Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Is the Trex 450L A good first CP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Is the Trex 450L A good first CP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:22 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Trex 450L A good first CP

I have been flying planes for several years and helicopters for about 2 years. I have four helicopters, starting with a co-axial up to a couple of four channel helicopters. I have a used cheapo CP 300 size which I have dabbled with a little bit but it was in poor shape when I received it (free) and has remained pretty much the same as I did not want to invest in an off brand.

I am looking for the first real cp 450 size and am considering the TREX 450L dominator as the most up to date design but do not know if this is OK for a relative beginner.

I am concerned a bit that it is not belt drive rear rotor and also that it may be too much for me.

What do you all think?

Larry
Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion....and I don't own a 450 size electric...I could only tell you from experience that I have had. I started with a Raptor 50 nitro and I got to where I could hover and fly straight forward and straight back with confidence. Anything other than that I was kind of afraid to try because I didn't want to crash and have to spend 200 or 300 hundred in repairs. I bought a mcpx bl and started actually flying all over the place(circles, figure eights, etc) and got the correct muscle memory to do basic flying without being afraid. That progressed to loops and stationary flips. Now I can fly the Raptor around pretty easily with confidence. I haven't tried a flip or anything yet with it but I can actually fly around the sky in circles and stuff. I did all my crashing and learning on the mcpx bl and never hardly had to replace a thing. Once in a while I might replace the canopy or a link might pop off...nothing major. It's honestly like a real life simulator they are that durable. I'm not saying you can't learn on that Trex 450....but gosh it would suck to crash that nice a heli while learning basic stuff when you can learn and develop muscle memory on a cheaper more durable helicopter. Just an opinion here that worked for me. Good luck!!
Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
poison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

450 would be hard to learn with, but not impossible. I started with a heli max cp than moved up to a axe 400, than a raptor 30 and the raptor was the easiest to fly. Bigger more stable but little scary for beginners. I have a trex 500l dominator and it is really stable easy to fly. Torque tube I prefer because I had a belt brake while I was upside down and crashed, it's easier I would think to inspect gears than inspected a belt just my opinion. Hey look at trex 500e. Amainhobbies had them for $350 I think it was, get a simulator and a training gear and take it slow and you can learn if I can do it anyone can. Wish you best of luck