Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Which model of rc heilcopter is suitable for beginners?

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Which model of rc heilcopter is suitable for beginners?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM
jackeylewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model of rc heilcopter is suitable for beginners?

I am a beginner in rc helicopter, and want to get some information about which rc heilcopter is suitable for beginners.

and as a beginner, is there any matters need attention?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Doggydogg

Default RE: Which model of rc heilcopter is suitable for beginners?

Hi mate I'm only new here myself I started 5 years ago and bought a honeybee , It was vertually in flyable and I was so frustrated !
I thought it was me but as a beginner I didn't realise that ready to fly didn't really mean that as I found out when I totalled it and bought a lama v3 , after several battery's trying to trim it with no luck I had wrecked a few sets of blades and it sat for five years until six weeks ago I bought a heliguy atom co axle it's from heliguy.com 4 channel and minimal trimming needed for hands off hover ! So i could concentrate on fling and using the sticks after a week I was bored of it lol I only broke one fly bar ! I was hovering nose in and doing all sorts of tricks taking it to the limit , so I looked at the lama thread on here and learned to adjust the 4in1 and bought the xtreme kit ! Because of the practice with the atom I've been flying outside for weeks now with only slight breeze and doing circuits around my back yard & adjoining feild , you really gotta feel the feeling after all the frustration and now I can fly ! Properly lol only one crash and pure enjoyment my freind had his blade 120sr around today and after seeing me flying he gave me a go and I can't beleive it I can fly ! I haven't enjoyed myself so much in my life as I have the last 6 weeks
my opinion go for the atom at £40 moove to a lama v3 or blade cx3 coaxle then fp this will get you indoor stick time with no worrys on the cheap then outdoors with a bigger co axle and god mate outdoors is soooo good then go fp hope you get flying soon
rob
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Doggydogg

Oh sorry I forgot to say ! I just seen your location and the heliguy atom is called the xieda 9988 over your neck of the woods mate its cheap and I I reckon the only spares you will need is a fly bar and you get spare blades with it but grab 3 or 4 battery's you will need them beleive me !
This may look like a toy helicopter but its 4 channel and packs a great punch for a beginner looking for stable indoor stick time , after a while your brain mooved the sticks for you and you don't think about it and just watch the heli and enjoy every flight untill u simply get bored your so confidant then you will be able to take a lama v3 or 4 or equivelent outdoors confidently as your brain knows the sticks inside out !
Enjoy mate ! I'm loving my hobby
i just need to know what to buy as a fp for myself now ! In only 6 weeks
im so happy
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Doggydogg

Here is the link to the xieda 9988 mate if you shop around you can get it for around $40 it learned me to fly in a week enough that I could take the lama outside flying and 6 weeks all in and I'm wanting a fp and I'm confident after flying my mates today that I'm ready
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150993097342?redirect=mobile
Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM
jackeylewis

Hi, Doggydogg

Thank you so much for your detailed information and advice, i am so appricated for your effort.

and also thanks for sharing the link, and have you ever buy this rc helicopter, since there is no review about it, i am wondering about its quality.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Doggydogg

Yes I have the xieda 9988 it is quite a tuff we heli with no problems the only weak point I can see of is the fly bar ! If you buy a spare flybar with it you should be ok ! If you go to heliguy.com there is reviews on the forum under the heliguy atom threads its the exact heli just under a different name
rob
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Doggydogg

The we heli is only for to learn u the sticks fluently and then you will be able to take a bigger coaxle outdoors for some stick time & fun until your confident you can moove to a fixed pitch chopper !
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 AM
spog1

Get any good heli of your choice, set it up tame, and put 100 hours on the sim. I started with a raptor 30 (TT36)with5 hours sim time and I regret both.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Doggydogg

