Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Still having engine trouble!!!

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Still having engine trouble!!!

Old 08-27-2004, 07:59 PM
vallon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having engine trouble!!!

Ok I just got some 15% fuel for me Raptor .30 and O.S. 32 engine. I am adjusting both valves. I just don't know why I am not getting in the air. I was doing ok with the 30% fuel, but I knew I was losing head speed after running it 5 minutes. Now I don't have enough head speed to get a foot off of the ground. Also when I put it to full throttle, I can here it losing speed. Help me! Please!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:03 AM
AutoMike

Default RE: Still having engine trouble!!!

ok Vallon, Lets assume your engine is running fine on 15%, you have the carb adjusted well and all is right with it. You havent said the engine dies often or that its hard to start after a hot shut down and then re-start so I'll bet money its your collective servo...I've had the very same thing happen to me before. I was running a futaba 148 or some lame low end servo on my Hawk's collective but I was running a 5 cell pack. Dont remember why but I had to run it on a 4 cell pack and the heli started acting just as you said yours is. Took some head scratching for a bit till I figured out the servo didnt have the poop at 4.8v. One servo upgrade later and the Hawk took to the sky like the bird its named for. Give this a look and see if this could be your problem too. You also didnt say how much use your engine has seen. Maybe in the end your OS needs a new piston and liner but I thought i had engine problem too till I swaped for a stronger collective servo. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the servo is the culprit. Mike
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 AM
pilot77

Umm Not to repeat what other people are probab;y telling u ,.but get some help if u haven;t already. engine tuning can eb a pain in the arse by yourself, if its not what pipercub suggested.

have u checked the temp? shove your finger up the engines bum on the backplate. if its hot to touch then u either have a air leak or u have the needles wayy to lean..
if irts cool to touch then u can afford to lean it some.. i had an os 32 and i think for starters it was at about 1 and a half turns out on the main with the low screw at factory setting. then after break in the main was about 1 turn out. of course it will all dpeend on your muffler fuel etc.
i think once u establish whether or not its hot ,cool or whatever it makes things a littel easier to evaluate .
Old 08-28-2004, 11:03 AM
vallon

Ok I will check these things, and see what I can do. Most of all I do want to find someone to take a look at it but now I have gotten too busy to scheduel appointments so this may have to wait until spring or something. By then I will have had plenty or practice with the sim after getting it and will be able to fly decent and then just get my engine working right then I am all set. I know engines can be a pain, but I want to learn them. I love engines.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:08 PM
vallon

Well I am back on my 30% fuel mix which my copter is getting hight again. The thing is I can get my helicopter to go high, well at least 20 feet in the air. I won't let it get any higher being that I am not good at flying yet. I just know there are things I must need to adjust because when I put the copter half stick it does not lift up yet until it is about two or three notches past half stick. I heard different people say that is should get light on the skids at half stick. Mine does not do that, and the servo is not hooked up wrong. I am guess I still need to adjust my speed valve? Can anyone tell me? I am just still doing engine tests now. My hovering skills are starting to get stronger and stronger. I can keep the copter within a 10 foot square. I mean it still bounces a bit as the engine just does not seem strong to hold a certain height. I mean I know that I will be constantly moving the trottle up and down, but not that much. I keep getting some power loss. Its like I get power out of it, then its like it gets kinda hot and wont life at full throttle, then when I adjust the neadle a bit, then it has power again, but still not a whole lot. I know it is the neadles, but like someone said before it is kind of a pain adjusting them.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:48 AM
AutoMike

Vallon. if you live on the north side of indy go to the HobbyTown USA stoe on 82nd street,845-4106 or the new one in Greenwood,7765 S US 31,882-3175. The one on 82nd st is big into helis and it sounds like you need some one-on one time with someone. In any case also get the Ray's Heli guide and read it over and over and maybe over again, both stores sell the guide and it REALLY is what the newbie needs to get many questions answered as well as learn the proper setup and soforth. Mike
Old 08-29-2004, 08:41 PM
vallon

I bought my heli at the Hobby Town USA on 82nd street up north. So far those guys have been kinda busy up there. I guess I am worried about bugging people. Most of the time when I go up there they are always busy or talking to others. Sometimes they do seem bothered when I ask questions. I will still have someone look at it after a bit. Right now I am still in hover stages so they power does not really matter unless I am doing aerobatics or 3D. But you are right I just need one on one conversatioin.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:18 PM
AutoMike

Vallon, do you have a copy of Rays heli manual? It sounds like you may have at least some set-up issues that the guide can help you find, understand and fix. I too had no one to turn to for everything that came up while learning to fly.What little i did figure out on my own was nowhere as much as I learned once I got the book. Check it out. Mike
Old 08-29-2004, 11:32 PM
vallon

Ok I will do that. I don't know why I have not done that before, but I will now. I know it will have the answers. Thanks Mike.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:16 PM
pilot77

**** the guys at a store Vallon, go to a club in the long run u will be better off . ive been in the hobby over a year. and have gone it alone aside from the net (which is not reallt going it alone at all =) ) .. and there has been a lot of frustrating hair pulling moments which woudl have been solved in an instant had i travelled to meet other flyers. im sure id be a better pilot had i not spent the last year fiddling instead of flying.

do it mate get soem help.. u;ll enjoy it better without hassles and worry of something not being right =)
Old 08-31-2004, 02:50 PM
vallon

ok thats it then. I am going to talk to one of the guys there or call this one guy that the store manager gave me his number. Well at least on the bright side I am getting my hovering down. I am feeling a lot more comfy with the control of the helicoptor. I need to learn not to set it down hard. My aluminum skids are starting to bend. I had to bend them back. Landing is one of the things I need to start working on now. My hovering is now within a 6 foot square.