Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Crashes, and how NOT to....

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Crashes, and how NOT to....

Old 08-31-2004, 10:48 AM
kakemanx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashes, and how NOT to....

Isnt there any moderators that could make a sticky post where Amature and Pro heli pilots could post pictures of crashes?
Not for my amusement , but with a little explaining to why the pilot think what happend happend...
Could be usefull for everyone to actually get some of the piloterrors explained..

Anyone?, could this be usefull?

-cookie-
Old 08-31-2004, 05:12 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Crashes, and how NOT to....

but with a little explaining to why the pilot think what happend happend...
Crashes come from mechanical or some kind of radio failure (RX, TX, servo, gyro, glitches) or dumb thumb (forget what your doing or don't know what your doing), there is know other explanation .
Old 08-31-2004, 05:43 PM
kakemanx

I agree...

Errors comes from mechanical, or pilot error (or both, and for thoose of You that goes: hey, what about nature forces?... well, thats an pilot error to , but often does the pilot have valueful infor for others..
This is what we do in the paragliderclubs... we evaluate, so that people that are flying after us don't make the same misstakes, or perhaps learns to
get out of a situasjon.. (or best, don't get into it )

Hope someone have stories, fu** ups, or something...
Old 08-31-2004, 06:15 PM
wisdom-seeker

Crashes come from mechanical or some kind of radio failure (RX, TX, servo, gyro, glitches) or dumb thumb (forget what your doing or don't know what your doing), there is know other explanation
You're forgetting non-pilot stupidity. An example is someone disregarding frequency control, or malicious mischief (I've been shot down by a jerk). Another example is a child or dog running out onto the field at a moment when the only choice is to dump it or kill someone. That happened to me when my son was two years old and got away from his mother.

Also there's misadventure (bad kharma?). Examples are mid-air collisions, or freak air currents. Have you ever been on approach with a plank and have a 25 MPH wind suddenly stop? Similar things happen to helis. A sudden drop in wind as you're setting down can turn a soft landing into a very hard one. The wind can also do things like form a vortex, like a dust-devil.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Leon

Well a crash investigation thread may be a fun idea
Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 AM
kakemanx

Hope i could be a great idea, because i havent crashed yet (hard anyway, just minor bruises), but I KNOW I WILL!
Just hope to avoid the most obvious, stupid and amature errors... but... NA!... doubt it
Old 09-01-2004, 02:06 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

lots of time on the simulator and a quick check of all the bits before each day of flying goes a long way to keeping your bird out of the dirt.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:09 AM
kakemanx

Heheh... probably done all possible way of crashing on the sim, but still... i'm confident i'll get to now the dirt at some point
Old 09-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Its only a matter of time.

I want to become a good pilot, but hate to crash, so i always try to fly just a littel beyond my limits, but only for a second or two at a time. i am becoming comfortable flying backwards now, but it took a long time. lots of practice on the sim then very slowly and carefully begin by spining the tail around backwards and flying for a short time. It was very scarey at first, so i would turn forwards again for a while. Each time increasing the distance untill eventually i am flying continously backwards, and remaining calm. Next goal is to fly upside down. i have been been working for a couple months on the simulator and i am ready to try it this weekend. a little at a time of course

Still, with all the practice and being carefull, i have had 5 crashes in 18 months. Painfull experience, but the progress is very satisfying.