Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Need advice on beginning this amazing hobby

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Need advice on beginning this amazing hobby

Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 AM
webenzyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on beginning this amazing hobby

Hi fellow hobbyists,

I have very little experience in 2ch and 3ch IR Coaxial helis.

I have set my short term Goal to flying a 4ch/6ch FP/CP Scale rc helicopter (the more realistic looking the better) budget for this is 250$-300$, new or used.

I have shortlisted a few below
Heli-Max EC145, Heli-Max MD-530, Hubsan H101D Lynx, Esky Honey Bee CPX, Nine Eagles Solo Pro Bravo

I need suggestions in choosing the above ones or any other helis that meet the following criteria:
1) Remote must be of standard type
2) Must be flybarless
3) Scale fuselage
4) budget $200-$300 (preferably new)

Flying this heli will be my short term goal, Also recommend a/few trainer rc heli(s) to progress to my goal.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 06:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

I reviewed the EC-145 for model aviation, here's the link
http://www.modelaviation.com/helimaxec145
Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Hedgewarden

W enzyme,
I too am very noob. However, I strarted with a pair of Propel Speedstars purchased from Radio Shack, post Christmas close out sale. Transmitter has both 3 ch "intermediate" and 4 ch "advanced" modes, and slow and fastmodes. For several reasons, chief being that yaw was on the right stick in 3 ch mode and the normal left stick in 4ch mode, and I did not want to have to relearn yaw control, I learned 4ch without the usual coaxial or 3ch startup.

All that preface to say, I can recommend the WLToys V911 for anyone starting into 4ch. My Speedstars are reskinned and rebranded V911s, with a 3ch option added to the tx. They fly predictably, take lot of abuse, and are inexpensive on eBay.

However, they, as well as the Hubsan Lynx, which I also have, use a flybar for stability.

I love my Lynx, but IMO it is not the step up you probably want. It is basically a camera platform with a video link to the tx. It is quite docile and slow, not IMO a good 4ch trainer. FPV flying is a whole new ballgame to learn after learning line-of-sight 4ch control. (I haven't started that transition yet!)

If you are adament about flybarless, WLToys has 4 and 6ch versions which are good values. From what I have read, and brief trial of 6ch in a simulator, I am not going to tackle 6ch until I can practice on a sim.

I am not familiar with the other models you listed, so no comment here.

Fair air friend.
Howard

Last edited by Hedgewarden; 02-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Swaggerjacker

I second the WLToys V911 Great little heli.

Steve