Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New to site and Helis

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to site and Helis

ORIGINAL: Goggles

Its not until you learn to fly circuits and start flipping it around will you notice the tail blow out
That's the problem I have with mine, as soon as I get aggressive with it the tail flips around. So how do you fix this?
A lot of people are using the 120SR tail motor and rotor. I havent done this...but I can see how it would improve the tail blowout issue as its a larger motor that can handle the input/output of the gyro.

What happens when tail blowout is encountered is the motor is under powered and it cant turn enough rpms to produce enough thrust of the rotor to stabilize the tail. So, in theory...a larger motor should compensate for this condition. Either that...or learn to not "bang" the sticks real hard.

Also, this effect is multiplied when flying in the wind. When I fly in 10-15mph winds...sometimes my rudder doesnt even seem like its working when going up wind. It will barely keep the tail in its last position and you can hear it "whirrring" hard the whole way!

I think WOWHobbies (cant believe I am plugging them after my last experience) carries an aftermartket boom with the 120SR motor/rotor already installed. Im sure you can probably find another source for this part if you Google enough and have a bad taste in your mouth from dealing with WoW hobbies in the past like I do.

Goodluck.

Also...just for the record as I have given the advice for Clear View multiple times here. I still stand behind it. While it is pretty much a "get what you pay for" world we live in...I find that CV is a great value at 40 bucks. While other more expensive SIMS probably DO have better graphics(CVisnt bad at all IMOthough) and more importantly better physics. It WILL teach you orientation. And for anyone brand new learning to fly CP helis...this is the ticket. Plus...the guy got the mCPXmodel pretty down pat. At least on my version the mCPXflies a LOT like the real thing...even down to if you "bang" the collective the tail will blow out. even if you punch it off the ground the tail will blowout. Granted, you wont be able to learn to 3D on Clear View (at least that is my opinion)...you CAN and WILL learn to fly on it. Thus saving you at least 100 bucks to put into more batteries or spare parts for the mCPX. Once you can fly in all orientations and nice circuits in Fast Forward Flight, its time to move onto a 450 or 500(I vote 500 for the same reasons already posted here in the thread) and THEN you can upgrade your SIM to something better with better physics. Because at this point, the only thing you will use the SIM for is learning 3D manuvers. And this is where the actual real life physics will become more valuable.

But, to each his own. More ways to skin a cat and everyone should know their hobby budgets and spend accordingly. At the end of the day you are flying, being SAFE and having fun...is all that matters.

Sorry for my absense. Ive been really busy with other things...and most of my online time has been being spent reading a lot on hopping up a Stryker to 150+MPH. Ive got the need for speed! lol
Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
bigpapa1272

Much to the agreence with krash......you guys have been a big help.......wish i could tell you about tail blowout on the nano but i havent been near as hard on it as a 3d pilot would be......i am a real flight sim guy also although i have never flown any of the birds in real life so i have nothing to compare it to.....anyway i got some more stick time and with 30% expo......much more easier to handle and i have become well attached to the throttle hold switch.....lol...
Anyway thanks for the help with the expo and all......keep them in the air!!!!!......later.....bp
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM
ATVAlliance

I havent flown the Nano, and only recently just saw it and done some reading on it.

It appears that some people are saying that they think eFlight got it "right" on this one and that the tail blowout issue, well...is a "non issue".  So, based on that...I dont think you will need to worry about tail blow out on the nano.

I was eyeballing the 130cp the other day at the LHS.  Its a tad bigger than the mCPX and already has brushless motor...plus its a torque tube tail direct drive (no tail motor).  However, this nano might be an even better buy since its cheaper and is getting RAVE reviews!

