Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

After Run Oil...

Old 07-02-2004, 02:35 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run Oil...

How many of you put some after run oil in your engines? You do this after every run, or just for longer term storage? I plan to run mine at least once a week, maybe twice, just wondering if I should use some or not...

What type of oil do you use? I've heard of people using Marvel Mystery Oil for this. Is there any other type of oil for this that I can find at Autozone or other autoparts place?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:18 PM
d_wheel

Default RE: After Run Oil...

Have been running glow engines since 1960 and have never used after run oil. If I am going to store an engine for a while, I use light machine oil. Never had any problems.

Later;

D.W.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:45 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Waste of time and money. You do more damage to the engine running the fuel out of it. Just drain the tank and clean up the heli. The fuel in the engine is all the after run oil you need and all these wivestales about the nitro being bad is hokey. It evaporated before you picked up the heli.

Do a search on it in the clubhouse if you want to read all the arguments on it. There have been lots.

Have fun
Old 07-03-2004, 08:18 AM
FBaity

I never use afterun oil, however I do run the fuel out of the engine at the end of each flying session.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:01 AM
rcheliflyer01

I really rather not use it but I do after every flying session weither it needs it or not
I used to just run the fuel out, but found that the bearing life in my motors was less due to corrosion,
somtimes even some ring sticking if left sitting for a long time.
What I do now is to run the fuel out , then spray a shot of "SeaDoo" lube in the carb air intake and crank
the motor over 3 times at WOT to purge it out.
SeaDoo lube is a watercraft fogging oil that has anti-corrosion properties. been doing this for about 18 months
on all my helis and the bearings are still good, last time they were out in less than 6 mon on two new motors.

Works for me
Old 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
-pkh-

I figured if there was some fuel left in it, the methanol/nitromethanol would evaporate fairly quickly (since the engine is warm) and just leave behind the lubricant.

I've heard you're not suppose to put the after-run oil in the carb (clogs it up), and that you're supposed to pull the glow plug to put it in. I don't like the idea of pulling my plug each time to do this... seems like a lot of extra wear & tear on the screw threads in the engine and the glow plug itself.

Since I plan to run mine once or twice a week for now, I'll probably try without it, for now. Already bought a big bottle of Marvel Mystery oil for it, but maybe I'll just dump it into my cars (full size, that is).

Thanks for your input/opinions on it, guys!
Old 07-05-2004, 05:32 PM
flyfree69

it says right on my 15% cool power bottle NOT to use after run oils.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:31 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: flyfree69
it says right on my 15% cool power bottle NOT to use after run oils.
Hey, that's good news for me... I'm running 15% Coolpower myself! I'll have to read the bottle...