Hi mate I also have real flight and its great but nothing compares to the real thing ,in my opinion a easy heli where you don't need to set up gyros and set up awash plates is for a beginner , as I found out with the esky models when I almost gave up forever five years ago , this we xieda 9988 that I got five years later helped me no end ant had me flying with no setup and just using the controller trims , there's no point in buying a rapter 50 as a beginner for a start the crashes will be costly the whole point is for a beginner to be more in the air than down time fixing Theyr model all the time then moove up , it can really put off a beginner like me and problems I had , setting up a more advanced heli for a beginner is hard unless you have a freind to help that's more experienced !
Just saying this is what worked for me after giving up from five years ago ! Now in 6 weeks I'm flying outdoors with confidence and flew my first fixed pitch 120sr the other day which was totally enjoyable now I'm thinking a trex 250 for myself or similar !
Cheers
rob
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM
geoffg1

Very good advice from Doggydog

I have the very similar (but more expensive) Blade mcx co-ax micro and still enjoy flying it around the lounge after 3 yrs, I, also have the Phoenix v3 Sim, but i just dont seem to have the patience to put the hours in.

What better way to learn the basic control of an rc heli, than sit on your sofa and annoy everybody else in the same room , and when you crash, after a quick visual check , 99 times out of a 100, you are ready to take off again.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Doggydogg

Hi yea I'm waiting on the blade coaxel v4 to come to our shops this month and I'm gonna buy one it looks really good i think it's the mcx4
i can't wait I moved the links on my servos out a notch on my lama and it made a great difference in flight for fff & just generally more control , thanks geoffg1 I think the experience of a small coax with minimal chance of damage is the best advice for a complete novice "like I was " and I would recommend it to anyone my sim is excellent but really flying ! There's no substatute ! And when you reach outdoor flight it's amazing there's no feeling like it , I get high on it lol my missis says I'm a changed man , more patience and happier
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
ATVAlliance

Not trying to bash anyone or their purchase.  But I have to say that if you are using a co-axial helicopter as a stepping stone to fly larger CP helis, you are simply wasting your time and money.

Money better spent would be for a SIM and a micro CP heli.  Flying a co-axial heli will teach you all of the wrong/bad habbits that will make the learning curve longer to fly a CP heli.

If CP (or even FP) helis are your goal, skip the co-ax route all together and at least start with a FP and SIM.  However, I still stand on saying starting with a micro CP (like a Blade mCPX or Nano CPX) and SIM is the best way to succeed in flying CP helis all the way up to 800 size the quickest and most affordable way.

Of course everyone is different and "some" may find co-axials beneficial.  But other than teaching you how to control the throttle, no other controls will really carry over.

goodluck
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Doggydogg

Worked for me that's all , I flew my mates 120 sr better than he did the other day and I'm really happy an confident that the coaxel learned me the basics first
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 AM
geoffg1

While i agree with ATV, I also think the co-ax helps to teach the co-ordination required, esp with learning nose in, i also dont think the skills are any different from flying my MCX to flying my FP MSR, however, i know CP will be a different ball game and I intend to get a Nano cpx -thanks to the missus and an impending birthday.
Like I said earlier, me and my Phoenix dont get on too well, as i don't have the patience, so i will need to learn on the real thing.

Spare a thought for the pioneers of the the CP heli, no sim, (not even the playstation game i had years ago- rc stunt copter) no computer radios, and every mishap would probably have cost a weeks wages. (I very breifly looked at rc helis in the early eighties only to find that a basic heli , in the air, cost around 6 weeks of the average wage )
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 AM
geoffg1

Forgot to say, I also have a Blade SR which has had a succsessful 5-10 seconds hover in the air before i bottled out and put it all nicely back in the box for another day, and i know it would have needed a total rebuild if it were not for the MCX and MSR
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Doggydogg

