Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking to get into Helis.

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Looking to get into Helis.

Old 10-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Ubenripped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into Helis.

Hi, I'm looking to get into RC Helicopters. I used to fly RC planes and race 1/8 Scale Unlimited Class Hydroplanes. I'm about to sell my Hydro engine and radio equipment and start looking at Helicopters. I've been doing a lot of research and the Kyosho Nexus has caught my eye as a good beginner. Is this a good heli for a beginner?

Besides for the kit, radio, engine, gyro and simulator is there anything else I need? Also, any recommendations on a radio and engine? There are so many to choose from.

I should also mention I don't want an ARF. Building and learning to tune it is half the fun.

Oh yes, one other thing. There are no hobby shops that I know of within 40 minutes of my house. Anyone know any good online hobby stores to order from?
Old 10-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Looking to get into Helis.

I would look a little farther then the Nexus (in my opinion). I have never owned one, but from what I have read there not much of a heli. It wont take you very long to out grow it and then you will have to spend more money for up grades or get a new heli. You should just buy a good heli right from the start and save money in the long run. There are lots of (better) beginner heli's out there then the Nexus, that will take you into 3D flying when you are ready.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:08 PM
iflynething

Ubenripped,
Ok.....I to have been wanting to get into the Great Sport of R/C Helicopters. They are so interesting. I have been flying planes for 2 years now, and I want to get into something more interesting. That would be helis. Ok.......I do look around these forums, and since I'm only 14 I don't know much about, but I know enough to tell you stuff. Now to answer some of your question. 1) You say that you are interested in the Nexus 30 I would have to recommend that you don't get near this heli just like Charlie had said. From what I have heard about this heli, all is really does is help you learn the basics. Then when you want to do aerobatics and 3D, then you have to buy a bigger engine, more blades. Three of the most popular beginner helicopters is the Raptor 30, Kyosho Caliber 30, and the JR Venture 30. They are all great machines.
With the Raptor heli, right out of the box it is a 3D monster. Thin blades and paddles. All the equipment for the job. I would have to say that it WILL be more than the others like the Venture.
Ok the JR Venture. I have saw this one at a local hobby store. You wouldn't believe what it has. All that beginner like youself and me would need. Well, since it is only an ARF, you have to buy the engine, gyro, radio, etc. But this heli handles well from what I have heard. Now, once you get the hang of it and you get more confidence, then what do you do? Well that is the great thing about this new heli from JR. All you do is look in the box, find the smaller paddle-bars, and the thinner, and lighter carbinfiber blades and you convert these onto your trainer Venture. Now, you go from a learning machine, to a 3D monster. This R/C helicopter I will get. That is when I get enought money. I was at my hobby store, and a guy was talking about this bird for 3 hours. Well he left the store (from what the people told me at the store) with the engine, gyro, extra servos, radio, and about $850 poorer. Now if you thing about it, that isn't really that much money for a beginner's heli. I would call that a good price. Oh yeah, the Venture has 120 degrees of CCPM.
Now, about the Caliber 30. This one also can be converted from a "basicker" to a 3D heli. But, sorry, I don't really know much about this heli.
From what you can see, if I were you then I would have to get the new Venture 30 from JR. It helps you learn the basics, and when you are done learing these, then you can "upgrade" it and fly 3D. To me the Venture, or the Rappy is the best choic.
Now, I would think that my information that i just gave to you is accurate, which all of it is, but i you really want to find out more, then you have to look around. Stay in the beginners forum. This is a great place to start. I'm learning too.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:10 PM
iflynething

Also, I accedentially hit the enter button on the keyboard and it entered all of that^^^^^^........but I left out some stuff.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:16 PM
iflynething

About the hobby online store. I know that the best one has to be www.horizonhobby.com. To me they have everything. Well, almost. They don't carry Futaba radios. But that is ok. Plenty more radios to choose from. Well, I really hope that you find what you are looking for......and look around.......there are plenty more people that know more about helis than me.......but BLUE SKIES, AND HAPPY ROTORING!!!!!

