Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Nano hovering in circles?

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Nano hovering in circles?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 AM
a70eliminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nano hovering in circles?

Can figure out what is causing this wandering hover, stable but always wants to make big circles, it never used to do this and would hover virtually hands free.
I changed the feathering shaft, installed o-ring isolators, disssembles and cleaned servos, swaped blades, nothing I do seems to rectify the circling wandering, anyone have a suggestion?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 AM
ArrrCPirate

Default RE: Nano hovering in circles?

Just a noob here, but I find it amazing these little birds are as stable as they are, last as long as they do, take the beating they do, and keep flying.
My mcpx2 doen't like to stay in one spot, but since helis are inherently unstable, no big surprize, right ?

Arrrr.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 AM
a70eliminator

Yea I understand these little ships needing constant input, it just seems as though lately something changed causing a pulsating gyration, the same exact left counterclockwise going down the drain sorta swirl that i have to be correcting at all times, if I let go just for a second it immediately begins it's circling, not a tail/rudder circle, it's a pitch and roll gyration, I dunno probably once i crash it a couple times she'l straighten out lol.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
nothinbetr2do

try and loosen up your feathering shaft. there should be alittle side to side play in it. for some reason the nano doesn't like it to be tight
Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM
a70eliminator

Ok that was well worth a try, my grips are the microheli alluminum with the nice rotary bearings but tried it anyhow but it didn't help so I took the slop back out of them, i have the little o-rings at all connections, i think it may be time for a compkete overall or just buy whole new BNF and write this one off as training expense.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
ArrrCPirate

Well, if there's some time on it, may need the cleaning of the servos.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM
ATVAlliance

are you sure that your cyclic servos are finding their center?  sounds like either the aileron or pitch servo could be buggered up...throwing your swash off of level.

When you initialize/power on...does your swash look completely level?  Or is it leaning to one side?  If its leaning...there is your problem most likely.

Also, check to make sure that there is no up and down play of your main shaft.  If the main gear has slid down (often happens in almost every crash)...you need to re-seat it.

Other than those 2 things...I cant think of anything else.

This issue used to be a very common problem on the FP Blade mSR helis.  It was called "toilet bowl syndrome" and it was always associated with the swash bearing coming lose from the swash if I recall.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
a70eliminator

Ok thanks I'll look at that swash center, the gear used to slip down the mainshaft but I took care of that, it once go so loose the heli wouldn't lift off the ground lol so i don't believe it's an issue, the toilet bowl syndrome depicts is perfectly, I'll take a closer look at the servo centers thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM
a70eliminator

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!
Putting o-rings on the pivot points was causing the problem, specifically the two that attach to rotor head, read below.
Took the o-rings back off and all was good again, guess the microheli aluminum upgrades don't need the orings as it makes the connections too stiff.
Even though the Nano is not coaxial the links attaching the rotor blades evedently have similar effect,( I think I said that right)

There are a few possibilities such as a bent flybar (in the correct direction) or a bent upper rotor shaft. These bends would have to be very significant before toilet bowl effect would happen however. The main reason TBE happens on micro coaxials is very simple...

The Flybar is stiff and binding on the pivot points in the head or on the ball links going from the flybar to the rotors.