Hi guys ! Thanks for the experienced input atv and Geoff I spoke to my freind and as a total beginner myself I am going to Definately listen to you both or anyone with experience ! I'm thinking of joining a model club near me that I didn't know existed ! I spoke to my freind who let me fly his 120 sr he said they do lessons up there but I looked on they're website and its all big models they are using and I phoned him saying basically I would be to embarrassed to turn up with a tiny fp heli " I haven't decided what to buy yet " but he said if I get lessons the guy lets you fly his heli with a second controler , problem is he is on an align trex 450 , should I be afraid ? And should I be flying a cp helicopter at my level ? This has worried me a little but my freind told me flying a cp is similar to his fp only 3d of course and I shouldn't worrie if I can fly his model the 120sr then I should be ok only it's a much larger helicopter , my girlfreind said she would pay for a few lessons for me , but I always like to have my own kit for my hobbys , what should I do or buy ? Or should I just do a few lessons first then see what the guy says ? Or ? Should I jpend the money on a good heli instead of the lessons ? I just don't know ! My flying was uncomplicated for the last 6 weeks lol I'm afraid of getting or taking the wrong advice !
Cheers atv and cheers Geoff I hope to make some freinds here and I hope to update on my progress hehe with butterfly's in my stomach lol
rob
Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Doggydogg

Sorry what I ment to say there was that my freind told me that hovering a cp heli is not much different to hovering his fp " not flying "
but he says its smoother , I've been practising on my real flight sim but I recon that nothing beats the real thing
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Doggydogg

Sorry for all the posts but I still stand by what I said about my coax it has teached & helped me a lot for coardination and nose in and throttle control and not having to think as much and enjoy flying at a small cost for spares and initial costs as a novice
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Doggydogg

Aww Geoff mate I'm also an 80s child lol I know what it was like dreaming at the model shop and wanting a heli I was also looking at the msr and mcpx , I'm torn what to do ? I need to make the best next step so I need to make the right choice for once , I think it will come down to choice and cash as to if I'm successfull , at the moment I could afford a nice heli like a trex 250 or something but I need advice
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM
ATVAlliance

Again, I wasnt trying to insult anyone for what they are flying or what they learned on first. Heck, I even went the way of buying a few small/cheap 3 channel coaxial helis to start. What I found is without even being able to fly an RC plane...I mastered the CP heli in about a day or two. And on a 3ch heli, the only thing that translated even into FP helis was the throttle...as the yaw is on the right stick (mode2) whereas a FP or CP heli yaw would be on the left stick(again, mode2).
If you get a 4ch coaxial...then that will be a tad bit better as it puts the rudder on the appropriate stick to get you used to turning the tail with your left thumb (mode2), but thats about it.
By all means, everyone should do what makes them feel more comfortable when starting out. All I was trying to say is that if your end goal is to fly a CP heli, by all means start out with one. The Blade line with any of the mCPX versions out there as well as the Nano CPX are great choices. All of these helis are small and very lightweight and can take a ton of abuse. Abuse of a new person trying to learn to fly on their own. I liken the mCPX as a real life SIM because it just takes a ton of hits and keeps on ticking. I probably havent spent more than 30 bucks in replacement parts on mine and I have literally crashed it well over 50 times.
On the other hand, if all you want to do is have some fun inside with a small coaxial and your goal isnt to fly the larger CP helis one day. Any of teh CP helis will do. Just buy the cheapest you can find and buy 2 or 3 or 4 of them and when you break one...throw it away and start with another one. In time you will get tired of them and not play with them any longer anyway...so why waste a lot of money on a more expensive "toy helicopter". I use the word toy not to talk down...just to separate that class of heli with the better hobby grade ones.
I wont argue that someone used a coaxial heli to teach them how to nose in hover. I guess that is possible with some, just not myself. I can nose in hover a coaxial heli all day long. Fixed Pitch as well. I mean I can fly it almost right up to within inches of my face and hold it there. Ive been flying CP helis (all the way up to 600 size) for over 2 years now and Im not confident enough to hover nose in with any of my CP helis. I can do it...but its soo much harder to do because the heli can take off in any direction at any moment and you have to be "on your toes" or its going to bite you, someone else or the ground REAL quick. I dont think that you have to be great at nose in hovering to fly. At least I dont have to be as I can fly circuits and do flips, rolls and loops...but still am not confident in nose in hovering. Anyway...
In the end, there are endless ways to accomplish anything in life. Helis are no different. But, I feel I am an "average person" with "average abilities" in just about anything. And saying that...I think my method would work well for just about anyone that is like me. And that system is to just buy a decent SIM (I learned on Clear View but now have Phoenix too) and a micro CP helicopter like the Nano CPX or mCPX and just go for it.
All of the money you spend on anything less could be spent on the above and that will guarantee you success IF you are cut out to fly a CP heli. Lets face it, some people will just not be cut out for it and no matter what they do...they will eventually give up on it. Thats just the way that it is in life. But those who do learn to fly them...well, there isnt anything I can think of in RC that is more enjoyable than learning to fly an RC CP heli.
All of this is my opinion and of course, yourmileagemay vary.