Listen to me...I already own 9 helicopters and talking about buying another one!  I have 2 Align 250's and a CX 250 that Im not even flying...I love the mCPX so much!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
KRASHKOPTER
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't really had any issues with the tail yet...other than a lil waggle once in awhile, which, at this stage of the game, isn't going to affect my basic training.
I do, however, have a couple of lengths of carbon rod that I bought to make my own tail mod. I have been reading about the *upgraded* tail boom, motor and rotor and am ready to do it, when it's time.
The rod is for the stock tail (2mm) so I would have to build up the end for the motor mount...no biggie.
Like I said, when I get to the point where I'm noticing issues with blowout, I will do the fix.
For the Nano, I was interested in it too before I got the MCPX, but the lhs didn't have any at the time so I got what I got.
Meanwhile, back at the airfield (my driveway lol) I was this . close to trying the half flip but the wind was just a tad high for me to be comfortable. Maybe this evening when the pre-dusk lull hits...hmmmm we'll see how it pans out.....spare parts ready?...check!! lmao

Lates,

K
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
bigpapa1272

Yeah atv i dont think you wip be dissapointed with the nano.....i am a cp beginner and i just hit the throttle hold when it gets out of my comfort zone and orientation is lost....(which is alot.....lol!!!)........i have been talking to a guy who just moved to my area who said he will help me get lined out and all so that will help alot....the expo has helped alot krash thanks for the advice.....i am at 30% amd it seems controllable now.....as i get better i will take it back down to 10% like original setup....but in stages....talk at yall latet....bp
Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: KRASHKOPTER

I haven't really had any issues with the tail yet...other than a lil waggle once in awhile, which, at this stage of the game, isn't going to affect my basic training.
I do, however, have a couple of lengths of carbon rod that I bought to make my own tail mod. I have been reading about the *upgraded* tail boom, motor and rotor and am ready to do it, when it's time.
The rod is for the stock tail (2mm) so I would have to build up the end for the motor mount...no biggie.
Like I said, when I get to the point where I'm noticing issues with blowout, I will do the fix.
For the Nano, I was interested in it too before I got the MCPX, but the lhs didn't have any at the time so I got what I got.
Meanwhile, back at the airfield (my driveway lol) I was this . close to trying the half flip but the wind was just a tad high for me to be comfortable. Maybe this evening when the pre-dusk lull hits...hmmmm we'll see how it pans out.....spare parts ready?...check!! lmao

Lates,

K
You wont need to upgrade your tail motor until you get into flipping or aggressive FFFflight. I still am flying the stock motor/tail and I can live with it and it really doesnt cause too much trouble till the wind gets up over 10MPH and/or I start flipping it upside down. Or doing loops or rolls. And IFI am careful enough with smooth stick operation I can get it to hold. It gets progressively worse the weaker the battery gets.

Once you start attempting flips...this is when you are most likely to break a tail boom. I never broke a boom until I started flipping. If you crash tail first...it will most likely break every time unless you get the boom support kit. I havent broken a boom since installing mine. I got it from WoW hobbies and it basically looks like the boom supports on a Trex heli. It was dirt cheap too!

Sounds like you are progressing. I'll have to remember to check your video out when Im at home. No video at work for me. lol

ORIGINAL: bigpapa1272

Yeah atv i dont think you wip be dissapointed with the nano.....i am a cp beginner and i just hit the throttle hold when it gets out of my comfort zone and orientation is lost....(which is alot.....lol!!!)........i have been talking to a guy who just moved to my area who said he will help me get lined out and all so that will help alot....the expo has helped alot krash thanks for the advice.....i am at 30% amd it seems controllable now.....as i get better i will take it back down to 10% like original setup....but in stages....talk at yall latet....bp
I still fly mine with 30% expo. I like the softness around center stick that 30% gives. If at any time you feel the sticks are too "mushy"...you can decrease your expo amount. If that never happens...not a thing wrong at all with keeping it at 30%.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM
bigpapa1272

Yeah i hear ya there atv.....it definitely helps to keep from getting out of control to fast.....did some more flying today before work.....getting better at hovering although i cant do major circuits yet i will allow it to kind of drift off and bring it back to me......loving this little wonder and cant wait to get better at this so i can transition to a bigger bird......i am seriously excited about the new sab goblin that i have been seeing....that is an insane heli.....if ya havent been on youtube to see them yet guys yall need to check them out....they are coming out with a 500 by end of year is the report and bert kammerer flys it on youtube as a demo.....it is crazy mad for the size it is.....very fast......but that is down the line.....for now my little yellow beauty will do just fine.....bp
Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 PM
KRASHKOPTER

