Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

question about what type of helicopter to start with

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

question about what type of helicopter to start with

Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 AM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about what type of helicopter to start with

Is it easier for a newbie to start with a quadcopter or a regular shaped helicopter? Which is easier to controll?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: question about what type of helicopter to start with

I find quads to fly much like a FP (fixed pitch) heli.

Fixed Pitch helis are easier to fly than CP (collective pitch) helis, at least that is my opinion.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
RCHobbiesonAir

Hi there,

I think that there are some things that you want to consider when starting with RC helicopteres, I am a newbie as well with this hobby but I've spent many hours investigating this stuff.

As I see it, (and I may be wrong or missing something) you want to take a look at least to 5 factors when selecting an RC helicopter.
  1. Number of Channels: Not many people know this, but the number of channels is a lot of information, it tells you how many variables will you control when flying. Each channel is used to control 1 servo that will produce a specific movement of the heli. A typical 3 channel RC helicopter is the perfect choice for a newbie, with it, you can go up/down, left/right, and forwards/backwards. Starting with a 3 ch heli is the best way for you to get used to the controls and practice your fligh, after that, moving to a higher level of channels is a great idea.
  2. Place of use: Some newbies like you and me will use our heli inside the house or in the garage, so it is good to find the proper size of the helicopter in order to be able to fly inside the house. Also related with this and depending on where will you fly your helicopter it is a good idea to find a flexible, strong, and resistant helicopter, because being a newbie chances are that you will have some crashes (I do), so it is best to find a strong RC helicopter.
  3. Ready to fly (RTF) or Almost ready to fly (ARF): Most models come ready to fly, which means that no assembly is requied at all from your end. This is the best way to go for a newbie because you want to get to know better the toy, then you can think about building your own or assembling it, which by the way I considere extremely fun to do.
  4. Spare parts Availability: This is a critical part, I found many guys that just bought their first RC helicopter without checking spare parts availability, then when they needed them they found that the manufacturer was no longer selling them and they were super hard to find, so always check this, also, it is a great idea to get some spares when purchasing your toy.
  5. Battery and Charger: It is always a good idea to check the battery specs in order to find how long the heli will fly and how long would it take to charge the battery, also you can find upgrades for higher capacity batteries at great prices, and if you plan to use your heli a lot, buy some extra batteres as well. In case that your heli uses a battery package (which means that more than one battery cell is used), it is a great idea to have a balance charger, this will tell you the amount of charge of each cell, also, will prevent your battery from ignition and will make sure that all cells are being charged at a balanced rate. I guess that is where they got the name!
I have written a more comprehensive review of these factors on my site, also I give some suggestions of helicopters for newbies like you and me. This article was compiled using the information gatherd after an extensive research, in case that you want to reade the article is available here:http://www.*********onair.com/gyro-rc-helicopter/

Hope this helps!
Jose
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
jackeylewis

well, i think the regular helicopter is easy to fly, for i prefer love its appearance, no much interest on quadcopter
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 AM
judithangels

New flyer always start with a small, simple helicopter.Now different online toy shops provide simple helicopter for beginner.If you donot have any idea about beginner helicopter 
here you see best helicopter which is really helpful for beginner.