PS...one more thing. Whomever said that they would get a 250 as their first CP heli...I wouldnt suggest that, AT ALL. The 250 heli is probably the hardest heli I own (and I own 3 of them) to get set up and fly right. They can get away from you in an instant and they are so tiny that working on them is a pain if you have big hands/fingers. For a first CP heli that is NOT a micro like the mcpx or nano...Id suggest a 500. The 500 is nice and large, can be built pretty cheap (Blade even has a 500 out now as well as coming out with a 550 if your wallet is fat enough) if you look at some of the clones and they fly GREAT! They are slower reacting and very stable. Can run on 5s batteries and just an all around great 1st real CP heli. Save that 250 till you have mastered basic CP heli flight and even more importantly, basic knowledge of understanding how to setup a CCPM system.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:42 PM
a70eliminator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never touched a helicopter before getting a Nano CPX for xmas, it's taken me up until just now to be confidently hovering the heli and manuvering it anywhere within my living room, and I've been eating and sleeping with that heli sinse day 1, I broke a bunch of parts and went through a few batteries. If you mastered it in a few days then your way better than me. I figure another month before I'll be nose in which i'm currently working on, I get into a comfortable hover and try to slowly walk around in front of it heli, it seems to be helping as I absolutely cannot take it off from a nose in attitude.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
geoffg1

Rob, i have had the msr for a couple of years and when i first bought it I also got every spare part I thought I would need (as you do) but all I've used after too many crashes is 3 blade grips and 2 tiny brass washers that you loose when you change the grips.

As a result of that I will go down the Blade nano cpx/dx6i route as ATV recommends, purely on a cost per crash basis, I had a look at the mcpx and the nano last week, but decided the mcpx may be a little too big for me to fly in the house, the nano is about the same size as the msr.

Did I mention that i came out the model shop with a Hubsan x4 (check it out on youtube), couldn't resist it and for £35 , gotta be the best fun i've had in ages, but those props come a bit sharp!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: a70eliminator

I never touched a helicopter before getting a Nano CPX for xmas, it's taken me up until just now to be confidently hovering the heli and manuvering it anywhere within my living room, and I've been eating and sleeping with that heli sinse day 1, I broke a bunch of parts and went through a few batteries. If you mastered it in a few days then your way better than me. I figure another month before I'll be nose in which i'm currently working on, I get into a comfortable hover and try to slowly walk around in front of it heli, it seems to be helping as I absolutely cannot take it off from a nose in attitude.

You misunderstood me. I didnt master the Nano in a few days, I was talking about mastering a coaxial toy grade heli. I dont own a Nano, but do own an mCPX v2 though.

I wouldnt sweat the nose in hovering too much. Not saying that it is not a good skill to have, but its the hardest one to learn and if you use a coaxial or even FP heli to try and learn nose in on, you will only have a false sense of security by doing so. Also, Id like to state that Im not advocating that anyone not learn "nose in" hovering. Im just simply stating that you dont have to be able to do it in order to fly the pattern and have fun flying. When/If you progress into 3D is when nose in hovering will be that much more of an important skill to have under your belt.