Progress report....have only used about 3 packs of flying as I am really into the flight sim.
I have been working on the *muscle memory* thing with it and I seem to be doing ok. I found some documents in a post for the IRCHA heli training course and am going to run through it lesson by lesson
This will give me some targets to work towards....I like it.
I will follow the system according to the courseandpractice on the sim for a bit then take the bird out and attempt to do the same....am really quite excited about having something to do with the winter rain and cold coming.
I haven't made any more vids yet (my first one sucked bad anyways..lol) but that will come when it's due.
Still researching things on the web and the Tube also...finding and marking a lot of places for future references (ie:fixes, tx programming, tips, etc)
All the comments I have received since I first posted have been extremely helpful and makes for a great foundation to start me on my way to getting a handle on this rc heli world and I thank you all for your assistance.
On a different topic I would like to comment on how much I have put into this already, not to scare any newcomers to the hobby off, but to give them an idea of what to normally expect to put out. And this is just for the lil
beginner guy, MCPX, not one of the bigger, more powerful machines.
I got a decent 7-ch radio for $300...could have gone for an 8 but was another $100 or so but with 7 it is somewhat ready for future upgrade in helis.
The lil guy ws$180....7 batteries(how many is ultimately up to you) some spare parts (blade set,featheringspindle,tail boom, carbon rod, main gear)
I also got a better charger that'sgood for the future too (1s to 6s charging capabilities and AC.DC) Case to carry it all. tools (I already had as you probably will too) and of course the Phoenix Sim.
All in all, I spent approx $800.00, which to me, after looking at what I have, is not too bad. But, if you had thoughtabout getting something like a 450/500as a beginner, Ithink you could easilydouble that number.
I know I didn't have to get all that I did, but I amserious aboutdoing this hobby and I thought alittle bit about thefuture with some of the items I ended up with. Of course, I wanted a big heliat first, but thissite and you people
made me thinkmore sensibly about how tobegin.Ok...enuff of this...feel free to criticize or comment on the money figures I came up with but it works for me.
Heya Goggles...looks like the weather has turned against us this weekend....we will have to see how tomorrow will turn out. Maybe in the morn, if you have your rebuild done and it is nice out, you can drop me a line
as to whether or not you are going.

Latah,

KRASH
Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 AM
ATVAlliance

Doesnt take long for this hobby to eat up dollar bills. LOL.

But, everything you bought will be used for years to come. So, those items are "investments", the way that I look at it.

Your mCPX (when you finally learn to fly circuits) will be worth its weight in gold to you!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM
KRASHKOPTER

Well, another day another krash...lol
I broke my first tail boom and I couldn't be happier about it....reason being, I was practicising my flips on the front yard grass. Yep, finally got the nerve up to transfer what I got from the sim to the bird. Believe it or not, I actually did a backflip to a nose-in inverted and then a front flip back to
upright tail-in....but, in all honesty, it was totally outta control and upon doing the front flip back to normal, it slid sideways into the shrubs and down onto the tail, splintering it. But I was smiling as I picked up the lil monster cause I could see that it was possible after all....lmao
I already had purchased some carbon rod but I also had a complete tail boom with motor so I decided to put it on. Took only 10 minutes and I was up and running again.It appears that the new tail is the upgraded longer boom so I have yet to see the difference. Either way, I was having a
blast and if I had been able to combat the winds gusts, I would have tried it again right away. Also, my height is restricted because of trees in my yard so I was not able to go high enuff to try and recover the heli before the tail strike.
Today, Iam going to prepare some of the carbon rod and make up a new boom with the motor and wiring of the broken one so I have a spare....I will prolly use the extended length as it seems to be an improvement according to web research. Was wondering about the 120 SR motor...should I use that instead?? Do I really need to or is the stock one ok?
Oh yeah, I also cracked up my green canopy but was able to somewhat mend it back together...it's in the paint shop now...hahaha
Dats it dats all for today...happy flying all!!

