Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 In need of advice on heli... >

In need of advice on heli...

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

In need of advice on heli...

Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of advice on heli...

Hey guys,
Iam in need of some knowledgable help. My name is Perry and I have been off and on in RC airplanes for some 5 years. I have owned a Hobbico Hobbystar .46, Soarstar electric, and currently own a Flyzone Switch. I am proficient in both high and low wing configuration. I was thinking about getting into the Heli side of things. I also have Realflight 5.5 that Ifly when Icant go out and do the real thing. I understand the layout of an RC controller both as an airplane and Heli. I can pretty much fly any Heli on Realflight, I am having issues with anything above 10 mph winds. With that being said, Iam looking for a first good Heli. I understand that you just dont go out and purchase the biggest, most badass Heli you can afford. I would like something that holds my interest, but isn't too "over the top". Ihave experance in RC, however, not in Helis. What would you guys recommend for me?? Right now Iam considering the Heli-Max 400 3D. It also has a 6 channel radio that Iam looking for my aircraft as well. My other option was to get a DX6i and go from there. Any help would be greatly apprciated! Where else could Igo to learn more about Helis?? Any other good websites?? My budget is between 3-5 hundred, either gas or electric. Thanks for your help guys!
Perry
Old 12-20-2011, 06:20 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: In need of advice on heli...

5 hundred isn't going to get you a turn key nitro setup especially if you're including a radio on that budget.

I wouldn't get less than a DX6i and if you want nitro eventually you're going to want 7 channels.

As for not starting out with hot setup, thats up to you and your budget. Unlike a P-51 that can't be setup to fly like a trainer, a good helicopter can be tuned to fly for beginners through fire breathing 3D based on control system setup choices, radio programming, paddle weights etc.

Remember a few things.
Bigger is more stable, easier to see and easier to fly and more tollerent to flying outdoors and in wind. It's also more expensive.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Barracuda, what would you recommend??

Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 AM

My first heli was a 450 clone (EXI v2 se) and I like it.  Its just once I bought a 500 clone I wish I had started out with that instead.

Dont get me wrong...I love the 450...but its like a hummingbird on crack!  The 500 is larger and did not cost much more to build and I am more confident in it.

If I knew then what I know now...I would have started out with the 500 for my first CP heli.  I still think everyone that is really interested in flying helis start out with a Blade mSR.  The little mSR can and will teach you a LOT about general heli flying.  The co-axial helis really are a waste unless all you ever plan to do is fly around your living room.

Here is the 500 I have...

http://www.xheli.com/exi500.html

I MIGHT have 300 bucks in it RTF (considering I already owned a DX7 TX).  So "bang for the buck"...cant get much better!

Just my .02's</p>