Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Newy with a Omphobby M1

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newy with a Omphobby M1

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 12:35 AM
GhostriderTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newy with a Omphobby M1

Hey everyone. My name is Tom and I am a beginner when it comes to RC helicopters. I am getting on with life and decided to fulfil my childhood dream and finally learn to to fly a proper RC help but wow, its like where to start so with the suggestion of a local shop I purchased a First Steps 101 RC Helicopter. Its very reasonably priced, parts are cheap, amazing flight time (15 min) and most importantly easily to fly. And they were right. It's very easy to fly and very stable. You press a button, it takes off and press it again and it lands for you. It's extremely stable and allows you to learn very easily. In a matter of you minutes you get the hang of it and after an hour or two you are flying around and hovering and really getting used to it. My 11 year old daughter tried and she was flying in literally minutes. its that easy.

I have spent a few hours on this chopper and its at a point where I need to upgrade. I have been doing my research on what to get next and being in South Africa we are very limited with choice, specially with Covid but my local shop stocks OMPHOBBY and looking at some videos on Youtube and reading some forums this was the next step up so I have decided to purchase the M1 (with the OMPHOBBY protocol) with the OMPHOBBY T6 transmitter. I didn't go for the M2 as there is the M2 Rev 3 coming out soon and the M1 comes highly recommended. I am not at a level yet with setting up throttle curves and the OMP Protocol is already setup and ready to go, plus the curves are conservative so suited for beginners. Just a note if anyone is also looking to get this, get the RTF package. The RTF has the T6 transmitter, 2 batteries, charger and tools. If you get the BNF you only get the heli, 1 battery and some tools.

The heli arrived on Monday and wow, its a really fancy kit and well built. I have never flown a flight sim and the feeling of flying a RC heli 4x the price of the other one as a newbie is quite daunting but I have now done 3 flights and I can say its an amazing heli. But its much harder to fly (for obvious reasons as this is a proper heli) however I am up to the challenge. I am not using the stability mode but have put the throttle mode to Step 1 (70%) and with practise I'll get better and better. Controlling it forwards, backwards left and right and using rudder is fairly easy, it's the throttle I need to get right. Its very sensitive and I tend to make the heli shoot up and then down like its bouncing lol so I guess I need to learn a little fitness and finer control skills. Its really early days so lots to practise is needed but I'll get there. Very exciting indeed and the RC heli journey begins. One thing I did do was purchase the books bundle by John Salt at RC Helicopter Fun so got some interesting reading to do and hopefully learn a lot of tips.