Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 01:56 AM
N71505

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy

New to the Heli thing, bought a Nexus Legato last year ... never had enough help to get it airborn, finally conviced a local to help set it up. flew about 3 gallons of fuel through with only two boom strikes (seems the flapping rotor flaps down and hits the boom if you land to hard ... oops). Purchased a Raptor kit last week, and now have another gallon burned. Raptor seems more stable. Still don't have the nerve to push it off to FFF yet. Planes are easy, they seem to fly in spite of what the pilot does to it. Not so with the Heli.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:01 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Default New Guy

If you have a sim it will help you to learn the basics of FFF. It's more or less like flying a plane.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:11 AM
N71505

Default New Guy

Have the older Deluxe version, computer not quite up to the task. It does the planes ok, the heli doesn't work so well, all I get is a white screen. The computer seems to think the heli's are hard to fly too!
Old 08-29-2002, 02:15 AM
Vulturetec

Default New Guy

I'll echo Fury's comment about them being like an airplane.

I got up the nerve to leap into real forward-flight with my new Caliber-30 last week (It was the 6th tankfull).

After getting past the first turn and feeling out how much rudder it took to be coordinated, flying the helicopter around in circuits was absolutely no different than an airplane. After a couple of full circuits in the pattern I reduced power/collective a little in downwind, let it glide around base to final, flared and added a little power to a nice hover.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:27 AM
N71505

Default New Guy

I'll get it around the circuit soon, still want to make sure the radio is set up properly, I've had to do most of the set up myself. I stopped by Hobby Warehouse and had the guy check it over. I had a few issues with head speed, pitch was to much to soon. I think everything is in order now. will find out during hover practice on lunch break tommorrow.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Default SIM

On your sim you may need to turn down or off some of the special effects when doing the heli. It also helps a lot to De fragment your computer to get it working its best.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:31 AM
N71505

Default New Guy

I've tried a few different things with the sim, I think there just isn't enough juice to run the heli. I do get the heli, the problem is every thing around it is just a white screen. No way to tell if your moving, or how close to the ground. The planes work just fine.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:31 AM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Default New Guy

Hmmmm, I don't know about that flying like an airplane quote. I think they are VERY differnt beasts. A heli flys like a plane in very few cases, like when starting loops and rolls. How often do people give a plane down elevator to go forward??? It's very easy to fly a plane without rudder.... Try that with a heli.

I liked how my heli instructor explained it, "Flying a helicopter is like flying an airplane on the verge of stall at all times."
Old 09-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Jim L Cher

Default New Guy

Perhaps you should check out the RC Heli Pilot Locator at:

http://www.p-locate.rc-helipad.com/

Jim