K
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM
ATVAlliance

Go with the 120SR tail motor AND rotor.

I hear it makes a huge improvement.

Since you have enough rod for 2 I assume.  Done waste anything.  Id make a boom with the stock motor as well as a boom with the 120SR motor and rotor.  Then you will have a spare for your spare!  lol

See, told ya you wouldnt have to worry about the boom till you started flipping the thing.  Thats when I broke mine too in almost an identical manner.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
bigpapa1272

Well guys today was my first day off since i got my nano.....took it to the field by my church.....plenty of room and a breeze made for great but challenging flying....here are my impressions so far.
1. The little guy is good in a breeze but wants to dive in forward flight some if a gust hits....i suppose this is due to the size.
2. The tail holds good in forward and when flipping.....(yesss!!!!! i got up the nerve to flip...........did a couple up high and recovered all but two which hit ground).
3. She has developed a wobble when slight decent is going on....if collective is applied it stops.....any ideas on this would be helpful from you guys who have dealt with this with mcpx.....probably same thing.
4. Blades out of track.....if yall could help with this i would appreciate it.....not enough to stop flying but could be part of problem in wobble..
All in all got about 18 or so flight and loved it the whole time.....circuits are fun and it is quick.....i am HOOKED!!!!......now i just need to complete my hk450gt and get it airborne.....i have the heli bug now and ready to get my collection started.....lol......but the nano is worth the money......bp
P.S. after about 30+ crashes.....i broke landing skid.....part of canopy.....and lost rear stabilizing but it doesn't seem to effect flight....cheap parts and not a sweat.....later guys....bp
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 AM
ATVAlliance

Like I said...I dont own a nano or have flown one. But, you should check your main gear. The mCPX will "wobble" as you say when there is slop of the gear on the shaft. What Imean by this is can you pull your main shaft up and down? When doing this you will see your blade grip pitch change.

The main gear is just a pressure fit on the main shaft. I think its designed this way so when you crash you dont break it. Simply hold your blade grips and slide the gear up the shaft till there is no "slop" in the shaft.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM
bigpapa1272

yeah atv i checked that....there is a pressure sleeve atop the bearing just below the head...(sorry i havent learned all the terms yet for the different bearings and all....[&o].....such a noob in that area)....but i have seen it slide up and had to be pushed back down.....thats not it cause i checked it....the blades are out of track could that be it?.....also i dont know how to adjust the track of the blades seeing how the links are not adjustable from the blade arms...they are a solid black piece....maybe the blades are bent....they sure do take a beating though thats for sure........any thoughts????
later.....bp
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Hah yeah I was thinking the exact same thing as ATV before I got down to his post, check that main gear. It can cause all sorts of weird behavior if it slides down even a little. It was common for the mCPx ones to crack and rotate off of the keyed section of the shaft, not sure if that's still an issue but you'll want to make sure the flats line up to keep everything aligned. If it is cracked don't worry about it, it'll still work fine, just check it after every crash.

Diving in gusts is weird behavior for a helicopter, it should balloon up when a gust hits it as long as you don't have negative collective. The gust across the blades generates additional lift the same way increased airspeed does.

