming trying to figure out which one? i already had the honeybee, so i chose one that i could share batteries back and forth between, since i have spares of them as well, and the lama looked great in flight in the video.
ill keep ya posted once i get in the air with the honeybee. i just gotta get past the fear factor with liftoff, but feel confidentthat it wont take long.
happy flying!