Michael Carr
[email protected]
AIM and Yahoo Screename: xp3viper

"Why drive when you can fly?"
"The second greatest thrill known to man is taking off, the first and only is landing....."..........what goes up must come down.....!!!!!!!!!........sometimes it comes down the way you didn't want it to.
"R/C helicopters and planes should be set free, set them free. If they don't come back, then you should have checked your battery!!"
Old 10-04-2003, 05:19 PM
iflynething

If you really want to ask someone about helis.....then you need to find Spaceman Spiff somewhere on the beginner forum, and ask him........I hope that he doesn't mind me suggesting him for quetions. I have been looking and he has most the answers to about everything about R/C Helis........so find him.......and talk to him..........HAPPY ROTORING AND BLUE SKIES......!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 10-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Ubenripped

Thanks for the info. I'm still looking around. It will probably be a few months before I decide for sure which one I want. I don't really want one that's prebuilt or ARF. I enjoy building and tuning RCs as much as playing with them. I'm going to go ahead and order the Real Flight G2 simulator next week. For the helicopter, I'm willing to spend up to approximately $1000. I think that should be enough to cover most beginner helis. I would like one that could be upgraded later on but one that is also stable enough for a beginner to be able to learn. I guess another thing to ask is are there any I should just completely stay away from?
Old 10-05-2003, 11:48 AM
syclic

To keep posters from repeating themselves, please check out the comments of the two other similar newbie questions here e.g. the following " newbie" and "Please help!! heli choice for beginner?"

Bert
Old 10-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Take a look at any of the 50's Raptor, Sceadu, Voyager.

I have only flown the raptor 39 and the Raptor 50. The 30's tend to get outgrown, and the small engines are notorious for overheating. The 50's are more trouble free, easier to hover, and can really gobble up the sky when you are ready.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:06 PM
jwoolridge

For a first machine I'd say get a rappy. Cheap to crash and parts are plentiful (trust me you will crash). I'd get the V2 30 with TT 39 and a 401 gyro with 9253 servo. All that can be gotten from http://www.helihut.com/ . They have the best prices and are very easy to deal with.

I would suggest a JR 8103 radio with the 5 811 digital servos. This is the best bang for the buck (this will give you one spare servo but at some point you will need this, DON'T BUY the 4 servo radio. The transmitter is a airplane one with several differences and the battery is not big enough for a heli). You can get the radio from http://www.horizonhobby.com/ . You could also get a futaba 9CHF but the servos that come with it wont compared with the 811's. Don't cheap out on the radio or else in 6 months youll be shopping for a new one.

You will also need field gear (starter, glow igniter, hex shaft, fuel pump, fuel (I suggest cool power 15% or any other 15% synthetic fuel), fuel fittings for fuel jug, fuel line, fast charger, loaded voltmeter (ie:hobbico or hangar 9), charging leads for voltmeter and charger). The following are needed for the heli : remote glow, foam rubber, zip ties of all sizes, some sort of training gear (either homemade or store bought), fuel tubing, glow plug(s), #64 rubber bands, blue and red locktite, header tank for when you move to 3D), triflow oil (from the local bike shop), synthetic bearing grease (for the dampers in the head and the bearings that are stuck in the frames)).

For tools you will need: a set of metric hex drivers, ball link pliers, exacto knife, a tooth brush (used to put the fan on the engine), Socket set, a set of jewlers screw drivers, needle nose pliers, A large selection of other types of pliers helps.

Thats about all for now. If you have anymore questions ask.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:05 PM
Ubenripped

After doing a little more reading I'm leaning toward the Raptor for just that reason. I expect to have a some crashes starting off. I'm trying to minimize it by buying Real Flight G2, which should be in this week, however crashes are still going to happen. I want something relatively cheap to learn on. Once I master everything that the Raptor can do THEN I'll sell it and move on to a little bit bigger kit.

One question. Is the starter the same starter as the airplane starters, just a different head adapter? I have 80% of the field equipment and tools already from my plane and boat days so that won't be that much of a problem.