Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Which direction to go

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 PM
gtew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which direction to go

I have a few ques tions regarding where to head with helis. I have had several over the last few years (axe cx micro, proto max, proto mcx, blade sr, novus cp) my two cp type helis are in need off some rather minor repairs and are curently grounded. I am curious as to what people think would be the best way to go, fix the two and just keep trying to learn on them or possibly pick up a mcpx. I have not seen a lot of good things said for the sr or novus cp. Im curious if the mcpx is better to learn cp heli flight then fly the others after more practice to avoid costly crashes. It seems the mcpx is far more durable than the other two. Also could I use my sr Tx hp6dsm on a mcpx.
Thanks for any help
Old 10-20-2012, 04:19 PM
rob.rice

Default RE: Which direction to go

get a fixed pitch helicopter and NOT a coax
get a Xieda 9958 there about $30.00 some places so you can get 3 or 4 of these for the coast of an mcpx
just about every place on line sells them and parts for them
they are tough cheap to buy cheap to fix at 43 grams the just about can;t hurt any thing including you
get some blades , blades., blades and batteries
tape the tail fin on it tends to come off and the tail rotor tends to find hair so check it now and then

being the only helicopter I have kept in the air for 30 seconds I have nothing to compare it to
I can tell you it's nothing like a sim it can siprize you once you get used to the sim

get a fixed pitch that mcpx will be as hard to fly as the ones you keep crashing
as Iv'e been reading the smaller the harder with CP helicopters so that mcpx will most likely be harder to fly

I got a storm 450 and it's way too much for me to fly right now but after some time on the 9958 I flew my 450 for a full 30 seconds with out crashing
before that by best air time was 5 seconds

Old 10-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

I guess you need to answer your own question, "where to head with helis", where do you want to head with heli's? Do you just want to hover around the living room and maybe go outside of a calm day or do you want to get better to the point of doing some flips, rolls, loops, etc? If you want to keep hovering, buy a fixed pitch, if you want to advance then buy the mcpx. Flatten out your pitch curve around middle, add some expo and you'll have a pretty stable heli to start with and that you can keep learning on.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 AM
gtew

Good point on what i want. Ive had several fp and coax and do want to move forward in flying ability. Can I use my sr tx or do I need to get the rtf?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 AM
ATVAlliance

If you want to learn to fly a real RC heli (and I use the term "real" lightly here)...then go with an mcPX and a decent SIM.

I know you already have a small fleet of helis that I have never flown, outside of the mSR (great little FPheli BTW)...but IMO the mcpx cannot be beat as a great learning tool.

Its only drawbacks are it is underpowered(not a surprise as its a brushed motor) and it has some "tail blowout" issues when you jam the cyclic sticks too hard (nothing that a brand new person learning to fly should be doing anyway).

If your budget allows...it might even be better to go with the newer Blade 130x. This is a little bit larger airframe (think of the size of the 120 SR). This heli comes already with a brushless motor and a torque tube tail. the tail may be a little less "durable" than a tail motor like the mcpx is outfitted with...but I just witnessed a couple of these 130's fly over the weekend and one is now definitely in my future!

Once you get to the point you can fly around in cirles or full circuits...you will want to push the envelope more by doing flips and rolls and loops. While the mcpx can do all of these, it requires subtle stick movements, else the tail will "blow out". I dont think the 130X is as bad with this as the mcpx.

Lastly, all of the Blade helis are BNF(Bind and Fly) with only Spektrum/JR radios. So, in short...no, your TX wont work with any Blade Helis unless you have a Spektrum module for your radio.

goodluck.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Get a sim and an mcpx/nano cpx for now and once you feel confident go for a 500. There's really no better combination for learning, getting the fear and consequences reduced with the durability of the mcpx or nano will allow you to progress faster learning coordination and orientation. Once those are burned into muscle memory you can tackle the fear issues on their own with the 500.

