Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Helicopter for 92 year old

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Helicopter for 92 year old

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
deckofficer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter for 92 year old

I'm looking for recommendations for an indoor beginner's helicopter that a 92 year old can control. I'm thinking that since precisionaccelerometers have dropped so much in price, that an easy control system can be designed employing that technology making tail rotor control automatic unless over ridden by operator.

Can anyone tell me what is out there that won't frustrate a 92 year old.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
deckofficer

Default RE: Helicopter for 92 year old

I should have mentioned the 92 year old is my dad, not me. But for me to use it, would be nice if it has a payload that could handle a GoPro camera and case.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:52 PM
scasari

Hi, are you looking for like a toy or a name brand heli? If you want a name brand heli that can handle a camera, I would recomend the blade mcx2 or cx2.They are very durible so they would be ideal for a beginner learning to fly.When you buy a (toy) off brand heli, (like the size of the cx2) it can get alot harder to fly due to old technology and parts are harder to get. GOOD LUCK- Sean BTW I find the mcx2 and cx2 very easy to fly but I am not sure if a 92 year old would also, If you buy a offbrand heli, make sure it is either 2.4 ghz or 72 mhz . If it uses the infared controller there isnt much point in putting a camera on it.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
deckofficer

Thanks scasari 

I'll search out those models. I don't think one that would be suitable for me for outdoor, payload/camera flight would work for pop indoors. I would think the indoor model would be cheaper and that would be handy for me to improve my skill set.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
deckofficer

Any input on this one? A camera and in the $150 range.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
scasari

Well, I wouldent really recomend that model because i bought a simmilar heli (for my grandfather) and it is not easy to fly! It does not have a camera but it compares very well.The problem is on the tail it has a motor to control all the movements other than up and down!I can tell you It wont work very well because it has no servos, and for a helicopter that size It needs them very badly.Another heli i will recomend is the esky lama v4 I think it is perfect for what you need and you can also by a cheap camera! You can find it all on http://www.raidentech.com/eskyheli-e...mav4-blue.html I hope you find what youre looking for! If you do go with the one digi scout I know where you can get a simmilar heli (minus the camera) for 50 bucks! Let me know-Sean
Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
scasari

The lama also has a 2.4 ghz radio and it is Much better than the other! A camera will be around 35 bucks so I think you can get ALOT better heli for around the same price! HEres the link to the camera Its out of stock now but you can either wait or this website has alot of other nice cameras http://www.raidentech.com/86p-988-dice-minicam.html Another good choice for heli (just realized other was out of stock) http://www.raidentech.com/50h33-warh...oliceblue.html
Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
deckofficer

Thanks for your reply. The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards the ipad controlled quad fan device. It appears to be the easiest to learn to fly and their latest offering in June 2012 looks to have the most technology employed and might be a winner for pop and I.
The AR drone 2.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNtE6LMD2o[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNtE6LMD2o[/youtube]
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
scasari

YEAAAAA that is a good choice I have seen them fly and they are very self corrective! It might not teach you the basics of flying rc helis but it`s still very fun!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
deckofficer

That is quite OK about not learning. I'm one of those people that need tactical feedback, i.e. being in the plane. My models and my neighbors in my old neighborhood tend to be full scale.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:56 PM
deckofficer

Whoops, sorry about that, didn't know this forum doesn't scale the pictures.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
scasari

Nice plane !! that looks very fun and I hope you have fun with the ar drone! I think I might get one to because the new version made alot of improvements!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
deckofficer

Yep, I'm waiting for the new version also. Thanks for all your help scasari , hope to hook up with you more on the forum when we both are sporting the new model.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 AM
denodan

I have the first version of AR Drone, and fly very nice indeed. You can use them outside also, whereas those small Coaxal helicopters are only really good for indoors and no good outdoors unless there is no wind at all.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
deckofficer

Thanks denodan  for chiming in on this. I think version 2 will be the easiest for a 92 year old to learn on, and from what I read on AR Drone forum, the little guy has enough payload to lift my GoPro, so I'll have some fun with it also.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 PM
scasari

I was wondering, Why put a camera on it when you can already record right from the drones camera?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM
deckofficer

Is the drone's camera 1080P HD with stereo? If I choose to try and pace some cars on our slower two lane mountain roads, I'd want stereo and HD for realism during the sharing of the playback.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 PM
denodan

Version 2 meant to do 1080i, but no sound. Some people do mount extra cameras on the first version to give high def, and sound. The Drone is great, can use with ipod/iphone/ ipad.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 PM
deckofficer

I have both an iphone and ipad. For the larger screen size, I would think my ipad would be the preferred control device.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
denodan

I found the ipod better to use, the ipad seems much more sluggish.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 PM
deckofficer

ORIGINAL: denodan

I found the ipod better to use, the ipad seems much more sluggish.
Thanks, that is good to know, but I'm not sure my iphone will work, it was one of the first ever made and doesn't have the features of the newer ones. Because I have built and owned electric vehicles, I tend to take good care of lithium batteries.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM
mewantfly

I just bought my 84 yr old dad a Blade Scout. I also have one . They are a blast and easy to use. 50 bucks from Horizon. You can't go wrong
Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
ahr43

ORIGINAL: deckofficer

I'm looking for recommendations for an indoor beginner's helicopter that a 92 year old can control. I'm thinking that since precision accelerometers have dropped so much in price, that an easy control system can be designed employing that technology making tail rotor control automatic unless over ridden by operator.

Can anyone tell me what is out there that won't frustrate a 92 year old.

Thanks
I think its great you think enough of your dad to get him a helicopter at 92.

I just bought my first helicopter - a quad actually. 1SQ HeliMax. I got it from my LHS after watching him demonstrate it to another customer. Never flow any rc model, and have always wanted something rotary wing. Figured a quad is something - at 69y.o. - that I can handle with too much adult supervision. Of course, it won't handle a payload of any sort, but it meets your criteria of being easy to learn? I think?

Arnie