Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Have Heli=Know nothing...help please!

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Have Heli=Know nothing...help please!

Old 08-13-2004, 12:44 AM
insanerc
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have Heli=Know nothing...help please!

Well I've been flying planes for years and consider myself as good or better than most. The same with r/c cars, trucks, buggies, etc. Was getting an itch to try a heli since I never had so I bought a hummingbird. Got her all set up with the electronics all in except I'm waiting on the battery and charger to get here so can't do much yet.

As I keep looking over this thing I finally figured out what a swash plate and paddle bar are. I have one question though before I try to fly this thing after studying it for hours. Remember I don't know anything about helicopters and how they work.

The servos move the swash plate around it's easy to see. My question is the rotor at the top is rigid in one direction but in the other tilts to either side with ease and I see nothing to control that. Is this correct and do these things just work out in flight. Hopefully someone will understand my question. Hard for someone who knows nothing to explain.

Thanks,
David
Old 08-13-2004, 07:49 AM
vallon

Default RE: Have Heli=Know nothing...help please!

I think I know what you are talking about. Do you mean like the two paddles will move up and down kind of freely? Mine does that too. I am not sure what that is for, but my copter works just fine. I mean I followed the instructions exactly and it manuevers great so I don't really know what that's for. I will sit and wait and see if someone can explain it to both of us.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:29 AM
insanerc

Hello vallon, yes that's exactly what I mean (I think), lol. It seems to me the rotor would just flop in all directions while powered up like that but I guess if yours work that it is correct. I sure can't figure it out and it would be nice if someone would explain. Thanks, I feel little better now as I thought something was missing when all this was ARF.

David
Old 08-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Sabot

the flybar moves pitch on the rotor and the servos twist the flybar. creating the cyclic movements.

you have a lot to learn.

basicly the right stick should be the cyclic stick and the left should be the throttle and rudder. a bit like on a plane.
theres too much to it to put in a post or even a thread.
have a look around the net
www.electricmicro.com is a place to start.

Paris
Old 08-13-2004, 11:33 AM
insanerc

Sabot, thanks for the info and I figured it was something to that effect just by studying it but I haven't got the battery to run it yet and see it in action. I already have been to the site you mentioned but there is really no info on this there and how it actually works. It goes into a lot of nice setup stuff but I want to know why and how things work. As said I'm good with plane. Can 3-D the hell out of a 3-D plane. But I've never paid to much attention to helis.

I've been watching some at the fields I go to lately and decided I needed a new challenge. I know I have a "LOT" to learn and that's why I think this is great!

Thanks,
David
Old 08-13-2004, 12:56 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Its a good Idea to get some help from a heli person before attempting to even throttle one up at first. Even if its just an indoor electric. The only reason is they dont even remotely resemble an aircraft in flight stick movements. I used a sim to get the basics down and it helped alot. I dont dare touch a real gas heli with a collective pitch and all the fixens but for my mini dragon fly it has done miracles. And like you I consider myself a pretty good piliot at 3D and in general airplanes. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:51 PM
insanerc

Hello joeb, yeah I'm probably going to go to the field and talk to some of the heli guys there before I try to fly it. I feel sure I can do it but don't want to be over confident or stupid. I've just spent quite a while reading about full scale and r/c helis'. Found some really good sites on line with some great info and detail. Now I can honestly get rid of the know nothing part, lol. To bad you can't edit topics. Maybe like this "Have Heli=Lots more to learn"

My little HB is fixed pitch so that should help a little I figure. I've got a lot of good setup info with pics now, do's and don'ts, etc. Watched some vids of how the controls all work. Not much yet but it's all a start.

David
Old 08-13-2004, 02:34 PM
joeb102072

Sounds like you will have good luck getting started. I went with the mini dragon fly for only one simple reason and that is simplicity. Open the box plug it in charge it up. some minor adjustments per mfg instructions and your flying. After talking to some of the heli guys at my field I definatly dont have that kinda time to set up a real one. Way too much involved for my liking. Besides when the winter comes I have just the thing to mess with in the house and up north while on vaca or long weekends. Heli = I dont want to learn. For me anyway, Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:38 PM
insanerc

Lol joeb, well I don't know just what it is you have to mess with in the house but I hope it's soft and curvy

I don't really have the time either but I'm one of those people that can't sit still 5 minutes without doing something. I figure this will help keep me busy!

David
Old 08-16-2004, 06:14 AM
joeb102072

I am positive of the fact I am that way too. I really dont like sitting down and doing nothing. But if I showed that kind of assertivness to my wife I would be busy till the year 2080. And then RC would be a thing of the past or then maybe my marriage would. Now theres a decision, RC or Marriage.................. YEAAAAA RC definatly.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:31 AM
insanerc

Great news all! Yesterday at a flying field I found a friend with a 30 size heli. We talked a bit as he explained things to me. He knew that I was good with a radio because he had seen me fly 3-D planes here before so asked me if I would like to try his heli with his instuctions. With his setup and ready I said what the hey and gave it a try. Guess what? I actually lifted off with it, hovered around (at around 6-8 feet) and got the feel of it. I was in control at that point and feeling everything the Heli was doing with my input on the controls............WOW! After a few minutes I started getting a little nervous because this wasn't my bird and I landed her with him telling me what to do. What a great feeling! I love these helis'!

Thanks for all the help guys!
David

PS, Now we can change the title of this thread to Have Heli- Know a little, lol