Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Falls over to left on take off

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Falls over to left on take off

Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 AM
dave1763

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Falls over to left on take off

Hi. I've just bought a Speed Master Mini RC helicopter from Amazon as the easiest noobie way to upgrade to 4-channel from 3-channel for flight in my living room. I find that if I leave the controls in neutral and increase the engine speed, it just falls over to the left. I can take off by speeding up fast with nearly full right stick, followed by a fairly hard forward stick and only then can I let the controls back to neutral and adjust the trim to get a reasonable hover. Is this anything like normal? Or is it faulty somehow?

To reiterate, if it's trimmed for normal hovering, I have to apply very hard correction on take off. I'm prone to repeated crashes on take off for this reason. But if I can rapidly correct the mad swoops in the first few seconds, I can then fly it OK.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM
karlik

It is normal, just depends on how bad it rolls at liftoff. Put the throttle at zero, and the cyclic at center. Looking from the sides and back the swashplate should be level. If it's tilted forward or backward your balance is probably wrong and you need to adjust the weight a little. If it's tilting to the left, it will make takeoffs worse - adjust the control rods on the swash until it's level. If you have it trimmed so it tilts a little to the right for hover it's not a big deal right now. Just don't try to trim enough for a "normal" takeoff - that's not the answer.
When I was learning a lot of people suggested I hop up into the air and learn to hover first, then work on a more normal takeoff.
Takeoff is just a matter of practice - eventually you'll be able to compensate and go (almost) straight up without thinking about it.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:35 PM
dave1763

Adjust the control rods? When I said mini, I meant miniature... Anyway, the answer was ridiculously simple. The landing cradle has downward projections on the left side which should tilt the helicopter to the right. I was taking off from a carpet. and those projections sunk into the carpet, levelling the helicopter. When I took off from a book placed on the carpet, there was no problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5zL2Usn.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1965034  

Last edited by dave1763; 02-03-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Swaggerjacker

The rods can be adjusted on the V911 as well.

Steve
Old 02-28-2014, 02:20 AM
linda82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I just bought it too last week. Thanks for all replies.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Swaggerjacker

Originally Posted by linda82 View Post
I just bought it too last week. Thanks for all replies.
It's a fun Heli. I just got back from vacation and flew two batteries! Missed my little guy. I have larger Helis, some CP, but the little V911 is so convenient, and fun.

Steve
Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 AM
linda82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes.. its so fun flying this little thing...
Old 10-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Duke7171

Hey just read this thread and it rely helped me was getting very frustrated with my walkera 100 Iv had some heli exp and though I could go up a step but I began to think I was very wrong! Any way thanks again for the info