K, keep it up man! You have a great attitude, I'm really happy to see you continuing to push forward and enjoy it Keep pushing yourself just outside of your comfort zone and you'll keep improving quickly.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM
KRASHKOPTER

Good to see you advancing BP...hope ya get your prob figured out. And thanks Takeshi n ATV for the help and boosting...lol
Speaking of probs, Ihave an issue with a wire that came disconnected but I'll get to that shortly.
I had a small buying spree today and picked up a MH swash (as suggested for a useful upgrade) and I also grabbed the MH blade grips as they caught my eye...Iknow...just bling but hey....then I snagged two pair of KBDD blades...some nice
color popping green ones and a blue set. Much easier to spot in the air and against the trees n shrubs in my yard. My yard...that appears to be my biggest foe at present. I guess I am used to seeing all the Utube vids of people in their back yards
and in reality, I should be in a freaking large field with no obstacles whatsoever...lmao. Hmmmm...maybe Goggles can help in that department ;-)
Now back to the prob, partly because of my yard and partly because I should have refamiliarized myself on the sim before I went out to test fly. What happened was Iattempted a back flip again to try and hover inverted and I basically lost my bearings.
I did the flip successfully and was in an inverted nose-in hover for approx 5 seconds. I had the forward and back stick movements down but because Ichose to forego the sim practice, I messed up when it started to drift to the left. Of course, Iovercorrected
and ended up in a big spiral around to my left and WHAM...hit my house....lol....you know what the first thing I did was don't you....yep...I quickly looked around to see if anyone saw me...ahahaha human nature huh?
Anyways, the damage report...landing gear was popped off and battery holder cracked...fixable....main gear, of course, had to be pushed up.....waaaaaay up....heh. And then I noticed the canopy...I had broken off the two lower canopy supports...again...fixable.
Ok, put everything together to just test out controls and response, etc and noticed that the servos were not going all the way down when I used collective for negative pitch. Had no idea what would do that so I looked closely at the bird and found a copper
wire that was wrapped around the left lower canopy support had become disconnected from somewhere. Here is a couple of pics...question is...where the heck did it connect to?? And is this the reason I have lost lower movement of the servos??
Thanks in advance.

K
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31969.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1807653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74113.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1807654  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM
KRASHKOPTER

Alrighty then...it appears I have found the problem with the help of Utube and my LHS. The copper wire I was concerned about is nothing but an antenae and it does not connect anywhere...it just wraps around the support...so all is good with that.
As for the servos not working...well, they do....it was an oversight on my part and is only because the bird was stationary with T-hold on and I-up. It was explained to me that this is normal and when I fired it up and flew it....there was no issue at all.
Ahhh the learning process....ain't it a wonderful thang?!!!
Back to sim training....latah

K

ps. Goggles....how does this weekend look? Sunday I will be busy with the Vancouver Toy Run motorcycle ride and will be busy till around noonish but after that I'm good and Saturday looks good too...lemme know when/if ya can. How are the repairs coming on
your 700?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 PM
bigpapa1272

Hey everybody.......been awhile since i had a chance to get back on.......work is awful time consuming and i had a booboo at home the other day while i was outside the house flying......it involved pilot error and the front concrete steps of my house and my dx6i not remaining in hands.....apparently the nano is crash proof but radio wasn't.........major bummer and set back......but will prevail.....i am looking hard at the dx8 or 7 but not sure which one......seems they both have their negative reviews......i like the 6 but i worry about when i want to move up to larger helis......500class hopfully....seems to be everyones fave for cost to crash ratio.....and stability.......any thoughts from the group would be appreciated.....later.....bp
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 PM
TakeshiSkunk

I use my DX6i with my FBL Trex500ESP and it's fine. The only issue is that you need to run 3GX through a full receiver due to how it handles channels, and it can be a little annoying to set up. A radio with more channels can just use a satellite receiver on the flybarless unit and work fine.

If you're looking into more expensive radios (than the DX6i, that is) I would go with a JR 9503. When I do decide to move up I'll be getting one of those for myself.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

+1 on JR. I've had JR for the last 20 years and would not/will not buy another brand of radio. I just love how it feels in my hands.

