Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Living in Montana has it's advantages!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Living in Montana has it's advantages!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:33 PM
jduran280

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living in Montana has it's advantages!

For one, [link=http://www.heliproz.com]Heliproz [/link] is located near by, (and if you fly planes, [link=http://www.centralhobbies.com]Central Hobbies[/link] is about 3 blocks from Heliproz) so when I decided to get into this hobby, they were more than willing to help me depart from a good chunk of cash. I'm new to helicopters (but not airplanes), and I was wondering if anyone could share some advice on how to use a pitch gauge, specifically the Maverikk brand. Here's my setup:

Caliber 30 w/0.S. .32
9C
GY-401 w/9254
4 JR DS811 servos for Col, Pitch, Thr etc.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:22 PM
wisdom-seeker

Default RE: Living in Montana has it's advantages!

All pitch gauges must essentially be used in the same way. You must set your collective to the point where you wish to make the measurement. The swash plate must have no cyclic input (it must be level), and the flybar must also be level. When the gauge is clamped to a rotor blade, then you can make your pitch measurement. Most gauges require that you align the gauge with the flybar to make a measurement.

Before you set up your pitch curve, you must set up your neutral pitch at the middle of the range of your swash plate. At that position, set your pitch to zero. The pitch at the extreme ends of swash plate travel should be equal and opposite.

When you're setting up a pitch curve, you set the collective stick to the position that you are trying to program, and then adjust the setting of that stick position until the pitch gauge reads correctly. Depending on your radio, this may be at 3 or 5 stick positions.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:04 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bring it over to Missoula. I will help you set it up.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:19 PM
jduran280

Thanks much for the offer, Flyboy, but Missoula's about 4hrs from Livingston. Thanks also Wisdom-Seeker, your advice made sense. I think I can set it up from that post. One odd thing about this helicopter was that even though I followed the manual's instructions for setting up up the servos and radio, the throttle was reversed. (the manual said to reverse the throttle and pitch) when I set the throttle to normal, it worked fine. It was quite windy today (Imagine that in Livingston) so I couldn't take it on it's maiden hover, but maybe this weekend!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:55 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I may be in Bozeman tomorrow. email me and give me your number. I can check it out for you. I would be at the airport in the early afternoon if the trip goes.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Bozeman, if you ever want to come fly with me you are more than welcome! Livingston is not that far away (like what, 30 min at the most?). Any way there are a couple of us heli guys at the local club. I can say that i actually self taught myself how to fly heli's. First i was on a sim for over 100 hours and then i had BIG training gear on my Hirobo Sceadu evo 30. I only have one crash to my name (well on the sceadu that is my Blade cp is a different story, I tryed to loop with non semetrical blades and needless to say it went in hard) and it was not even my falt. The collective pitch ball link snaped as i was hovering about ten feet above the ground. It shot streight down and did alot of damage. Any way feel free to come and visit and fly any time!
-Matt
Old 03-15-2007, 04:25 PM
wisdom-seeker

Flyboywbl,

You are aware that the previous post in this thread was made in 7/9/2004? I doubt that anyone concerned even remembers this thread.
For what it's worth.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 PM
jduran280

Actually, I'm still here, I got an email that someone responded to the post. Coincidentally, I am a member of said Bozeman flying club, Gallatin Eagles, and have been for 4-5 years, however, I've never actually attended a club meeting. I continue to fly airplanes, but only a few times a year. I still have my helicopter rig, and I think it is set up correctly, but have very little experience actually flying it - I have probably a grand-total of 10-15 minutes of hover time under my belt. When I originally bought the heli, no one in my club flew helis, I was unable to dedicate the sim time to learn to fly properly, and the heli was put on a shelf and virtually forgot about. I might try to come down on Tuesdays, when training starts up...Thanks Matt.

-Jody
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah my e-mail is, [email protected] . feel free to shoot me an e-mail when you are going to be out there and i'd be glad to help you set up your rig.
-Matt
Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 PM
jacklegchris

Off your subject here but we are having 2 fly -ins soon one at mile marker 21 east river road in paridise valley 7/20 & 7/21 and another 8/3 & 8/4 2 or 3 miles north of Wilsal. On Saturday morning (8/4) full scales from the Three Forks start landing around 8:00 am. We had 35 full scales land last year. Just a thought.