Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Another Blade 230 S question: balance

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Another Blade 230 S question: balance

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 07:06 AM
PickyBiker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Blade 230 S question: balance

Thought I was almost ready to try my new Blade 230S but the balance is way off.

Installed a Spektrum 3S 850mAh battery with an IC2 connector but with this battery installed the heli is very tail heavy. Double checking the specs shows it is the recommended battery size but using that would require substantial weight added to the front to make it balance.

I would hate to try flying it with the balance so far off. Are people adding the weight to it, using a larger battery, or something else?
Old 12-22-2021, 04:28 PM
Rockin Heli

Hello Biker, try adding some small lead weighs inside the front of the canopy if their is room.You can tape them first and when the heli is balanced, then use some C A glue. You don't want the weight to shift around when flying. Good luck hope this works for you.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:59 PM
PickyBiker

Thank you! I just did that today. I used a larger battery 3S 1350mAh battery instead of the suggested 850mAh and crushed a 1/4 oz lead weight into a ball and glued it into the point of the canopy. With the two of them in place it is perfectly balanced. Flew it for the first time and had two successful tail-in hovers about 15 seconds each. No crash!. These were my first successful heli flights.

I tried helis several years ago but didn't take the time to really understand them and didn't know enough to tame down the controls or practice on a simulator. My expectations were way off the mark back then.

Much credit to J. Salt's "Setup & Tips For Electric Collective Pitch RC Helicopters". It is largely responsible for my first successful flights. The folks on this forum helped as well.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:44 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

That battery is shown as weighing 75g or 2.6 oz. I use a Turnigy Nano-tech 950 mah 3S, which is shown as weighing 69g. The Turnigy is known as making the 230S be a little tail heavy, but they are very popular and common, which means it isn't a big deal. I have had mine for about 5 years, with many hundreds of flights, and no issue at all with the balance. I don't fly 3D, and I don't even consider myself to be a good heli pilot.

If you are still worried, you could add the weight as suggested and see how it flies. Then remove the weight and see which way you like better. But since so many are flying, being more tail heavy than yours, it must not make the bird handle badly.

Also, I suggest that you check out this site for the 230S: https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=447

Last edited by Outrider6; 12-22-2021 at 06:47 PM.