My personal opinion.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 PM
KRASHKOPTER

Yo peeps....been awhile since last post so I thought I'd update a bit. Been doing lots of sim, then take a break, then sim some more....I am doing quite well with it and after a couple of days, I will take my lil guy out to the front yard and try to duplicate what I did in the sim.
It appears to be working as I am a lot more confident with the real bird. I still would prefer to have a larger area to really let go but for now it will do.
I was lucky to have a sorta funfly day with my bro-in-law (and both our wives) and he brought his electric 500 and then the bigger 600N and also his huge 700N...wow...first time for me in person seeing these monsters. But me and my lil MCPX did not feel threatened...lmao.
Goggles tried to hook me up (buddy-box) for his 500 but probs came up....no biggie, I was in no hurry to try these big guys just yet. I was very happy to just watch and learn and ask questions. I managed a flight or two on my heli but was not upset in the least cause I was really
into the larger machines for sure. Had a great day in all and look forward to more in the future....ps...I will try to remember to get my dang passport so I can check out your US flying field.
Anywho, I am progressing at a resonable pace and will be trying to find a local field to get more *real* practice. I don't want to get too attached to the sim as it is not really that realistic, even with random wind and thermals n stuff....nothing beats actual models flying.
I have only done two upgrades and they both work fine....the longer tail boom and the MH cnc swash. I also put on the new green canopy and the green KBDD blades...looks.....green!! Here is a pic of the green uniform and the stock red with blue KBDD blades....it still looks brand new and haven't really had any problems whatsoever with it.
I have also been doing so freakin much reading and watching vids, etc, that I am already looking around at classifieds and shops for a decent 500 flybarless machine for my next step. There is no rush at all but there are some nice deals out there and with Christmas coming up,
I don't know if I want motorcycle bling or flying stuff...lmao.
I did, at one time, consider even going for the Blade 450x....it seemed to have good reviews and although most of you suggested the bigger 500 or 600, it made me do some more reading and vid watching...lol Whatever I decide, it won't be for a while so it is not an issue.
Hey BP, did you get a radio yet? My DX7s is doing a fine job, the only thing I wish it had was a backlight. I know there are kits out there but apparently it will void the warranty so I will just deal with it. If I had more money to spend when I got all this stuff at one time, I would have
liked to have gotten the DX8 or a better one like a JR product....again, I may do that at a later date....good luck with your decision.
Latah pilots...happy flying!

K

Name:	Vs55581.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1813141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64537.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1813142  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM
ATVAlliance

Glad you are making progress.  And you are right...the SIM will get your thumbs the muscle memory that they need to make you successful, but it doesnt totally compare to flying the real thing.

If you want a 500 and want to go it on the cheap...you could do like I did and build a clone.  I bought the EXI 500 and I love it!  Granted, as it sits right now...it has a few Align parts on it...but it doesnt fly any better than it did with the EXI parts.

What I replaced (because of a failed cyclic servo causing me a crash) was as follows...

Align Head (bought used from a rcgroups member on the cheap, used for 50 bucks.  Only because it was cheap)
Gorilla skids
Align Tail boom
Align Main Gear (you should replace this on the EXI as the EXI stock main gear is really out of round...but i flew mine a while with it anyway)
El'Cheapo Carbon main blades (the EXI 500 doesnt come with mains...so I bought a couple of sets of CF ones...around 20 bucks or so a set)
Fusuno custom canopy (just because I wanted it to look nice...didnt really care for the FG canopy that came with the kit.  Quality was good...paint was a little rough)

Here is a link to the heli kit at xheli.com

http://www.xheli.com/exi-500-plastic...elicopter.html

After going to xheli, it looks as if the carbon fiber kit (one I bought) is out of stock, but the link above is an even cheaper deal and you could replace some of the parts as you see fit.  Or just wait for the CF one to get back in stock...probably after election to see how this "China" deal goes.