ORIGINAL: geoffg1

Rob, i have had the msr for a couple of years and when i first bought it I also got every spare part I thought I would need (as you do) but all I've used after too many crashes is 3 blade grips and 2 tiny brass washers that you loose when you change the grips.

As a result of that I will go down the Blade nano cpx/dx6i route as ATV recommends, purely on a cost per crash basis, I had a look at the mcpx and the nano last week, but decided the mcpx may be a little too big for me to fly in the house, the nano is about the same size as the msr.

Did I mention that i came out the model shop with a Hubsan x4 (check it out on youtube), couldn't resist it and for £35 , gotta be the best fun i've had in ages, but those props come a bit sharp!

If I were to do all over again...I think I would go with the mCPX BL. Its just a tad bit bigger than the v1 or v2 mcpx and has brushless main and tail motor. But, the price is kind of "up there".

If you think that getting a nano over an mcpx because its smaller and can be flown easier indoors...you have made a wrong assumption. In my opinion, the nano is a bit more "twitchy" than the mcpx and a tad more powerful because its smaller and lighter. So, its a bit better "performer" than the mcpx. I had the chance of buying a good used one for a great price the other day and declined it. Its just a little too small for me and I already own an mCPX anyway.

As far as parts go, here is what I have had to replace on my mcpx (the nano should be no different)

*tail boom (twice)
*swash (once, as I somehow broke the elevator ball)
*feathering shaft (two or three times)
*ball links (couple of times...spares come with the heli though and I havent had to buy any)
*frame (only because I broke the canopy standoffs and I didnt feel like rigging it when the frames are soo cheap)
*landing gear (not because it broke but I bought an aftermarket one with aluminum skid pipes and the CF boom supports. Has held up through all of my crashes though)

My canopy has been pancaked a few times in a couple of really hard crashes, but Ive popped it back out each time and it just looks a little bad and maybe even a slight crack in it...but Im still using it. Otherwise, thats about it.

I only chimed in again because I wanted everyone that is brand new to realize that even though I advocate the small micro CP heli and SIM to teach yourself to fly...I dont recommend you doing it inside a small space until you get at least hovering tail in under your belt. To the point you can do it with no anxiety. These little helis are just so powerful and fast that they can get away from you really quick if you dont know how to control one. And while they probably wont break anything or maim anyone...they could end up damaging themselves more by hitting solid objects inside your home and cause more damage than is normal. Once you get better flying skills, you will be able to push the limits more and more inside in smaller spaces. I have seen some people fly the mcpx (well not fly, but do flips and such) inside a 6x10 box trailer. I can fly mine pretty good but could not even think about that. Even a living room that is say 12 x 15 is a bit small still for me. Give me a wide open area outside and you would think Im a PRO! lol

In the end, I still stick with my opinion that the most economical way to learn to fly a CP heli is with a SIM combined with a Nano or mCPX AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PRACTICE!

goodluck to all who are venturing into this great hobby. You will be addicted before long, Im sure!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 PM
judithangels

It can be confusing trying to decide which rc helicopter is best, especially if you have never flown one before.If you are beginner you start with a simple ,small and easy flying helicopter.When i am new in helicopter i start with Co-Axial RC Helicopter.It characterized it with two blades, which rotate in different directions. This makes it stable in flight as a single propeller rc helicopter, and therefore much easier to learn. If you have never flown a remote controlled helicopter, remote control is better to start with a co-axial helicopter to before you try on a single propeller.Hope you like it!Otherwise you visit here and get best beginner helicopter as per choice.
Regards
judith
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
aufevermike

Here is my choice. I had never flown and wanted to. so i decided on the aligntrex 450 plus dfc. I took 2 weeks researching and figuring out the control and trying ground moves. then i took it into a gym and got the nerve to pop it up and everything smoothed out and came together. In 3 days and a total of 11 12 minute flights I can do the square circuit and 20 feet circles. Go slow and don't get ballsy and you'll figure things out. I have no sim time. All my learning comes from the heli and www.rchelicopterfun.com and from John Salt's e-books and 10 day online course. I'm hooked.