Drill things on the sim until you can successfully do them 80% of the time and bail out without crashing the rest of the time. You want to keep drilling each maneuver in the sim until there's nothing left to surprise you. Attempt something enough times and you'll see every way it can go wrong for you (generally you'll notice patterns in failed attempts) and you'll know what to do to bring the heli back to a hover or at least keep it away from yourself and the ground. Sim the without question the best time and money you can spend on this hobby.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
rob.rice

ORIGINAL: Goggles

I guess you need to answer your own question, "where to head with helis", where do you want to head with heli's? Do you just want to hover around the living room and maybe go outside of a calm day or do you want to get better to the point of doing some flips, rolls, loops, etc? If you want to keep hovering, buy a fixed pitch, if you want to advance then buy the mcpx. Flatten out your pitch curve around middle, add some expo and you'll have a pretty stable heli to start with and that you can keep learning on.
he al ready has 2 CP models
he is also getting kind of frustrated from crashing the CP models
I can say that flying a FP has made a deference in my handling of my CP helicopter
I no longer bend a main shaft feathering shaft and strip a main gear every time I crash now
now I scrape main blades on the ground and break landing struts pluss I fly a lot longer before crashing
(dropping the helicopter because I panic about my control is still a crash regardless of whether I do damage or not )
the way I read his original post he is asking for a cheaper way to learn to fly rc helicopters than
rebuilding his models after 3 or 4 seconds of flight

for any given damage the GW 9956 will coast 1/4 as much to fix as a mcpx
95% of the crashes the GW9958 beaks the a main blade at a coast of $0.50 per crash ( $1.00 for a pair of main blades+ shipping)
yes he will get board with the GW 9958 then it will be time to move on to what he already has 2 CP models
and give the GW 9958 away

BTW
when was the last time you saw anyone do 3D flying INDOORS ?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 AM
TakeshiSkunk

I've never broken a blade on an mcpx. My mcpx has crashed countless times and all I've ever broken were skids (and I never even broke them enough that a bit of electrical tape couldn't fix them) and after a lot of thrashing the tail boom (a cheap and easy DIY repair) and the cockpit mounts on the frame (which you can reinforce with leftover material for a DIY boom if you like). As I understand it the Nano is even more robust. Sure your repairs may be cheaper on the 9958, but the whole reason we're constantly recommending the mcpx is because you can crash it over and over and over and not have to repair it at all.

If you have aspirations of flying CP there's no reason at all to buy an FP, especially since you can set a radio profile to turn a CP into a fixed pitch helicopter.

Also, there are plenty of videos of people flying 3D inside their houses. That's irrelevant anyway since there's an awful lot to learn about CPs before you get anywhere near 3D, and a great deal of it can be easily accomplished indoors if necessary.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 AM
diy-pro

.<pre style="line-height: 17px; white-space: normal; color: rgb(42, 42, 42); font-size: 13px; ">
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087058436...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087060641...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087063695...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087067925...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087071975...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087054041...84.m1555.l2649</pre>
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

BTW
when was the last time you saw anyone do 3D flying INDOORS ?
[link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThoFf9MXciw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThoFf9MXciw[/link]
Old 10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
rob.rice

I did't say it can't be done
I would bet my 450 that he didn't learn to do that in a house like he is doing
I've seen other videos of in door 3D flying
BUT
other than videos on the net have you ever seen it done first hand in real life ?

Do Not be so quick to look down your nose at cheap micro FP models
there is alot a bigenner can learn from flying a cheap micro FP
like how to handle suprize air currents how to fly curcuts
for a bigenner that first circle in a 15'x15' room IS a big deal no matter the coast of the model
just last night I did my first figure 8 in a 4'x8'x8' space flying at about 5 to 7 mph with out crashing
I was so damned pleased with my self
it made all the work on the sim all the work fixing the model and all the money worth it

I've done it a bunch of times on the sim but not with a real model flying in unknown air currents