Anyway...you can get into a 500 class heli on the cheap...and EXI makes a really decent heli.  2 of mine are EXI's and I have had nothing but good success with them.  While I didnt really save a whole lot on my EXI 450 over the cost of an actual Align heli...the 500 made me feel as if I stole it!  lol

Anyway...glad to hear you are making progress.  This hobby sure is fun, isnt it?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
TakeshiSkunk

You're lucky you didn't get to fly the 500...if you had you'd already have shelled out for one yourself
Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM
slawek111

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM
KRASHKOPTER

Time for another update I figure…Well, I am still doing lots of sim practice while watching vids of different moves, etc….very helpful. I still am not bored with it but I needed something to do besides the sim and with the weather a lil cool and a bit wet, the Mcpx is not out much. I’m not good enough to fly in the house just yet…too confined for this noob…lol

<o></o>

What I did do was grab me a Blade quad (MQX) for messing around inside. I got it because of the sale price of $119 bnf.It’s a lot of fun and very easy to fly so cruising around in the house is a blast. I have already installed some led lights from an old mall chopper to help with the orientation…and I modded up a cheapo canopy from a Tupperware dish…don’t tell the wife ;-)<o></o>

Next, I done went and did it….couldn’t handle not having something…..a lil bigger…lmao.<o></o>

First off, let’s just say that I quit the cigs a couple of months ago and came up with a motivational idea to help me stay quit. If I can put away the $10.00/day (approx.) that I normally would use for the smokes, I can save quite easily and quickly. Yep, roughly $300 a month for a future heli, depending on how long I wait.<o></o>

Guess I already told you about my impatience in an earlier post huh? Well, it’s still there…lolI know most of you recommended that I go straight for a 550 or 600 for various reasons but I thought that maybe I should go thru the 450 stage…. just because.<o></o>

I didn’t just want to learn to operate a heli but also build them. So, I grabbed me a KDS 450C that was partially built and am currently going thru the whole bird to check for manufacture mistakes (Loctite, loose things, etc)<o></o>

I have lots of vids to help me (the Finless series) and even though it isn’t the same heli he is working on, I am finding out a lot of info and it is helping me to put this thing together and showing me what to look for, etc. Either way, it is a great fill-in between sim practice.<o></o>

I have put it all together and everything is working…now to get everything measured, lined up and figure out how to fine tune it before I attempt to put on the Flymentor system I already purchased. I will not be making any flights with it until I can either get my bro-in-law to look it over or I get it checked at the lhs. (the staff are very helpful) I estimate maybe summer 2013.<o></o>

I have a few questions regarding the placement of recievers and gyros and will be putting up some pics to show what I am asking. I will also get some pics of my whole fleet of helis since I started only about 4-5 months ago…lol<o></o>

Starting with the lil Syma 3ch…great coaxial...2.4gz Tx, lights on/off and 2 forward speeds controlled by buttons. Then I went with the Double Horse 9117 4ch FP...about 300 size, semi-programable 2.4gz Tx with backlit screen. This is the heli that made me think to get away from the 3ch helis and more into a bird that has the proper controller to teach me 6ch muscle memory. It flies ok but parts are not very realiable and don’t seem to last very long.<o></o>

Then of course I have the Mcpx and also the MQX. Waiting for some cruiser pod-style canopies for the Mcpx from Tippytoehttp://dragmarstudios.com/They should be here this week.<o></o>

Then we have the KDS 450C. It looks great and the price was right. Got three batteries in all and added some more tools. Digital pitch guage, ball link pliers, foam pads, zip-ties, etc.All in all I am having a great time. Last winter was boring as heck but lots to do this time around.<o></o>

As for the questions about the gyro and receivers, I would like to know if where I have them now is ok. You should be able to see the remote receiver for the ar8000 in the front of the heli. Is this spot ok?<o></o>

Also, when I install the Flymentor, I will be keeping the original kds800 gyro just for the tail and use the FM for everything else….is this ok?<o></o>

If it is, will I be able to mount the FM gyro underneath the *block* where the other gyro is or is that a no-no?Reason being there is not a lot of space to be had…lol<o></o>

<o></o>

Anyhoo, that’s all for now…happy flying!<o></o>

<o></o>

KRASH

Name:	Qo40817.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1831762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32220.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1831763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66788.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1831764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38027.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1831765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24322.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1831766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28453.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1831767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce69594.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1831768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az88229.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1831769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Az47106.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1831770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq76801.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1831771  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.